The Notorious 90 Degree hose

7EMPIRE

Feb 23, 2010
Raliegh
I felt the need to make a thread for this because it caused me a week long headache.also it seems to be a common problem so here is a pic of the hose the white mark on it is the hole.It would only leak when it got real hot.I didnt notice it was leaking from there when the whole got bigger and started spraying coolant out at a gas station,as the car started to run hot so here is the pic
i hope this helps ps. to see this you have to remove the heat sheild
p1552186_1.jpg

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
IJ.;1552192 said:
Most cars have lost the heat shield along the way so the 90 degree hoses fail quickly.

+1 million.

On my last 89 It took me some time to figure out it was missing and WHY THE HELL I HAD TO REPLACE IT MORE THEN ONCE IN THE 3-4 YEARS I OWNED IT!!!

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Agreed. Hate that hose. And the one on the back of the engine, too. Last time I bought these from Toyota, I just bought 4 of each, and I keep a spare in the car at all times.

Someone should get these duplicated in high temp silicone...

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
I've replaced these as well. If memory serves, NAPA had a hose on file for this application that was a lot cheaper and just needed to be shortened to work perfectly. You find these things out when they burst and leave you stranded.

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
Is the Toyota hose really the best hose to use for this, or is there another higher temp, higher pressure rated hose that will fit and work, and won't burst ever? I had to replace it for the second time maybe a month ago or so, which was 2 years after I replaced it the first time.

I attribute it to buying crappy Auto Zone coolant hose because I can't walk into Toyota and grab a part for a 23 year old part...but if I can replace it one last time for good, I'll do it.

nick88

JayHall's Hero
May 10, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
Would be best to just go to toyota, I spent almost a couple hours in napa with a worker looking through catalogs and all of the hoses they had, and this was the local warehouse.

Edit: And didn't find one that would fit exactly like I wanted.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
nick88;1552227 said:
Would be best to just go to toyota, I spent almost a couple hours in napa with a worker looking through catalogs and all of the hoses they had, and this was the local warehouse.

Damn, I must have gotten lucky then. They even had it in stock at this tiny Napa in a small town.

89nasupra

Sugar, Water, Purple
Apr 8, 2008
Lafayette, Louisiana, United States
I had mine burst also, got a 3/4 90 deg. hose from Advance Auto Parts. Took like 20 minutes to change including removing the distributor. Long ass needle nose pliers with a 90deg bend at the end worked wonderfully to take the old clamps of. Replaced with worm clamps this time. The back was easier I found.

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291410/catalog.aspx?F=1603&P=2

'16283', bottom middle-ish.

Part number is 16283-42010.

edit: Finding rear part number in a second...but, what is the inner diameter of that front hose? I'm pretty sure it is 3/4" (.750"). The only 90 degree silicone hoses I can find in that size are like $35...

edit2: for future reference for me and for anyone else interested:
http://www.boostcontroller.com/index.php?category=34 (90 degree hoses, still expensive...but also aramid reinforced heater hose (they call it extreme temp) on another page of this website)
http://www.siliconehose.com/commerce/ccc1021-5-ply-90-degree-silicone-elbow--gloss-black-color.htm (cheaper 90 degree hoses, and its 5 ply!)
SEE POST #86 for updated information/links. 90 degree hose is 5/8" not 3/4".

All silicone hose is compatible with water/glycol mixtures of any kind (ethylene/propylene). Usually, like the ones listed above, the temp range varies from -65F to +350 which is pretty darn good, and doesn't burst until 150 psi I believe. The aramid reinforced silicone hoses are rated for +550F IIRC.

edit2: Ended up buying 2 ft of 3/8 ID, seeing as how I need to replace some anyways, from this place: http://www.boostcontroller.com/index.php?category=154 it's cheaper than the rest (probably cause it only comes in one color, blue...yeck) but still rated to J20R3 which is higher than J20, and therefore has a max temp of 350F instead of 300F.

Last edited:

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Although I suggest the Toyota hose if you can find it, in a pinch I'm pretty certain the ACDELCO Part # 14002S hose stocked by Rock Auto can be cut down to fit as well.