The (old) Official Gun Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
So picked up two mosin nagants for $105 each and 440rnds of. 7.62 for $110. Both gunss are russian surplus and basically new. Shot them today and they are fuckin awesome. Loud as hell too lol.
uploadfromtaptalk1301801167504.jpg

Pictures I've got a video of me and wespatt on here shooting at about 150 yards quite accuratly which supprised me. They kick nicely lol.
I'm going to do some modifications to these; been seeing there is a ton of stuff to do with them. So $105 a steal or what?

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Only reason why I said glock was the fact that they run, ALL THE TIME. Run them dry. Full of dirt. Sand. Soil. Water. Salt. It doesn't care.

Trigger spring breaks? Middle of a fire fight? No worries. Simply hold the trigger to the rear, rack the slide, and you're back in the fight.

Worried about the firing pin getting "clogged" with debris? No worries. The system is self cleaning. Just don't ever oil the firing pin. EVER. (Its designed that way).

Captfurious... can you post a picture of how the pistol was "biting" you?

---------- Post added at 10:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 PM ----------

SupraMario;1694549 said:
So picked up two mosin nagants for $105 each and 440rnds of. 7.62 for $110. Both gunss are russian surplus and basically new. Shot them today and they are fuckin awesome. Loud as hell too lol.
View attachment 49995

Pictures I've got a video of me and wespatt on here shooting at about 150 yards quite accuratly which supprised me. They kick nicely lol.
I'm going to do some modifications to these; been seeing there is a ton of stuff to do with them. So $105 a steal or what?

Not a bad price, but this is a steal...

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F3MOSIN9130

And the mosins only have one draw back: They typically are full of cosmoline. CLEAN EVERY OUNCE OFF IT.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Most old guns are full of cosmoline. It's not a bad thing, it's what preserved them for decades in storage. Yes it's a pain to clean up (as the entire gun was literally dipped in the stuff usually), but you'll be more familiar with the gun when you're done, right? :D It's in the wood though, and you'll never get it all out, it will bleed anytime it gets hot enough to melt the stuff.

Not a fan of the straight bolt on the mosin, but it's easily fixed.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
MDCmotorsports;1694550 said:
[/COLOR]

INot a bad price, but this is a steal...

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F3MOSIN9130

And the mosins only have one draw back: They typically are full of cosmoline. CLEAN EVERY OUNCE OFF IT.

Yea we cleaned out as much as we could out of them. They were filled with it but to keep the gun in that shape in storage is worth it.

87mk111;1694567 said:
70 bucks for a mosin? thats a pretty insane deal. i paid 80 for my mismatched m44 and 109 for my matching 91/30. for anyone that owns a mosin, here is a pretty coool website/forum for the mosin nagant: http://7.62x54r.net/

Gotta think about shipping though. Yea its cheap but doesn't it have to go to a ffl dealer? So tac on another 40 for the transfer and shipping and its just slightly cheaper. Plus I was able to handle mine and pick from the stock he had. Ill check out that forum cause I'm already addicted to shooting this thing. I might go pick up another spam can today. $110 for 440 rnds is awesome.

Poodles;1694569 said:
Most old guns are full of cosmoline. It's not a bad thing, it's what preserved them for decades in storage. Yes it's a pain to clean up (as the entire gun was literally dipped in the stuff usually), but you'll be more familiar with the gun when you're done, right? :D It's in the wood though, and you'll never get it all out, it will bleed anytime it gets hot enough to melt the stuff.

Not a fan of the straight bolt on the mosin, but it's easily fixed.

I've always wanted a bolt action and getting to shoot a large caliber like this on the cheap is just awesome. The dealer told us about thr cosmoline and that during the summer it will probably leak from the wood like its a hot candle. We shoot 70ish rnds yesterday and the guns preformed perfectly.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Steam cleaner works wonders for melting it off. Steam will work on the stock too, but it will still bleed for a while unless you bake it out. You can bake it buried in oil absorbing materials (normal kitty litter works alright) and baking it isn't hard if it's nice and sunny outside :D

You really should refinish the stocks though, the cosmoline doesn't really protect the finish on them.

That link that 87mk111 posted has directions on how to fully tear down the rifle and reassembly to help clean the crap out of the guns. Oh, and the surplus ammo is acidic, clean ASAP after shooting.

MDCmotorsports

SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
The best thing to remove cosmolene is parts washer solvent. The stuff that smells like funny diesel fuel you wash brake parts in...
Make sure you get it out of every thing you can.
Clogged bore with cosmolene + round down range = possible kaboom.

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
MDC: Biting may not be the best term, but if you take your right hand and make a spread out your thumb and index finger it's the spot on the thumb knuckle just below the "V" that was getting rubbed by the frame just under the slide. Sorry, no pics...my camera and I are not colocated at the moment.

Again, nothing against Glocks...just didn't work for me.

MDCmotorsports

SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
The best thing to remove cosmolene is parts washer solvent. The stuff that smells like funny diesel fuel you wash brake parts in...
Make sure you get it out of every thing you can.
Clogged bore with cosmolene + round down range = possible kaboom.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
I've been looking for a stainless Mini 30 to enjoy using the cheap surplus Russian 7.62X39 stuff. :) (Sure, it's corrosive, but the stainless seems to hold up better I have been told, but still to wash them out with a mix of amonia/water and a drop of soap, then wipe off the gun, and oil as normal.

I have just been using brake cleaner to hose down my metal weapons when I'm done, and I have also been told that does the job with the Russian Surplus ammo too. :)

MDCmotorsports

SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Adjuster;1695105 said:
I've been looking for a stainless Mini 30 to enjoy using the cheap surplus Russian 7.62X39 stuff. :) (Sure, it's corrosive, but the stainless seems to hold up better I have been told, but still to wash them out with a mix of amonia/water and a drop of soap, then wipe off the gun, and oil as normal.

I have just been using brake cleaner to hose down my metal weapons when I'm done, and I have also been told that does the job with the Russian Surplus ammo too. :)

I've been using windex on all my corrosive ammo rifles. Then follow up with a good oil or clp.

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
Has anybody used "Nitesiters"? They are a stick on glow in the dark night sight that you don't have to replace the sights for. They are not tritium and require exposure to a light source for a little bit before they are effective, but has anyone actually used them?

MDC: I'm going to see if I can use a Glock 21 and see if that's any different.

Also, is there a big difference between the S&W M&P and SD pistols?

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
CPT Furious;1696304 said:
Has anybody used "Nitesiters"? They are a stick on glow in the dark night sight that you don't have to replace the sights for. They are not tritium and require exposure to a light source for a little bit before they are effective, but has anyone actually used them?

I've seen them in person, but haven't used them on my own gun. They aren't really practical for a CC gun. If your gun is under your clothing, or if it's night, how do they light up? Tritium is always on.

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
That's the main issue. The availability of Tritium night sights for Taurus models with dovetail front sights is what was disappointing. I think the 700 series I can get them and possibly the new 800 series. The 800's come with Novak sights and according to Novak, they have tritium options. I think I'm going to pass on the Mil Pro series...not really a fan of the Straight 8 sights and there aren't night sight options for the newer models.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Anyone know of a place online I could sell a handgun? I've put a 100+ish rounds through the PK380 and it feels fine, it just doesn't feel like the right gun for me. So I'm looking to get rid of it and pick up a 1911 or something else carry wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.