The (old) Official Gun Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Supracentral;1582013 said:
Ridiculous. Took 7 days here in GA for both me and Theresa. $35, no classes, etc...

Welcome to the liberal NE.

Passed the test no problem, also got to try out a few Glocks for the first time in a while (17 and 35, both in 9mm). I wish I kept the paper, I had a 3" group at 25' with the 17. Looks like I found my first pistol.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
foreverpsycotic;1585411 said:
Welcome to the liberal NE.

You can keep it. I moved out of NY in 1992 for exactly that reason. I won't live in a state that won't recognize my rights.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Supracentral;1585412 said:
You can keep it. I moved out of NY in 1992 for exactly that reason. I won't live in a state that won't recognize my rights.

When the rent is free, cant find a decent job (laid off 3 weeks ago) and my parents put up with my car and paintball obsessions, CT looks really nice.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Supracentral;1585006 said:
Congrats!

Today we added a pair of inexpensive and practical guns to our collection.

A Ruger 10-22 for Theresa:

34188_1464902376109_1040008222_31360562_4126838_n.jpg

And a Mossberg 88 Security 12 GA for me:

37422_1464903336133_1040008222_31360563_8129359_n.jpg

I see grey hair mike;-)

87mk111

Metal Head
Sep 29, 2009
akron/canton, ohio
:dunno: CAnt remeber if I posted in this tread yet, so here goes. I have a remington 870 20 gauge i got when I was 12, a M44 Mosin nagant Carbine, and a M91-30 Mosin Nagant longbarrel. :bigun2:

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Going to the range tomorrow, but need to rent as I still need to do part 2 and 3 of my permit (local then state). Is there anything I "need" to try? 99% sure it is going to be in 9mm, as .45 is way to expensive to use at a range. For reference, the glock 17 felt almost perfect in my hand, the most comfortable pistol I have used to date.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Give a Glock 22 a go...essentially the same frame as a 17 ;)
I'd use 9mm if I had too, but a .40 cal is far better in a pistol IMO.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
jdub;1586791 said:
Give a Glock 22 a go...essentially the same frame as a 17 ;)
I'd use 9mm if I had too, but a .40 cal is far better in a pistol IMO.

I also liked the 35(?) that I tried, had a nice feel.

Supracentral;1586795 said:
Pffft. .45 hardball isn't that expensive. ;)

Compared to 9mm, it can be.

I am not doubting that .40 or .45 is a better carry round, I just want to try out other guns and this range is the best place for me to. I have one hour of free range time, so it will probably will end up being ~ one box or so. It costs $12 to rent whatever you want from their shelf, but there are mostly 9mm and .22 guns there (another reason that I am asking about guns chambered in 9mm)

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
foreverpsycotic;1586802 said:
I also liked the 35(?) that I tried, had a nice feel.

Compared to 9mm, it can be.

I am not doubting that .40 or .45 is a better carry round, I just want to try out other guns and this range is the best place for me to. I have one hour of free range time, so it will probably will end up being ~ one box or so. It costs $12 to rent whatever you want from their shelf, but there are mostly 9mm and .22 guns there (another reason that I am asking about guns chambered in 9mm)

Not a good reason to base the decision on what handgun to choose. ;)

Full frame auto - .45 is superb. Compact carry gun or if you want a bit less recoil, .40 cal. If you really want to flatten them, get a 10mm (now that starts getting expensive ammo wise)
A handgun is a somewhat expensive specific use tool - choose wisely.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
jdub;1586817 said:
foreverpsycotic;1586802 said:
but there are mostly 9mm and .22 guns there (another reason that I am asking about guns chambered in 9mm)

I'm forced to agree. I'm not saying 9mm isn't the right choice for you. Simply shoot the largest variety you can, and buy the one you are most comfortable with.

jdub;1586817 said:
Full frame auto - .45 is superb.

That's what I carry daily.

jdub;1586817 said:
Compact carry gun or if you want a bit less recoil, .40 cal. A handgun is a specific use tool - choose wisely.

Agreed.

Things to consider:

How it fits in your hand.
Your comfort level with the gun.
Concealment if it is a concern.
Cost of ammunition.
Availability of ammunition.
Ballistics of ammunition.

In general, anything .38 and above is suitable for self defense, anything smaller and you're really taking a chance.

