The diamond in the rough. 1991 blue metallic turbo targa restoration

atlpd3147

kool member
Nov 26, 2005
Dacula,GA
Yea I just picked up that clutch masters fx850 kit. It looks like a pretty solid clutch. I should be installing sit sometime this month. I'll try to do a YouTube video of the install process.

ask92

That guy.
Nov 17, 2008
Rocklin, CA
madsupra88;2067764 said:
Nice build!
Love the color.
Thanks man!
kakanator;2067779 said:
damn sir the parts pile is sweet and how you liking the map ecu 2 I sent you did you install it yourself and what file did you upload the 550 lex?
Yea its grown a lot, that's why I needed to take an inventory on it all. The map ecu 2 has honestly been great! It took a while to get the KVF elimination to work properly but I am finally getting it ironed out and its very user friendly overall and the MAP ecu forum has been a great asset. There are definitely some things that I wish were different on it, but for the age and price i couldn't pass it up! I will be keeping it even after I go ECU master for the st205 build I have coming up after the supra is done.

atlpd3147;2067781 said:
Yea I just picked up that clutch masters fx850 kit. It looks like a pretty solid clutch. I should be installing sit sometime this month. I'll try to do a YouTube video of the install process.
Sounds good, I am interested how the pedal feel is.

Been really thinking about some coilovers recently. I think they will really transform the look and feel of the car. But of course if I do coils I should do all the bushings while they are out, and since they are out I should clean and paint all the suspension components, and since I have the components out I should take the Diff out and since the diff is out I should drop the gas tank and put a new pump in. *sigh* Its amazing how something simple like coilovers morphs into a full undercarriage overhaul, but I want this car done right!!

Looking at the BCs, fortunes and maybe megan EZs. Any opinions?

atlpd3147

kool member
Nov 26, 2005
Dacula,GA
Stance, fortunes, and tein. I think those would be good pptions. Fortunes might be a better option considering they are made in the usa.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
ask92;2067801 said:
Been really thinking about some coilovers recently. I think they will really transform the look and feel of the car. But of course if I do coils I should do all the bushings while they are out, and since they are out I should clean and paint all the suspension components, and since I have the components out I should take the Diff out and since the diff is out I should drop the gas tank and put a new pump in. *sigh* Its amazing how something simple like coilovers morphs into a full undercarriage overhaul, but I want this car done right!!

Looking at the BCs, fortunes and maybe megan EZs. Any opinions?

My opinion on coilovers: 99% of them are Taiwanese/Chinese junk.

BC, Fortune, D2, Megan, KSport, Stance, etc. etc. are ALL from Taiwan or China, and you get what you pay for, cheap junk. They have terrible damping, and are stiffly sprung to a point of being detrimental to performance.

Japanese made coilovers that are still available are Tein, Cusco, and Zeal. Tein are sort of "meh" as far as real performance improvement, I know nothing about Cusco, and Zeals are huge $$$. Also, JICs are also poorly made and known to break, a lot.

If I were you, I'd go with a Strut/Spring combo using either Konis or Bilsteins, the best two shocks available for our cars. I was able to reach out to Ground Control, a company who makes coilover conversion sleeves, and they made me a full set of coilovers using Koni yellows as a base. It's a massive improvement, rides great, and I'm super happy with the results. If you want to adjustable height, consider reaching out to them. Otherwise, just choosing the right height spring that you'd want would be plenty good.

ask92

That guy.
Nov 17, 2008
Rocklin, CA
kakanator;2069848 said:
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Yup.. Compression is 1-120 2-80 3-145 4-80 5-150 6-140. The HG is blown I assume between the cylinder and an oil passage as it was shitting smoke in boost and i lost about a quart of oil in a 30 minute drive...No overheating or anything too bad. Ah well, time for real power.

emiliorescigno;2069862 said:
My opinion on coilovers: 99% of them are Taiwanese/Chinese junk.

BC, Fortune, D2, Megan, KSport, Stance, etc. etc. are ALL from Taiwan or China, and you get what you pay for, cheap junk. They have terrible damping, and are stiffly sprung to a point of being detrimental to performance.

Japanese made coilovers that are still available are Tein, Cusco, and Zeal. Tein are sort of "meh" as far as real performance improvement, I know nothing about Cusco, and Zeals are huge $$$. Also, JICs are also poorly made and known to break, a lot.

If I were you, I'd go with a Strut/Spring combo using either Konis or Bilsteins, the best two shocks available for our cars. I was able to reach out to Ground Control, a company who makes coilover conversion sleeves, and they made me a full set of coilovers using Koni yellows as a base. It's a massive improvement, rides great, and I'm super happy with the results. If you want to adjustable height, consider reaching out to them. Otherwise, just choosing the right height spring that you'd want would be plenty good.
While I agree with you to a point I have riden in plenty of cars that feel like OEM while on coilovers. That being said coilover setup makes a WORLD of difference. I've seen two different cars with the EXACT same coilovers and one rode horribly stiff and the other rode just like stock. I plan to run this car in the 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile and on the street with mutliple wheel setups so I will need the ability to adjust the suspension(Height and dampening). I wont be daily driving this car so I don't want something that is overly soft, I am leaning towards BCs at the moment.

