Th350 Swap Thread

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Im not entirely sure what exactly they checked other then i told them the problem i have and that i wanted it fully checked out.

My last phone call to them ended when they suggested i had a missfire causing my vibration because everything else should be good. At that point i figured i was on my own.

When the weather warms up im going to pull the trans again and mount up the converter to the flexplate with the trans out of the car so i can run the engine and see if i still have a vibration. If i dont i will check the snout for misalignment.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Weather is warmer, I pulled the trans AGAIN and installed the converter to the flexplate and ran the motor.

No vibration felt. Rules out balance of the converter and the likelihood of the converter spinning off center from the motor from excessive pilot runout.

At this point i feel it has to be alignment of the trans to the motor. Im bringing the converter to a local converter shop tomorrow to have the snout double checked for runout along with the pilot. I seriously doubt the pilot is off because it would have offset the converter causing an imbalance that would have been felt when i ran the engine with the converter bolted up.

I am probably going to send the adaptor plate to ATI to have them check the alignment of the dowel pins and bolt holes.

The only other thing i have to report is .015 runout of the flexplate just inside of the converter mounting holes. I also measured .025 runout on the snout of the converter when bolted to the motor, BUT when i spun the converter 180 on the flexplate and remounted, the runout changed significantly leading me to believe i was seeing flexplate runout moreso then converter snout runout.

I really hope i can drive my car this year. Fuckin GM parts! :: angry ::

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Directly just as the stock converter is. When i say Snout i consider that the part that sticks into the pump in the front of the transmission. I would consider the part that goes into the crank the Pilot. Incase i was causing confusion.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
I dont have the equipment for that but im going to have the converter checked for runout in a few minuites at a local converter shop.

This is the swap from hell. :D

madsupra88

BoOoOoST
Sep 17, 2005
Detroit,MI
Thats deff a weird issue dan, Ive never used ati setup. I simply made an adapter plater out of 3/4 alum to mate the th350 to my 7m block. Using the stock flex plate with modified converter mounts! Ive done 4 swaps with never an issue!

Currently on my 2J , I wanted to avoid beeting the tunnel and running the SP pump adapter using the toyota bell housing. Custom converter to use stock flex plate also. Well see how that works out.

-Saif

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Converter tested fine. .004 runout, considered acceptable. I'm tired of things testing fine.

It's very strange. The owner of the shop (highly well known as a guru) said that if the alignment was off it would have torn up the front pump in a very short amount of time

He said I covered all the bases and couldn't think of anything else. really sucks.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
I was going to but its so tight in there i dont know if i have anything to mount the indicator to. I assume that your referring to the center hole of the plate? I asked the ATI tech about that and he checked with the guy that makes the plates and he said it should be within .005 all the way around.

ATI offered to check out the plate so i think im going to mail it to them for inspection.

At this point im ready to just buy a new kit completely but i dont know if it will fix it and i dont want to flush $700 down the tubes. But if i mail it to them and they say it needs to be replaced i will gladly spend the money on a new plate to finally be able to drive my car again.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
lsx020.jpg

assembly44.jpg

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Yea im trying to find a th350 case that i can cut just rear of the pump mounting hole so i can do something similar to the second picture. I think it would be the best way. That is unless i mail it to ATI first.

Sidenote, IF my motor had been line bored and the crank was sitting higher in the block for some reason, would that give me issues? Im assuming depending on the difference in location of the center of the crank from stock it would right?

Is there any way to measure that other then in the above pictures?

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
OK, Went to the trans shop to see if they have a TH350 case to cut up, Came up with the idea of bolting up a 4l60 Bellhousing to the adaptor and running an indicator around the center bore as thats what centers the trans to the bellhousing.

Did so and found .025" runout. As shown below in a shitty Iphone low light video.

[video=youtube;cYTh5dozKwM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYTh5dozKwM[/video]

Tomorrow im going to call ATI and ask what the tolerance should be on the centerline of the trans and possibly send out the adaptor plate and flexplate to them to have them inspected.

IJ: How much runout would cause a vibration? Would .025" measured from roughly the pump area of the trans cause such a huge vibration?

The runout is side to side. It is .025" to the driver side.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
In the video it looks like im doing it properly, right Ian? If so then i guess i finally found the problem. Ill be contacting ATI in the morning and likely shipping out the plate to them to have it double checked. Hopefully they find that its wrong and ill have a new one in route back to me.

Ugh i really hope this is it. If this is it, it means i could be driving again by next week with a new plate. *Fingers crossed*

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Sent the plate off to ATI yesterday so Monday I'm gonna give the a call and hopefully get the bad news that the plate is off. This will actually be good news because I finally found the problem. Of that's the case they have the plates in stock and i could be back up and running next week!