The diamond in the rough. 1991 blue metallic turbo targa restoration

ask92

That guy.
Nov 17, 2008
Rocklin, CA
At the end of the day all I need is for this engine to pass smog, as long as it does that it will be worth the time and money I have put into it. Luckily I only need to smog my vehicles once on the change of title and then they never have to see a smog station again. "Smogging" is about $1,000 these days(Was only $300 when I did the red car) so it is much cheaper to just get the engine running properly. It would be great if I could have a healthy 300whp+ 7m for a year or two but I have my doubts(this being my 4th 7m).

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
miekedmr;2039351 said:
it seems pretty sadistic given all the issues with the factory installed ones...

It *looks* worse than the originals. There was very little in the way of reinforcement around water jackets and combustion chambers. If I had yours in my hand I might think different of it. No need for a flame suit. He was just telling you what he sees. If he was truly apathetic and didn't care, he wouldn't say anything. Nor would I.

ask92

That guy.
Nov 17, 2008
Rocklin, CA
Its alivveee. Car started pretty easy without much fuss. No CEL, no smoke(besides the exhaust burn my handprints off lol), and no leaks, however I have an intermittent rattling noise coming from somewhere down near the trans. Very happy about the engine being strong, however now the trans is not moving....... It is moving once and a while when I put it in gear, but 80% of the time its not... SOB haha.

[video=youtube;aLW8AwOOCHQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLW8AwOOCHQ[/video]

Last edited:

ask92

That guy.
Nov 17, 2008
Rocklin, CA
Engine is running and starting perfectly, however even after adjusting the shift linkage the trans is still not moving. Makes me think the converter is not locking, however its strange that it will sometimes move perfectly, and revving does not affect anything. Also have a leak coming out of the PS rack and an oil leak coming from what I think are the valve covers.. Never ending with this car.....

Last edited:

ask92

That guy.
Nov 17, 2008
Rocklin, CA
Alright, so I get home today and start the car to let it warm up and check everything and sure as shit it goes in gear and moves just fine. Test it in the garage going back and forth for a while and the get up the nerve to go take it around the neighborhood. Everything goes great, even did a slight pull and all is well. Get to a stop sign and stop, can't move again... Ffuuuccckkk. Turn the car off then back on. Good as new. Dafuq? Video of said issue
[video=youtube_share;jTzb5N2DY8M]http://youtu.be/jTzb5N2DY8M[/video]

Any ideas? Gonna flush the fluid tomorrow(however it is full now)

Last edited:

ask92

That guy.
Nov 17, 2008
Rocklin, CA
BJ91T;2039871 said:
How much oil pressure do you have? Thats a lot of relief shim in that pump
Only a 5mm shim. Idle pressure is around 30 when cold and down near 10 when hot.

Well luckily the car seems to be fixing itself haha. After flushing the fluid the trans is now starting to act normal and I am not having any slipping issues. I have driven about 10 miles around the neighborhood so far with no issues so it may be time to put the hood on and start cleaning everything up for smog!

[video=youtube_share;qBTMjJs1H4o]http://youtu.be/qBTMjJs1H4o[/video]

Last edited:

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Main thing I'd check about the shifting stuff- transmission linkage adjustment- if it thinks you're partially in neutral, or if the linkage is being pushed into neutral as you drive, this might the result.

Next time it acts up (if it does it again) turn it off, but don't touch the shifter. Try to crank the vehicle over as-is, if it does- your Park/neutral safety switch or the shifter linkage are out of adjustment. I've seen it a couple times, just not on a Supra.

If it never acts up again, I'd be quite happy as well!

ask92

That guy.
Nov 17, 2008
Rocklin, CA
Alright so decent sized update. After flushing the fluid and just driving the car the transmission is working. I wont say that its perfect, but it works just fine and only is hesitant on shifting when its cold. I put the hood on the car and continued to drive it around slowly fixing everything getting it ready for smog.

I did a few little things like new water pump, and new gaskets here and there to hopefully create a leak free engine

Finally got up the nerve and brought the car in for its one and only smog test

Right off the bat the tech put the car on the dyno nose first and looked bewildered when it kept going right over the rollers. I then told him it was RWD and he said "are you sure?" and gave me this puzzled look as if there was no such thing as a rwd toyota. Anyway the car passed visual, egr and the evap test just fine. Then this genius of a tech tried to get an RPM reading by setting some fucking stick around the engine bay until he got a reading that would match what his computer wanted to see. This scared me a bit since that seems like a pretty sketchy way to get a RPM reading. Regardless he went on with the test...and well...

She failed like a motherfucker....:( I went home and figured the guy was just an idiot and got an inaccurate reading, but regardless I looked over the car one last time before taking it to another shop. Sure as shit:

Hmm the signal wire on the o2 sensor was broken off.. Yet the car ran very well and had no codes.... Who knew? I fixed that issue and went back to get another smog(not at the stick waving retards shop however) and the car passed with flying colors!

Amazing what an o2 sensor can do for smog! haha. Not 10 minutes after I got home did I put this guy out <3

Painted the top section to match the engine bay

And joined him with his friend!

OEM:
[video=youtube;-EMlCUVyrdk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EMlCUVyrdk&feature=youtu.be[/video]

And 3":
[video=youtube;kxXD06cfPqE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxXD06cfPqE&feature=youtu.be[/video]

The car is running very very well and I have put about 60 miles on her so far(Time to do the first oil change). I will be going to the DMV this coming monday to get new plates and registration and take her off non-op!

May be time for some new tires :)
[video=youtube;qMxA4tpnE3o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMxA4tpnE3o&feature=youtu.be[/video]

ask92

That guy.
Nov 17, 2008
Rocklin, CA
Yea the car is registered in a county in CA that only requires smog on change of title, so unless I sell it I will never need to smog it again

ask92

That guy.
Nov 17, 2008
Rocklin, CA
Finally got plates for the car so I have been driving the car on and off for a few weeks now. The steering is a bit loose and the suspension is blown so I am not daily driving it yet(though I could) however I just drove her 10 miles to and from a meet and she drove perfectly!

Only real issue I've had is that I blew off the hot side intercooler pipe(shitty worm clamp)

Recently I redid the entire interior with a new dash, OEM seats and then cleaning and painting the OEM carpet.

There was a bit of crap under the seats

aaannddddd its gone.

New dash

Old and busted vs new and hottness

Carpet getting painted:

And all in:

SO much better looking. Now its time to get the rest painted(door panels, and rear interior) and then get rid of that pesky stick in the middle that only does forward and back and not side to side.

Then I finally got her out into the real world!!

Time to keep refining her more and more!