The (old) Official Gun Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
jdub;1570279 said:
That GunBroker ad has been running for some time now. If you do decide to build an upper, the barrel nut has a torque spec ;)
BTW - LaRue Tactical barrels are made by Lothar Walther.

When it comes to the upper I am either buying complete or paying someone to build it from the parts I gather. From what I have seen, I don't have the tools needed to do it right and the cost of the tools would make it not worth while, at least for now.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
LMK and I'll assemble it for ya for $50 (I have all the correct tools)...the key for the upper is does it use the stock barrel nut. That depends on the forestock you select.

You also need to think about what sight configuration you want to use.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
jdub;1570283 said:
LMK and I'll assemble it for ya for $50 (I have all the correct tools)...the key for the upper is does it use the stock barrel nut. That depends on the forestock you select.

You also need to think about what sight configuration you want to use.

Awesome, I'll definitely take you up on that when the time is ready.

I've also not even begun to think about sights yet, baby steps. I think I'll stick with some basic iron sights, I'm not looking for a serious distance shooter with my first build.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
That's what I'm talking about - iron sights (or back-up sights) - there's several different configurations you can choose based on the upper. An A2 upper (carry handle type) has the rear sights built in, you just use the std A2 sight on the front. An M4 upper is a flat top - it requires some type of clamp on sight. You can get pretty fancy with an ARMS #40 or #40L rear and a PRI hooded folder or ARMs #41 Silhouette. The front sight can have the gas block as an integral (PRI and ARMS) part of it or it can have it's on rail for a clamp on. You can also use the std front sight in combo with a rear folder. The thing you need to think about with a flat top is what will you mount for optics later on - common for the carbine is an Aimpoint M2, M3 or M4 (or another similar red dot sight). This is where you want a folding sight for the front/rear.

Also, for the barrel & upper selection, you have to decide if you are going with the A2 or M4 configuration. M4 has the extended feed ramps, the upper needs to match M4 to M4 or A2 to A2.. You can get away using an M4 barrel extension with an A2 upper, but not a A2 barrel extension on a M4 upper. The barrel I linked you to on GunBroker is an M4.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
jdub;1570293 said:
That's what I'm talking about - iron sights (or back-up sights) - there's several different configurations you can choose based on the upper. An A2 upper (carry handle type) has the rear sights built in, you just use the std A2 sight on the front. An M4 upper is a flat top - it requires some type of clamp on sight. You can get pretty fancy with an ARMS #40 or #40L rear and a PRI hooded folder or ARMs #41 Silhouette. The front sight can have the gas block as an integral (PRI and ARMS) part of it or it can have it's on rail for a clamp on. You can also use the std front sight in combo with a rear folder. The thing you need to think about with a flat top is what will you mount for optics later on - common for the carbine is an Aimpoint M2, M3 or M4 (or another similar red dot sight). This is where you want a folding sight for the front/rear.

Also, for the barrel & upper selection, you have to decide if you are going with the A2 or M4 configuration. M4 has the extended feed ramps, the upper needs to match M4 to M4 or A2 to A2.. You can get away using an M4 barrel extension with an A2 upper, but not a A2 barrel extension on a M4 upper. The barrel I linked you to on GunBroker is an M4.

I think the last time I was checking out the uppers, I was pretty set on an m4 flat upper. I was going to use magpul flip up front/rear sites on rails then later if I wanted to mount optics or carry handle I could. I'm not sure if that is an ideal setup or not but it is something I will look more into. I remember seeing someone with optics and the magpul back up sights which seemed like a great setup. I really like the idea of the carry handle/sights not being hard mounted if I decide to change things up. I haven't looked far enough into it though to really make a decision ha. Just having everything railed mounted seems the way to go, even if that runs the risk of being too tacti-cool.

Also I remember reading about the M4 feed ramps not being that big of a deal? If I remember right, people were saying there is no downside to having them but they are not something you would go out of your way to have or pay more for. I still planned on going with an m4 upper with extended feed ramps.

/feels like such a newb

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
If you use an A2 barrel on an M4 upper, the lips of the barrel extension protrude over the ramps machined into the upper where the barrel/upper mate - that is not good. The bullet tip can catch and cause a misfeed. It's easy to match an M4 upper to an M4 barrel (current Mil std) at no extra cost...doing so will eliminate any problems. Take a look at this:
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=193

The problem with using a rail mounted front sight on a carbine length fore stock is the sight plane is significantly shortened between the front/rear sights. This directly affects accuracy. I highly recommend using a gas block front sight on a carbine length weapon...either std A2 or a gas block folder you can stow out of the way of the optics on a flat top. You can use the MagPul rear sight, but there are far better ones available. Think of the sighting system as the heart of the weapon - you do not want to go cheap here.