My reasoning for choosing my .45 (13 years ago - I've been carrying the same gun daily since '97) align well with the list above. I'm a pretty big guy (6'0" 220 lbs), I have really big hands, so a large frame fits well in my hand. I like the way my gun is built, the style of safety and controls, the fact that I can carry it cocked & locked with a round in the chamber. Concealment is not an issue in GA and I carry exposed about 1/2 the time. Cost of ammo isn't a factor for me in the grand scheme of things. .45 is easy to come by, and is very universal. The ballistics of .45 ACP are also a big plus for me. Very big and slow, over-penetration is not an issue, and it creates a massive wound cavity when striking a human. As much as I hate the term, it's got good "knock down power".

Just be sure you are comfortable with what you choose, and be sure it fits the role that you're going to use it for. I'd stay away from oddball calibers (10mm for example) and don't buy a "cheap" gun. There's nothing wrong with an inexpensive gun, but the cheap one's I'd stay the hell away from.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
10mm is more common than you think Mike - it's very popular with mil personnel and the FBI still uses it. I got my Glock 20 back when they 1st came out and took it to Desert Storm with me. The ammo is expensive and can be difficult to find at times, but I reload and have no issues. I've hunted pigs with this gun and I can tell you for a fact the wound channel is devastating. One drawback for a lot of people is it's recoil - the original S&W 1076 based on a .45 frame had a definite "bite" to it. The Glock barrel sits lower relative to the hand and a lot better than the .45 frame versions.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
jdub;1586829 said:
10mm is more common than you think Mike - it's very popular with mil personnel and the FBI still uses it.

I used to have a Colt Delta Elite back in the late 80's early 90's. I know the 10mm well, it's what I carried prior to the .45. But it's a royal pain in the ass to get a hold of sometimes if you're not reloading it. That and the recoil (at least on my Delta) was a bitch to manage. Hard to do double taps with.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Yep! The .45 frame is NOT suited to that round...believe me, the Glock is far better recoil wise. Not nearly the muzzle rise and most of the recoil is transfered in a linear fashion straight down the arm. It does require fairly frequent practice to stay proficient - I guess in that sense it's not mainstream, especially compared to the .40 cal. In any comparison to the .45 or .40 cal though, double taps are definitely easier vs the 10mm.

I would not shoot 10mm in a compact frame - way too much recoil for a small frame auto. That's why went with a .40 cal S&W M&P...uses the same bullet and same reloading dies as the 10mm.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
jdub;1586817 said:

Full frame auto - .45 is superb. Compact carry gun or if you want a bit less recoil, .40 cal. If you really want to flatten them, get a 10mm (now that starts getting expensive ammo wise)
A handgun is a somewhat expensive specific use tool - choose wisely.

It is a great reason to choose what I am gong to shoot for my hour at the range. I am still a good few months out from being able to purchase/carry a pistol, unfortunately I am at the mercy of what is available to use at the range. Chances are, I am not going to purchase a 9mm and I doubt that I will daily carry.

jackmk2mk3

being supra-less sucks
Jan 14, 2010
Fullerton, CA
Supracentral;1586825 said:
Things to consider:

How it fits in your hand.
Your comfort level with the gun.
Concealment if it is a concern.
Cost of ammunition.
Availability of ammunition.
Ballistics of ammunition.

In general, anything .38 and above is suitable for self defense, anything smaller and you're really taking a chance.

My reasoning for choosing my .45 (13 years ago - I've been carrying the same gun daily since '97) align well with the list above. I'm a pretty big guy (6'0" 220 lbs), I have really big hands, so a large frame fits well in my hand. I like the way my gun is built, the style of safety and controls, the fact that I can carry it cocked & locked with a round in the chamber. Concealment is not an issue in GA and I carry exposed about 1/2 the time. Cost of ammo isn't a factor for me in the grand scheme of things. .45 is easy to come by, and is very universal. The ballistics of .45 ACP are also a big plus for me. Very big and slow, over-penetration is not an issue, and it creates a massive wound cavity when striking a human. As much as I hate the term, it's got good "knock down power".

Just be sure you are comfortable with what you choose, and be sure it fits the role that you're going to use it for. I'd stay away from oddball calibers (10mm for example) and don't buy a "cheap" gun. There's nothing wrong with an inexpensive gun, but the cheap one's I'd stay the hell away from.

I completely agree with you here. As of right now I'm a little under a year away from being able to purchase a gun, but when I do it's going to be a 1911 Colt .45 ACP. My reasoning is simple and almost identical to yours: it fits my hand well, I can shoot it comfortably, and in no way to boast I can shoot it with deadly accuracy with out a huge amount of time between shots. In all honesty out of all the guns I have put rounds through, I feel I shot the best with the 1911 Colt. Even compared with the other two .45's. So it really does come down to what you're comfortable with, and what you can shoot accurately. Not that this will keep me from owning other guns :biglaugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.