Will most likely be doing a color change on the car while its down since I am having a hell of a time matching the paint that's on it. Ive tried two different sources for 8j3 and both are too dark, which leads me to believe either my car has faded badly, or when it was repainted as a baby it was not matched properly to 8j3(lady drove the car into a FL swamp in 93 and the entire front end was replaced and repainted).

Last edited:

ask92

That guy.
Nov 17, 2008
Rocklin, CA
Well I am officially 7m free. Had a guy interested in my 7ms so I rushed and pulled everything out this weekend. Now its time to clean, paint and assemble the engine.

Saturday Night

Sunday morning

Sunday Night

Gonna do it right this time...

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
ask92;2069900 said:
While I agree with you to a point I have riden in plenty of cars that feel like OEM while on coilovers.

There is no such coilover in existence for a MKIII Supra haha. I'm old school. I like their factory ride. In 92 it was the smoothest car I'd ever driven and I was used to driving GM land yachts back then. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ask92

That guy.
Nov 17, 2008
Rocklin, CA
gtsfirefighter;2070851 said:
There is no such coilover in existence for a MKIII Supra haha. I'm old school. I like their factory ride. In 92 it was the smoothest car I'd ever driven and I was used to driving GM land yachts back then. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting. I wouldn't mind if its a bit stiffer as I find that the OEM suspension to be a bit soft for aggressive driving.(The car currently has KYBs on it)

This weekend I plan to get the rest of the parts taken out of the engine bay and degrease, pressure wash and start sanding/stripping the paint off. I'll break the DSLR out to get some good pictures finally. I also need to drop the 2jz block off at the machine shop to have it bored for the CP pistons and have them skim the deck as well. They said they need about two weeks, so I will place some parts orders in the next week.

My goal at this point is to have the car done before Toyotafest in long beach(May 7th). Its a 400 mile drive each way and it should be a good test run before Supras In Vegas which is about 650 miles each way.

Last edited:

ask92

That guy.
Nov 17, 2008
Rocklin, CA
Well I got a bit done on the car today. Got the battery tray cut out, took off the steering shaft, and then pushed her outside and degreased and pressure washed.

Notice how nice and sunny it is:

2jz taking a nice bath before she gets a shave

Taste the rainbow!

Anndd downpour:

Before and after:

Also forgot to post good pictures of this, but I repainted all my interior plastics black, really made them look brand new!

Next ill start sanding the bay and patching some holes I wont be using for the 2j. Then hopefully get it primed and painted. Once the engine bay paint goes down it will be painfully obvious what color the rest of the car is going to be haha.

Last edited:

ask92

That guy.
Nov 17, 2008
Rocklin, CA
akito;2071088 said:
Loving the progress man, are you spraying the bay yourself or a shop will take care of this?
I will be spraying the bay myself. I chose a non metallic pretty bright color, so it should hide any imperfections I make. I have painted two cars in the past that have come out well, however there is definitely a learning curve to it. That being said I am painting the bay first so I can see if I want to tackle the entire body myself as well. I have a feeling that since this isn't my only car(like the last two paintjobs I did) I won't have to rush at all and should get a pretty good job overall out of it.

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
Damn! I am impressed that you can paint yourself, I tried doing my engine bay twice before I gave up haha! My battery tray looked so similar to yours. Augh. Shame you're not keeping the color, though, I think it is so lovely!

Did you use just a plastic/vinyl spray paint to do your interior plastics? I bought a can of it, but was afraid that as soon as I put something in the trunk and took a hard corner, that the paint would just scratch right off. Did you have good results with it? Any durability tests?? Lol.

Looks like a great project that you have going on here! Cleaning and degreasing my engine bay was one of my most favorite steps of the process. Easy, cathartic, and makes such a difference!

ask92

That guy.
Nov 17, 2008
Rocklin, CA
Faye;2071203 said:
Damn! I am impressed that you can paint yourself, I tried doing my engine bay twice before I gave up haha! My battery tray looked so similar to yours. Augh. Shame you're not keeping the color, though, I think it is so lovely!

Did you use just a plastic/vinyl spray paint to do your interior plastics? I bought a can of it, but was afraid that as soon as I put something in the trunk and took a hard corner, that the paint would just scratch right off. Did you have good results with it? Any durability tests?? Lol.

Looks like a great project that you have going on here! Cleaning and degreasing my engine bay was one of my most favorite steps of the process. Easy, cathartic, and makes such a difference!
Thank you! I painted my current white celica(its in the background of the rain picture) about two years ago and its holding up well. I had some issues with the paint on it because it was my only car and I was always rushed when doing prep or painting since I had to drive it to work. I shouldn't have that issue with the supra! As far as the interior paint, I painted it with this: http://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-HVP106-Black-Performance-Fabric/dp/B00098PO3G . I have used it on multiple cars in the past and its very durable actually. I've had it on my supra dash for about a year now and it still looks brand new when I armorall it!

The new paint is ordered and I am dropping the block, crank and pistons off this afternoon to the machine shop. I am gonna have them bore the block for the 86.5mm CP pistions, deck the block since its dirty, and then polish the crank.

ask92

That guy.
Nov 17, 2008
Rocklin, CA
caballo;2071478 said:
what color are you going to paint the car?
You'll have to wait and see ;).

Got a little progress done this weekend, hope to start filling holes and priming next weekend.

What have I done. O.O