The (old) Official Gun Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ret

Geekin out
Nov 20, 2006
Lynchburg
www.cardomain.com
Been a while since I've been here. I see you're staying busy, jdub. :p new build looks good. My brother in law is actually selling his AR and I'm contemplating seeing if I can't sell my Ruger and pick it up, but thought I'd get some input, details below:
For sale Rock River Arms Entry Tacical 5.56 AR-15 Carbine. The gun has a flattop upper and has been factory upgraded to a free floated barrel and quad rail system. It has also had the standard carbine plate replaced with one with a sling attachment point on the left side of the gun for right handed shooters by a gunsmith. This gun has a low round count and has never had a malfunction. The gun will come with the hard plastic case that came with it and all the paperwork that came with it as well as the following accessories:

Magpul flip-up rear sight
Eotech clone HWS
Grip Pod GPS-02 vertical foregrip and bipod
1 30 round RRA steel mag
4 30 round assorted GI steel mags
2 30 round Magpul PMAGs with window
Blackhawk storm single point sling

Asking $1200 for complete package.

Eye candy:
p1718217_1.jpg

p1718217_2.jpg

So what does SM think? I would probably be able to pick it up for around $900-1000.

jackmk2mk3

being supra-less sucks
Jan 14, 2010
Fullerton, CA
I have what I hope is a fairly easy question. In the next few months there is a strong possibility that i will be acquiring a few guns that belonged to my grandfather before he passed away. My question is, how do I go about getting them registered in my name? I have no idea if he had any paperwork showing his ownership of the weapons. Thanks in advance for anyone who can shed some light on this.

-Jack

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
jackmk2mk3;1718603 said:
I have what I hope is a fairly easy question. In the next few months there is a strong possibility that i will be acquiring a few guns that belonged to my grandfather before he passed away. My question is, how do I go about getting them registered in my name? I have no idea if he had any paperwork showing his ownership of the weapons. Thanks in advance for anyone who can shed some light on this.

Jack - be very careful with advice on this from anyone outside of California. You guys have incredibly different gun laws from what most of the rest of us have to deal with. You probably also need to post specifically what the guns are, as CA has all kinds of goofy rules about magazines, features, etc...

jackmk2mk3

being supra-less sucks
Jan 14, 2010
Fullerton, CA
They will most likely be 2-3 double barrel shotguns, a 1911 Colt .45, and a German Luger. All are at factory spec, so they are all within California law as they sit. I'm just trying to get a feel for how much bullshit I'm going to have to go through to put them in my name. Mostly because I'm not sure if there is paperwork for all of them. Thanks for getting back to me on this.

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
Like he said, California operates in it's own world in regards to guns. In most states you wouldn't have to do anything besides pick the guns up as there is no "registry" for guns in free states.
I would check California state's official regulations if you want to make sure you're going to be within the letter of the law.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
ret;1718217 said:
Been a while since I've been here. I see you're staying busy, jdub. :p new build looks good. My brother in law is actually selling his AR and I'm contemplating seeing if I can't sell my Ruger and pick it up, but thought I'd get some input, details below:

So what does SM think? I would probably be able to pick it up for around $900-1000.

I would get it in the more powerful 6.8 SPCII. You will see the caliber listed as 6.8 SPC. That is what Remington took to SAAMI. But they dropped the ball and made the throat too short resulting in higher pressure. Just like the .223/5.56. The 6.8 hits about 1700 lbs of energy from an M4 sized 16 inch barrell. Where as the 5.56 is about 1200 or lower depending on the size of the round. Not to mention you bleed out faster with bigger holes.

IMG_0550.JPG

IMG_0546.JPG

[video=youtube;1z-hZzXupfg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z-hZzXupfg[/video]

ret

Geekin out
Nov 20, 2006
Lynchburg
www.cardomain.com
Yeah, I ended up passing on that. I decided to get a new handgun instead. Sold my Ruger and picked up a Glock 23.

p1733511_1.jpg

I've been pleased so far. The laser isn't sited in - it's actually way off, but I'm working on that. In the mean time, it shoots great and has night sites, not those hideous stock ones.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
SupraMario;1734126 said:
Has anyone every converted a Mosin Nagant on here into a hunting rifle? http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MGR341-1.html
This seems to be the only stock I can find for it, but everyone online is saying it is well worth the $60.

My friend Randy (HardHittin54R) has several Mosin's, including one that he's got free floated and pretty highly accurized with scope, etc. One of the big changes was a curved bolt handle to allow clearance for the scope. (Mosin bolt handles point straight up when the bolt is open).

It's a damned accurate gun, however he's a gunsmith so he did his own custom stock work and pillar bedding, etc.

I sent him a link to that stock, I'll let you know what he says.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Supracentral;1734134 said:
My friend Randy (HardHittin54R) has several Mosin's, including one that he's got free floated and pretty highly accurized with scope, etc. One of the big changes was a curved bolt handle to allow clearance for the scope. (Mosin bolt handles point straight up when the bolt is open).

It's a damned accurate gun, however he's a gunsmith so he did his own custom stock work and pillar bedding, etc.

I sent him a link to that stock, I'll let you know what he says.

Yea I found this guy who does curved bolts also.
http://www.angelfire.com/gundam/boltman/bolt_work/index.album/mauser-tactical-bolt-handle?i=17

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Finally built myself an SPR:

Noveske AR-15 SPR 01.jpg

Noveske AR-15 SPR 02.jpg

Specs:
- Noveske N4 center section (upper & lower)
- Lothar Walther 18" stainless steel barrel, 1-8 twist, Wylde chamber and matched bolt. Modified V-Tac barrel for Ops Inc suppressor collar w/ Ops Inc compatible Vortex flash hider
- PRI Carbon Fiber Forearm, PRI SPR top rail
- Bravo Company “Gunfighter" tactical charging handle
- MagPul PRS stock, MIAD grip, KNS Gen 2 stainless anti-rotation hammer/trigger pins
- Young Machine Match Bolt carrier and bolt - boron nitrite coated
- Geissele Super Select Fire (SSF) trigger group and hammer
- Upper, lower, flash hider, and all controls coated with Cerekote H series. Controls, flash hider, OPS Inc collar and upper receiver rail is Graphite Black to match - remaining parts of upper and lower are Sniper Grey.
- PRI hooded front sight/gas block, ARMS #40L-P rear sight
- IOR Valdada 4x14x50 30mm Tactical Scope, Illuminated MP-8 reticule, target knobs. ARMS #19A mount w/ IOR STANG rings

Kinda like the way it turned out ;)

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
"Kinda" like the way it turned out? Seriously, man, you continually amaze me with what you put together. Once again, a very nice piece of work! I REALLY need to sell my car now so I can buy a rifle!!!

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Thanks Lane :)
Take a close look at the port cover - it says "smile wait for flash" with a smiley face sporting a bullet hole in the forehead. LOL

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Nothing illustrates the need for good trigger discipline more than this idiot:

[video=youtube;XTGmTrQXrwg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTGmTrQXrwg[/video]

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Everyone that I even take out shooting, first thing I tell them is, do not put your finger on the trigger until the gun is in the direction your want to fire it.

Also...I just bought a RIA 1911 GI model, bone stock minus new grips. I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.