This is why you should change your Fuel Filter

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
IwantMKIII;1610727 said:
As I mentioned previously, I have had the SAME results on several different vehicles including 3 supras and a camry, all with the "lifetime" filters. Honestly, the camry was the worst, it was darker and dirtier than the OP's by far. The filters may last a lifetime, but its still a FILTER, which mean dirt will accumulate over time and A) needs to be replaced or B)needs to be cleaned (which I have done before by simply reversing the flow with some pressurized water with excellent results).

Yes, and I have done the same and had nothing but clear clean fuel come out of the filter. If your gas is looking like that you are getting rust or other shit in your fuel tank.

DeadlyWrenches

Jan 9, 2010
CT
Changing your fuel filter is not hard. Anyone that says otherwise is lying or is detached from reality. You need a 14mm flare nut wrench and a 17mm socket for the banjo bolt.

Hard? Hard is helicoiling the rear 3 exhaust manifold studs with the cylinder head still attached. Hard is dropping a transmission in dirt and replacing the clutch. Replacing your fuel filter is not hard.

The main reason is the % of ethanol in today's gasoline is higher than it ever has been. This causes gas to "go bad" fairly quickly these days. Unless your car is driven every single day, the ethanol has a chance to absorb moisture and that is what causes all the corrosion. It's an epidemic these days that will only get worse.

pnutcar

1jz Asshole :)
Jan 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
modmonster2008;1610525 said:
hope its not a noob question but where is the fuel filter located on the mk3 supras?

46463_899092718980_15904459_48400613_6741942_n.jpg

Attachments

• fuel filter..jpg
    fuel filter..jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
I'd just like to add that I changed mine and literally what appeared to be MUD came out of the inlet. The tank had a lot of sediment in it, which I cleaned out, and the filter was TERRIBLE. I never had any fuel pressure symptoms, never knew there was an issue until I pulled it off and brown poured out of it. So it may be a lifetime filter under ideal conditions, but the world is imperfect and tanks do get contaminated.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
IwantMKIII;1611139 said:
The theory behind this is......?

side tracking here here is the theroy behind it is the same as the screens on some gas can filters. water has surface tension, where gas doesnt. the holes in the filter are to small to allow water to pass cause the surface tension makes it for a larger drop than will pass. while it does work in a gavity powered filter funnel ,as ive seen water still in the funnel when i was done. the pump has enough suction to break surface tension and pull water with it.

this is what i was told, if im wrong let me know

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
I've been taught (by numerous 10+ year ASE Master Techs / college professors) that the fuel filter at the inlet to the fuel pump filters to a micron rating smaller than that of a particle of water, therefore the filter "sock" will keep water from entering the pump and gas lines.

The fuel system also has 4 different type of filters, the one at the pump, between pump and rail, at the FPR, and at each individual injector.