The (old) Official Gun Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

staehlin180

Mar 5, 2007
Sacramento, CA
The Yugo SKSs are some of the better ones out there, they don't have the chrome lined bore like others, but the receiver is a lot thicker & heavier, its an all around beefier rifle when compared to the Russian, Romanian or Chinese versions. I've had my Yugo since '04 and its really rugged, plus when it comes to ammo, its a garbage disposal. I can shoot the cheapest surplus ammo without issue.

87mk111

Metal Head
Sep 29, 2009
akron/canton, ohio
well thats good to hear then, i only paid 140 for mine, it's in good shape, just needed cleaned was all. I havent fired it yet, cause i dont have any 7.62x39mm yet

staehlin180

Mar 5, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Mine was in great shape, but it was all slathered in cosmoline. I just broke it down, threw it in the dishwasher when the parents were outta town, oiled it and refinished the stock. The whole reason I bought mine was because when I bought it in 2004, a 20 round box of Wolf 7.62X39 was only $1.99 I bought a case of 1,000 rounds for only about $110 after taxes. You can get any ammunition for that rifle and it'll work good. However, I would stay away from the Serbian ammo made by Privi Partizan, as it is corrosive.

87mk111

Metal Head
Sep 29, 2009
akron/canton, ohio
the only ammo for it I can find right now is the Wolf ammo which is 6.99 for a box of 20 rounds. i'm gonna checj some gun shows tho to see if I can find any surplus ammo.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Cerakoted the slide & barrel on my Glock 20 - slide is Tungsten Grey and barrel/extractor is Black. Pretty pleased how it came out:

Glock 20 01 WebPost.jpg

Glock 20 02 WebPost.jpg

Kinda needed it (below) - it's a 19 yr old weapon (one of the 1st Glock 20's to come out) - got it about a month before I was deployed to Desert Storm. Replaced the old night sights with Trijicon yellow rear, green front while I was at it.

Glock 20 01 Old.jpg

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
I wasn't sure where to put this so I figured here would be good.

A friend is living in an apartment and said the leasing office called him over and said they are making changes to the lease. Tenants are no longer to own any type of firearm including air soft guns. If you are found to have any type of firearm you will be evicted and in breach of the lease and be responsible for all the fees associated with breaking your lease.

First reaction is, how can they deny your right to have a gun and second how would they know? Well, if you are seen carrying a firearm on their property you are in breach. Also, if you need any type of repair in your apartment the repairmen come in and if they see any sign of a firearm they report it to the office so they can find out pretty easy.

As for how can they deny your rights, I was thinking it is a private residence and business. If you agree to the terms of the lease then you agree to give up your rights, correct? Is there a way to fight this sort of thing or is moving the only option to keep your guns?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
First of all, they can't make a change to a signed lease until the lease period has expired...simply tell them that and keep the present lease. I would write a few letters to the appropriate state representatives...in view of AZ's recent right to carry laws, you should get results. If they try to pull something, either leave or get a lawyer.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
What Jdub says is correct - a revised lease is not valid without your signature. Just don't sign it and stick to the terms of the original lease - then move when the current lease expires.

You could make a legal battle over this, but I'm not sure if it would be worth it. Vote with your dollars and go rent elsewhere when your current lease expires.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
I'm not positive if they are actually trying to change the current lease or if it is a change being made is for when the lease has to be renewed. From the sound of it they are trying to get people to agree to the new lease. I'm sure most people just go in and sign the new lease without really asking questions. My friend didn't indicate if he signed or not just that he is planning to move now because of this.

I think it's funny they are banning airsoft guns also, how about squirt guns, video game light guns, paintball or nerf? I wonder why the specified air soft and not paintball. Maybe airsoft guns look too realistic...

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The apartment management can make this stipulation - it is their property after all. It is also the choice of the people to live there or not - passives should enjoy living there secure in the thought that there are no weapons. Should make a nice target for the criminal element in that area who would also be secure that there are no weapons to threaten their activity.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
jdub;1602351 said:
Should make a nice target for the criminal element in that area who would also be secure that there are no weapons to threaten their activity.

