The (old) Official Gun Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

87mk111

Metal Head
Sep 29, 2009
akron/canton, ohio
MDCmotorsports;1603784 said:
Good. When you're done converting the daughter, convert the parents. Most likely they have been spoon fed lies for years about firearms, or they too are afraid of them.

lol, youre probably right. So i went hadgun shopping today, and I think I might getting a Walther pk380 after my 21st (tomorrow) for a CCW gun. Any thought on this gun?

Dachande

Arrrrrr Matey
Apr 3, 2005
South Carolina
I got my hands on one right after they started hitting stores and really like the way it felt. Lack of slide catch caught me as odd, though. Not sure how they shoot, but I'm sure there are plenty of reviews by now.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
IMO, the PPK, although a well put together firearm, is NOT a good CCW for a first timer, or for a seasoned veteran as their primary. The PPK, for me, is not a true point and shoot pistol. Might I suggest a subcompact glock, XD, or other pistol?

In the end though, it's WHAT you are comfortable with. If you shoot better with the PPK, by all means carry it daily.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Dachande;1605226 said:
PK380, not a PPK.

DOH!

The PK380 is a wonderful little piece. Ive shot them, and like them. The fact they are the same size (about) as a P22 is amazing.

My only negative on the pistol would be the .380 round. It does have stopping power, but purchasing them may stop your pocket book quicker than it would stop your attacker.

staehlin180

Mar 5, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I sometimes get tired of the "stopping power" argument. Granted a .380 or a 9mm wont pack as much of a punch as a .40 or .45, they can still be effectively used (with maybe the exception of shooting a tweaker, or someone of that nature), especially with good marksmanship and the right ammo (i.e. Hydro shocks, hollow points etc.) In the end, Its all about personal preference. I haven't really encountered a "bad gun" yet (except for a buddy of mine's POS Llama .45), and I've always thought that guns are a lot like shoes, you've gotta find whats comfortable and works the best. And to anyone who wants to piss and moan about 9mm not having "stopping power" I'd like to see you get back up after a well placed shot.

Dachande

Arrrrrr Matey
Apr 3, 2005
South Carolina
Caliber debates are worse than 7M vs 1JZ arguments. Plenty of people are killed by .22LR each year..simply put, bullets destroy things..some just do it differently.

Here is some gun pron pics I took since this page is so far lacking in that department!
4750381799_94fb66304b_b.jpg

4750962706_2b0bc7ff07_b.jpg

4505366239_26dde6e89b_z.jpg

ret

Geekin out
Nov 20, 2006
Lynchburg
www.cardomain.com
staehlin180;1605547 said:
I sometimes get tired of the "stopping power" argument. Granted a .380 or a 9mm wont pack as much of a punch as a .40 or .45, they can still be effectively used (with maybe the exception of shooting a tweaker, or someone of that nature), especially with good marksmanship and the right ammo (i.e. Hydro shocks, hollow points etc.) In the end, Its all about personal preference. I haven't really encountered a "bad gun" yet (except for a buddy of mine's POS Llama .45), and I've always thought that guns are a lot like shoes, you've gotta find whats comfortable and works the best. And to anyone who wants to piss and moan about 9mm not having "stopping power" I'd like to see you get back up after a well placed shot.
I agree with just about everything you've said completely. I have heard stories, however, that in the winter there have been instances that a 9mm will not actually impact the person through their poofy jacket. I've yet to see any confirmed stories of this, though, so I'm not 100% of how accurate that is.
Dachande;1605582 said:
Caliber debates are worse than 7M vs 1JZ arguments. Plenty of people are killed by .22LR each year..simply put, bullets destroy things..some just do it differently.
When I bought my ruger, the guy working at the gun store tried to sell me on some Taurus .22 because the .22 is still the killing most caliber in America. It may be true, but there's so many more questions to consider - like how many more bullets did it take from the .22 to effectively stop the attacker/person you're trying to kill for example.

I personally feel perfectly safe right now with a 9mm. I like 9mm because the bullet is big enough to knock someone down and fuck someone up (depending on the bullet), and because the bullet is a smaller caliber, you can typically fit more bullets into the same size magazine. There's also the issue of 9mm ammo being far cheaper to shoot than any other gun, save .22.

Speaking of 9mms, I have pretty much decided I'm getting a Gen IV Glock 17 for my next gun and as my primary CC. It's too bad now that the summer's over and I'm back in class, I'm making about a quarter of what I did over the summer. :(

Dachande

Arrrrrr Matey
Apr 3, 2005
South Carolina
People will always argue what is better and what sucks. I see lots of pics of Glocks exploding on people every year. This doesn't mean Glocks are more prone to exploding (compared to other guns with partially unsupported chambers), it just means a hell of a lot more people own Glocks and use improper ammo than the other options. The same argument can be made with .22 vs XXX caliber. Lots of people own at least 1 .22LR gun, making it more likely to be used in a shooting. Anyway, I'd prefer not to be shot with any caliber bullet.

The 4th gen Glock is a good choice. I prefer the aggressive grip on them, but my friend took some sandpaper to his issued gun's grips. I am still not a huge Glock fan, but I would go for a 4th gen if I had to have one.
3228909807_2efa0267cf_b.jpg

346fc3s

Aug 20, 2010
Benbrook, TX
ret;1607427 said:
I agree with just about everything you've said completely. I have heard stories, however, that in the winter there have been instances that a 9mm will not actually impact the person through their poofy jacket. I've yet to see any confirmed stories of this, though, so I'm not 100% of how accurate that is.

I don't know about ballistics tests but from personal experience a 9mm has more penetration power than a .45. My coworkers and I will go out in back of the shop and shoot things like junk cars, phone books, tires, 50 gallon drums and whatever we find that looks like fun. I have a S&W M&P 9mm and my buddy has a Kimber .45, with both of us shooting hollow points the 9mm will go through 2 gallon jugs of water and into a third while the .45 stops in the first one. We have shot other things with similar results but most are less easily quantified. The .45 puts a bigger hole in stuff but the 9mm goes much farther.

---------- Post added at 02:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 PM ----------

Oh yeah, and since I haven't posted in here before I have a Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm, a AR15 with Rock River upper and lowers and some mag pul add on bits that I built, a 22Magnum bolt action rifle just for fun and a silly little 22lr semi auto rifle for blasting away on the range when I don't feel like spending any money.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Controlled penetration is one of the exact reasons I carry .45 ACP. I want it to stop. In the target - not go though it and kill the innocent bystander 1/2 a block away. (And yes, I realize you should do your best to ensure the area behind your target is clear, but when bullets start flying, you don't always have the luxury.)

As you said ".45 puts a big hole in stuff" - the stuff I'm aiming at, not the stuff behind it. Wound cavity size is what does the damage and gives a firearm it's killing power. I don't want a through and through wound. I want the round to hit, expand and do as much damage to the intended target as possible without coming out the back side.

Due to the mass of a .45 round, there's not much chance of clothing stopping it, but it's low speed makes over-penetration a lot less likely. Still possible, but less likely.

With that said, any round is dangerous. Anyone who says any differently is being very naive.

I've just never liked 9mm, but that's a preference. Either one is a decent self defense round when it comes down to it.

And I still stand by the axiom that the absolute best gunfight is the one you managed to avoid altogether. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.