It's ok - I've been building AR-15's for 25 years ;)

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
jdub;1570310 said:
If you use an A2 barrel on an M4 upper, the lips of the barrel extension protrude over the ramps machined into the upper where the barrel/upper mate - that is not good. The bullet tip can catch and cause a misfeed. It's easy to match an M4 upper to an M4 barrel (current Mil std) at no extra cost...doing so will eliminate any problems. Take a look at this:
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=193

The problem with using a rail mounted front sight on a carbine length fore stock is the sight plane is significantly shortened between the front/rear sights. This directly affects accuracy. I highly recommend using a gas block front sight on a carbine length weapon...either std A2 or a gas block folder you can stow out of the way of the optics on a flat top. You can use the MagPul rear sight, but there are far better ones available. Think of the sighting system as the heart of the weapon - you do not want to go cheap here.

It's ok - I've been building AR-15's for 25 years ;)

That does make more sense to have the front sight further away on the end of the barrel. I also don't want to seem like I am on a magpul bandwagon. Just I want to stick with a few names for the rifle and not have a total mash of 20 different brands. I did see YHM has a full range of sights so I would stick with them for my flip up sights.

I also saw YHM has a railed gas block that I could mount the magpul, YHM or whatever sight to that I want. Would a railed gas block be a good option for versatility or is there some downside to it?

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
iwannadie;1570501 said:
I also don't want to seem like I am on a magpul bandwagon.

They are reputed to make fine weapon parts/accessories. If there is a brand that you trust, I don't see any reason not to stick to that brand - just be prepared to pay for it. I really think that Magpul is nearing the top of the AR pile.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
iwannadie;1570501 said:
That does make more sense to have the front sight further away on the end of the barrel. I also don't want to seem like I am on a magpul bandwagon. Just I want to stick with a few names for the rifle and not have a total mash of 20 different brands. I did see YHM has a full range of sights so I would stick with them for my flip up sights.

I also saw YHM has a railed gas block that I could mount the magpul, YHM or whatever sight to that I want. Would a railed gas block be a good option for versatility or is there some downside to it?

This is a much better choice...personally, I prefer the hooded sight:
http://yankeehillmachine.com/store/product413.html

Less expensive overall too ;)
The railed gas blocks are not that useful IMO. As far as brands go, I use whatever suits my needs and is of excellent quality.

MagPul makes excellent equipment - I have used all of their stocks/grips/trigger guards (aluminum) on various weapons - they are my favorite. The sights are ok, but there are better like I said earlier...same for the forestocks. The railed type are much more versatile.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Acquired a Tromix S02 Saiga 12…16.5” barrel with a 1.7” muzzle brake (permanent) for legalities:
http://www.tromix.com/saiga.htm

Tromix S02 Saiga 12 01.jpg

Tromix S02 Saiga 12 02.jpg

Came with a limbsaver recoil pad, 1 factory 5 rnd, and 2 ten rnd magazines…a 20 and 30 rnd drum is available. Shot it at the gun club when I picked it up – an incredible weapon! Tromix (Tony Rumore does the mods to a std Saiga 12) has almost a 2 year waiting list for one of these – I lucked out and snagged one on GunBroker for the same price as advertised on the site….I’ve been watching for 6 months and have seen these go as high as $2200.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
Anyone actually go hunting with these babies or is it just target shooting? I'll post up some hunting pics after next weekend as i'll be going out Roma way (Australia). My little brother got a nice boar with his 223 a month ago and says there should be more where that came from, he is a professional roo shooter so i'll do a bit of that to pay for the fuel out as well.

Pig was 85 kg dressed.

hammerhead

Sep 10, 2005
Belize
Had 3 of these pointed at my head not more than a month and a half ago. Them and a 9mm.

By the mexican cartel "Los Zetas". Was driving down a vehicle from dallas to Belize and got caught in between some crossfire between them and the gulf cartel. not too nice...

Last edited:

hammerhead

Sep 10, 2005
Belize
My Rossi R351 (1999)

This baby wouldn'd have helped much in that situation. Took me full year after application to receive firearm license approval. yep, and you guys complain about strict gun laws in the USA.. lol. all license approvals goe thru the police commissioner himself.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Dachande;1573285 said:
Nice tromix! This one belongs to an acquaintance of mine...spits fireballs :evil2:

3228035923_efd3c339f0_b.jpg

I got to shoot this HK416D last month..tons of fun.

p1574446_1.jpg

Thanks! That SBS is a very menacing weapon. I didn't go that route because I didn't want to deal with the Class III issues right now. It is a possibility in the future though ;)

ret

Geekin out
Nov 20, 2006
Lynchburg
www.cardomain.com
So I've officially joined the ranks of the gun owner's guild here on SM. Picked up a Ruger P95 today for the cost of a relatively lousy pay check. :D
p1575643_1.jpg

p1575643_2.jpg

p1575643_3.jpg

p1575643_4.jpg

Take it to the "Range" (Roommate's 26 acre lot which he effectively set up a course on) tomorrow after work. Can't wait!

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
hammerhead;1574324 said:
My Rossi R351 (1999)

This baby wouldn'd have helped much in that situation. Took me full year after application to receive firearm license approval. yep, and you guys complain about strict gun laws in the USA.. lol. all license approvals goe thru the police commissioner himself.

There's a reason why Los Zetas have firearms and you don't.

All Time great quote said:
When you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns.

Laws can't bring you back from the dead my friend.....

Status
Not open for further replies.