And therefore a good reason to move away ASAP.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Just thought I would share this, gf shooting for the first time = total success ;) .

I went shooting and the gf came along, she has been wanting to shoot for a long time now but has always backed out. I never wanted to pressure her into it to strongly. I figure she has to want to shoot and feel comfortable or it wouldn't be a good experience if I was forcing a gun into her hands.

This time we were out in the woods(legally and safely before anyone gets jumpy). I asked if she wanted to shoot a little bit and she was excited to try it out this time. I'm no training expert so I'm hoping I did everything correctly for a first time shooter.

She has basic gun knowledge but I went over all the basics first. Always point the gun down range or at the ground. I stressed that even if you Know the gun is empty still treat it as if it's loaded. I showed her how to visually see and physically feel if the gun was loaded or cocked ready to fire. I showed her how to rack the slide back and drop the mag, etc all before handing her the pistol.

We went to our make shift lane and I handed her an empty pistol explaining proper grip and lining up the sights on the target etc. I let her dry fire for a while to get a feel for the trigger trying to explain how to squeeze the trigger slowly and when it fires it should be a surprise. She got the idea behind it being a surprise and not to clinch, anticipate or pull suddenly on the trigger.

I loaded 1 round in the mag and went back to the lane maybe 15 feet back from the target and let her rack and fire the pistol for the first time. She missed the paper high and was kinda upset but right away wanted to try again which I thought was great. I gave her a full mag and she missed way high again first shot, I corrected her stance and gave some pointers. Next shot hit the paper and they kept getting closer into the bulls eye and by the 5th shot I think she nailed the orange! She finished off the mag with the rest of the shots in the black.

At that point it started to rain so we had to pack it up and head out and sadly her target got mixed into the trash targets in the rush to get out of the rain. She was really wanting to take the target to work and show off her first time shooting.

She's already asked when are we going to go shooting again, so next time I'm going to bring up "So, how about we stop at the gun shop and see what type of pistol you might like" ;) .

ret

Geekin out
Nov 20, 2006
Lynchburg
www.cardomain.com
So apparently for a kid my age, I'm a pretty good shot. Last time I went shooting I had a few people watching me shoot over my shoulder. I feel like I've been shooting about average/less than average since I have a kind of tight grouping at 10 yards. Maybe I'll take a pic of some of my targets next time and see what some of the more experienced guys in the Supra community have to say. :p

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
87mk111;1603271 said:
Sweet dude. i wish mine wanted to go shooting, she's afraid of guns lol. :3d_frown:

She's afraid of them, most likely because she hasn't been around them.

Start her off with a small 22 pistol or rifle. Something with no kick or very much recoil.

Then graduate her to larger caliber when she feels comfortable.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
MDCmotorsports;1603541 said:
She's afraid of them, most likely because she hasn't been around them.

Start her off with a small 22 pistol or rifle. Something with no kick or very much recoil.

Then graduate her to larger caliber when she feels comfortable.

Agreed - every person I've ever met who was afraid of guns and then handled one lost that fear.

Teach the basics, focus on safe handling and be sure she understands that it's just a tool, and it functions in a predictable manner.

87mk111

Metal Head
Sep 29, 2009
akron/canton, ohio
Supracentral;1603562 said:
Agreed - every person I've ever met who was afraid of guns and then handled one lost that fear.

Teach the basics, focus on safe handling and be sure she understands that it's just a tool, and it functions in a predictable manner.

I'll give it a shot, but her parents are kinda anti gun, so i guess we'll see how this plays out. Thanks for the advice guys.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
87mk111;1603735 said:
I'll give it a shot, but her parents are kinda anti gun, so i guess we'll see how this plays out. Thanks for the advice guys.

Good. When you're done converting the daughter, convert the parents. Most likely they have been spoon fed lies for years about firearms, or they too are afraid of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.