The (old) Official Gun Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
FullNelson;1747802 said:
SupraMario;1744225 said:
I just bought a RIA 1911 GI model, bone stock minus new grips. I like it.

I've been curious about the RIA 1911. It seems like a budget way to get started with a 1911. Have you had any problems with it so far?

I've heard nothing but good things about them. Looks like an incredible value for the price.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
FullNelson;1747802 said:
I've been curious about the RIA 1911. It seems like a budget way to get started with a 1911. Have you had any problems with it so far?

Haven't had time to shoot it yet, but I've torn it down and I've gotta say it is built like a tank. Can't wait to shoot it.

Supracentral;1747803 said:
I've heard nothing but good things about them. Looks like an incredible value for the price.

Yep, paid $425 with taxes out the door. I'm looking to upgrade the trigger here soon, it is the only minor thing I don't like about the gun.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
SupraMario;1748930 said:
Yep, paid $425 with taxes out the door. I'm looking to upgrade the trigger here soon, it is the only minor thing I don't like about the gun.

What specifically?

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
There's a sale going on at Dick's soon for a Remington 597 .22 rifle with scope for $150. I know that the .22 is cheap as shit and $20 will be fun for a whole day and then some, but there's also a deal for a New England Pardner Protector 12 gauge for $180. Getting both isn't much of an option. The only reason that I'm tied is because shooting skeet is more pricey than .22 plinking. I won't be hunting with either, just target shooting/range time. What do you guys say?

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Greek;1749913 said:
There's a sale going on at Dick's soon for a Remington 597 .22 rifle with scope for $150. I know that the .22 is cheap as shit and $20 will be fun for a whole day and then some, but there's also a deal for a New England Pardner Protector 12 gauge for $180. Getting both isn't much of an option. The only reason that I'm tied is because shooting skeet is more pricey than .22 plinking. I won't be hunting with either, just target shooting/range time. What do you guys say?

If you want to target shoot, the .22lr is the best choice by far. It's the most versatile and inexpensive caliber to work with. It's quiet, has low recoil, it's accurate, cheap, reliable, etc.. You can use it to target shoot, take care of small varmints, and it's even usable in self defense. (Anyone who thinks a .22 isn't deadly is a fool).

Shotgun is nice, but it's just no fun to target shoot with a shotgun, especially a 12GA.

The Remi 597 is a really nice autoloader 22 design as well.

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
Supracentral;1749940 said:
If you want to target shoot, the .22lr is the best choice by far. It's the most versatile and inexpensive caliber to work with. It's quiet, has low recoil, it's accurate, cheap, reliable, etc.. You can use it to target shoot, take care of small varmints, and it's even usable in self defense. (Anyone who thinks a .22 isn't deadly is a fool).

Shotgun is nice, but it's just no fun to target shoot with a shotgun, especially a 12GA.

The Remi 597 is a really nice autoloader 22 design as well.
The shotgun would be for skeet/some punk bitch strolls into my house.

I've read that the 597 loves to spit out the extractor piece (the part that loads the next round?) very commonly. Do they still do this, or was it earlier years of manufacturing and is now corrected?

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Greek;1750158 said:
I've read that the 597 loves to spit out the extractor piece (the part that loads the next round?) very commonly. Do they still do this, or was it earlier years of manufacturing and is now corrected?

My understanding is that they corrected that some time ago. It's a solid gun.

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
Supracentral;1750211 said:
My understanding is that they corrected that some time ago. It's a solid gun.

Sweet.

Now, how "dirty" is a .22 round? I read a lot that cleaning the rifle after every time of shooting is pretty much mandatory. Could one go to the range and literally shoot all day, or would it need to be stripped and cleaned at some point at the range?

Now I found a NEF Pardner for $160, and WalMart has a box of 100 shells for $22 which sounds like a pretty bitchin' deal to me. I'm stuck in between...again.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Brownells has Federal (LC) M855 62 gr on special for $149 a 420 rnd can packed in 30 rnd boxes on strippers - this is current production and is good stuff. Buy 2 cans or something else for a $1 and you get free shipping ($150+ orders) - use code DGP when you check out.

I'm sure this is a limited time offer.
;)

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Greek;1750431 said:
Now, how "dirty" is a .22 round? I read a lot that cleaning the rifle after every time of shooting is pretty much mandatory. Could one go to the range and literally shoot all day, or would it need to be stripped and cleaned at some point at the range?

Personally I clean all of my guns every time I shoot them, be it a couple of rounds or a couple of hundred rounds. But I clean them when I get home and am putting them back into storage. I never clean at the range.

Now when speaking about .22's, a lot of people don't clean .22's at all. I don't agree with this. The following article supports my experiences with 22's exactly:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu130.htm

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
:thumbup:

Ended up buying the Remington 597. Went to the range twice already, and it shoots amazing. Yes, I did clean it.

Also thinking of picking up that New England Pardner 12ga. It's a good deal.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
So finally got my gun stock, and got it fitted. I love it, now to paint it black, does anyone have tips for painting a laminated Birch stock like this? I was thinking about using that spray on truck liner, just because it looks like it would be sturdy as hell and give it a nice grip and feel, but then again I've never painted a stock like this. I was also thinking of using a good 3-4 coats of clear polyurethane on it.
So any suggestions?

p1764581_1.jpg

p1764581_2.jpg

p1764581_3.jpg

p1764581_3.jpg

Sorry for the really shitty pictures.

Bought it from here:

http://rifle-stocks.com/sporter_hunting_styles.htm

I love the feel of it.

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
If it were me and I was going for the black look, there's a stain you can use that will come out black plus still give you the wood grain accents. I think bedliner all over would be cumbersome. Pick and choose where you want your high traction points at.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
FullNelson;1764596 said:
If it were me and I was going for the black look, there's a stain you can use that will come out black plus still give you the wood grain accents. I think bedliner all over would be cumbersome. Pick and choose where you want your high traction points at.

True, this is why I'm quite iffy on using it. What stain are you talking about? Got a link? A super dark black stain that allows the wood to still show up would be awesome!

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm

89turbotoy

2 89 supras 2jzgte/single
Jul 30, 2006
cincinnati
thought this would be a good place to post a gun question. I have taurus pt140 as a carry gun and i am looking for some input on a holster. I need a tuckable holster was wonderin what you guys had that worked for you. thanks
-Zac

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
FullNelson;1765889 said:
You could also do a test run of the stain on the inside of the stock, where the action sits.

Yea, talked to a friends dad who does a lot of wood work, and he said the same thing. He also told me I need to use a wood conditioner so the stain doesn't splotch.

Status
Not open for further replies.