The Notorious 90 Degree hose

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
Winter Park, Florida, United States
I don't know why is everyone waiting for these hoses from toyota when they burst? What's wrong with going to the auto parts store, finding any 90 degree coolant hose of the same diameter, and cutting to fit? Should I have not done that?

Edit: Guess I busted my nut too soon. Should have read the other pages.

I plan on pulling the motor soon, and when I do all the hard to reach hoses will be replaced with high temp silicone.. this is too much of a pita.

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
IJ.;1574871 said:
16268 see the little flap of sheetmetal on the left end of it?

Most times that's been broken off so the 90 hose cooks.

p1600152_1.jpg

^^^ There's the front one with that little heat shield thingy...:)

p1600152_2.jpg

I did the rear hose since I had some parts off on the hot-side...:biglaugh: ...it took about 15 min. with the car already down to the point I have it. Used regular Channel Lock needle nose on the front clip, and a long-reach needle nose on the rear. (Fudged with the rear for 10 min. between off and on... but got it in the end with reasonably little "wear". )

Definitely do these any time you are in the vicinity from a dis-assembly standpoint, I'd say. Took minimal time today, and I had the hose sitting around for such an opportunity...

p1600152_3.jpg

^^^ See the condition of a "good" but "worn" hose from the back? These WILL BLOW in a catastrophic way over time or subject to the damaging heat that haunts our sevenem at times...

p1600152_4.jpg

(Pardon the cell phone images...)

-crisp

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Richmond, Virginia, United States
Well here I am, taking things apart around the PS reservoir, and to tell you the truth it looks like a bomb went off down there. I've got fluid coating EVERYTHING, including the electrical wiring, and some of it looks like oil as well as coolant. I had to stop because Don (D7M) is going to help out with the electrical and mechanical around the back there, but from the looks of it, my car is practically leaking everything in sight (not even sure about the PS lines integrity at this point!). I'll snap some pix to show everyone, but it's downright hell down there and I'm wondering what else I'll have to deal with.

Also got the accordion hose off for eventual turbo replacement and found oil right at the lip of the turbo. No wonder she was smoking so bad. Cripes. The bottom of the K&N filter is COATED in both oil and radiator fluids, dammit.

Fun, fun, fun. Cool thing is I'm getting a Lexus AFM in the process. Sweeeeetttt....

Last edited:

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
Oh dear God, this hose exploded on me Saturday. I thought I had BHG from all the coolant burning everywhere. It's a bitch to replace but I got everything done in one night.

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Richmond, Virginia, United States
Well, we got to the hose and it looks as if someone had smashed their thumb with a hammer. The hose is bowed out in places and there's coolant all over it, so it definitely was a source of failure. Still going to regasket everything in/around the therm housing to be sure, but once that and the hose are done I'll feel a whole lot better.

Now if we can only get to that last bolt holding the turbo to the exhaust we can take it off and put the 57trim in. Arrgghh!!!