trash the hood supports

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
:love: mine they have little metal clips that allow them to come off the Balls, for engine changes I don't unbolt the hppd at all now just open it so it's standing straight up (I have a piece of Pipe lagging I sit on the screen that's the right thickness to stop it going too far back)

bapmk3

Nov 15, 2007
utah
yeah, the hydrolic hood supports are nice i admit. but they go out and you keep on dumping money into them. so im getting a prop rod from an 06 malibu and be done witht the whole thing. my hatch ones are going out too, and i need to get those done. i have a 2x2 sitting in my back for the hatch.

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
Nothing better than REAL OEM, your kidding right? Toyota Designs some great stuff no doubt, but to say no aftermarket parts sold in a auto parts are better then OEM is just plain wrong. The gas shocks on my car were Tokico, do they make some stuff yes, but I've also seen many vendors drop Tokico replacement suspension shocks of rour cars due to high rates of return and poor quality. No company stays the same forever, some be get better some get just down right bad. Mighty Lift is a quality inexpensive Gas Shock. I use them at work on equipment, the fact the Auto Zone buyer choose their line wasnt because he went to lunch with one of the salesmen one day. What I think Autozone did was ask Mighty Lift to provide parts numbers that could replace vehicles gas shocks with ones that had a little more beef, hopefully adding up to a longer useful life. You see if Autozone doesn't get a rash of returns back, then the Autozone Engineer who choose Mighty Life gets a nice big fat bonus, if they see tons of returns his ass is on the line. It's all about earning honest money with some people.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
IJ. said:
:love: mine they have little metal clips that allow them to come off the Balls, for engine changes I don't unbolt the hppd at all now just open it so it's standing straight up (I have a piece of Pipe lagging I sit on the screen that's the right thickness to stop it going too far back)

ha ha, you said Balls. ;)

sorry, then inner teen came out.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
cletusxl9.gif

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
What the others said. I'm using the Mighty brand too. They're my first set since stock, which lasted 18 years. The hatch ones are still original and work fine. Not as good as new but no problems holding it up.

And maybe it's just me but anyone with the IQ of a speed bump should be able to look at the hood struts and figure this out without having to ask...

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
$45 and like all of 5-6 min to do. I don't see the problem hood struts are easy to do.:dunno:

Yes mine are like yours IJ pop the clip and they are off the hood side for easy engine work.

bapmk3

Nov 15, 2007
utah
sorry i didn't know it was such a tuchie subject i guess i go sit in my corner now with my plain old non hydrolic hood.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
suprageezer said:
Nothing better than REAL OEM, your kidding right? Toyota Designs some great stuff no doubt, but to say no aftermarket parts sold in a auto parts are better then OEM is just plain wrong. The gas shocks on my car were Tokico, do they make some stuff yes, but I've also seen many vendors drop Tokico replacement suspension shocks of rour cars due to high rates of return and poor quality. No company stays the same forever, some be get better some get just down right bad. Mighty Lift is a quality inexpensive Gas Shock. I use them at work on equipment, the fact the Auto Zone buyer choose their line wasnt because he went to lunch with one of the salesmen one day. What I think Autozone did was ask Mighty Lift to provide parts numbers that could replace vehicles gas shocks with ones that had a little more beef, hopefully adding up to a longer useful life. You see if Autozone doesn't get a rash of returns back, then the Autozone Engineer who choose Mighty Life gets a nice big fat bonus, if they see tons of returns his ass is on the line. It's all about earning honest money with some people.
You are correct, they chose the brand for longevity. They perform just good enough so people will accept them as "working", but they don't ever completely fail. Where as stock units work better, but may wear out after 20 years. (boo hoo)

I own a set of Mightly Lift hatch struts, because for such an insignificant part that I use pretty rarely, it doesn't matter to me and I don't mind buying cheaper parts. I will say though, that the action they produce is complete rubbish, and I doubt they seal out water as well as the OEM brackets do after seeing how the quickly engineered bracket fits.

They work, however, they are a far cry from better.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
I've still got the original's from 89... Still throw the hood right up when i pop it. I hate prop hoods.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
My 87 is the kind you have to unscrew the ball. Still not difficult. Either 10 or 12mm wrench, and some PB, just in case.

Yakuzastinger

will she ever run right?
Dec 18, 2005
Greensboro, NC
i just take them off immediatly on all suprs if they work or not i lay the hood back on the windshield SO MUCH ROOM TO DO ANYTHING it rest on a wiper arm and u guys need to get to a gym the hood aint heavy lift the iron monster on my 78 eldy caddy

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
^^^the caddy has big spring's on the hindges.i have to figure out a hood support for my supra.my new hood doesn't have provision's for the stock support's:(
i work under the hood's of car's every day and hate when the support's are blown.when i need to do a windsheild on a maxima,the first thing i grab is a broom handle

SilverSupraT

7M '78 Toyota Pickup
Oct 3, 2005
Eastern WA
www.geocities.com
Hmmm... setting the hood on the windshield? Sounds like you're asking for a damaged hood/windshield/wipers/paint.

Doing major work, then just take off the hood. Popping it for routine oil/coolant/battery/whatever check, lift supports are the way to go. And WOW! people can't spend $30-50... I thought I was a cheap ass MKIII owner lol.

Oh and just had to say, they are gas lift supports not hydraulic (yes I know there is oil in there that doesn't make it hydraulic.)

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Yakuzastinger said:
i just take them off immediatly on all suprs if they work or not i lay the hood back on the windshield SO MUCH ROOM TO DO ANYTHING it rest on a wiper arm and u guys need to get to a gym the hood aint heavy lift the iron monster on my 78 eldy caddy
Judging by this post my conclusion is that you are very low on brains, and big on physical labor. Maybe a landscaper or something?