This is why you should change your Fuel Filter

z287mgte

Nov 18, 2008
ohio
Car has been acting a little weird so I decided to replace the fuel filter. This is what mine looked like.
DSC00909..jpgDSC00911..jpg
Both of these are post fuel filter. I let the fuel settle for a little while.
DSC00921..JPG
This is what the same bottle is shaken.
DSC00920..JPG
I was scared that this was coming from the tank so i took off the other end and this is what came out (before filter)
DSC00923..JPG
This is what they look like together. So yes this is what was going to my injectors. I showed this to some friends and they are now going to change there fuel filters as well.
Hope this helps anyone thinking about not changing your fuel filter...
Car has 150,000 miles, Turbo, 88

z287mgte

Nov 18, 2008
ohio
I was having sporadic idle and wot a/f was also sporadic. Drove 2 hours home and never went wot but idle seemed a lot better. Need more time to see if anything else has differed. Going to sonic clean fuel injectors soonish and hope to see a big improvement.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
As the voice of reason... it's a LOT easier to test for flow and pull a sample than it is to change the filter. Furthermore, the fuel filter on the Supra is engineered to last basically forever.

Not saying that the OP's isn't pooched, just that I suspect it's the exception rather than the rule.

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
Winter Park, Florida, United States
GrimJack;1610448 said:
As the voice of reason... it's a LOT easier to test for flow and pull a sample than it is to change the filter. Furthermore, the fuel filter on the Supra is engineered to last basically forever.

Not saying that the OP's isn't pooched, just that I suspect it's the exception rather than the rule.

I agree. I actually read that long ass article about the Supra's fuel filter.

z287mgte

Nov 18, 2008
ohio
I read that article as well and i think it said that after 20 years it should be changed. Well guess what 20 years is upon us. The reason mine looks like that is because its been 20 years and after 20 years things tend to rust up. You can get a fuel filter for $4-$18 and would you rather be safe than sorry. Took me 1 hour to change and glad i did it. It is a true small price to pay to have a little peace of mind.

Jamie-B

Jun 21, 2010
NSW
Does anybody have a part number for the fuel filter?
Im guessing im probably going to have to order one in as my local car shop is pretty useless, and im pretty sure the fuel filters on these are quiet different than the regular inline filters?

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
IJ.;1610501 said:
I replace them in any car I buy I figure it's cheap insurance and not worth the risk of losing an engine over $20 and some frustration fitting the new one.

+1. I understand how--theoretically--the fuel filter should last the life of the car, but you never know what's gotten in the tank over 20 years. Plus, most of us install aftermarket fuel pumps and with the tank out it is easy as pie to change! (that's how I did mine).

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
So, are you saying the fuel was going into the filter clean, and coming out filthy? Something doesn't add up.

z287mgte

Nov 18, 2008
ohio
I don't get it either. Went in clean, came out dirty.(Just like a tea bag) You can get a fuel filter anywhere, does not have to be by Toyota. (Either it is old rust from the tank or fuel filter was rusting to hell. Or both) Want to check tank the tank one day to be sure.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
mkiiichip;1610583 said:
So, are you saying the fuel was going into the filter clean, and coming out filthy? Something doesn't add up.

How does it not, it's a filter, and over time they get dirty. Now imagine a 20 year old or even 10 y/o filter constanly being used every time the car is on, it's going to get very very dirty with lots of buildup as any other filter would.