Th350 Swap Thread

madsupra88

BoOoOoST
Sep 17, 2005
Detroit,MI
Hope you get it figured out dan. Never heard of ati adapters being bad maybe you just lucked out!

I should have my gm on the 2j up and running by next month.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
They said the same thing, they said they make 20 at a time on a cnc drill that holds the plate in a fixed position the entire time. They said if one was off it would be likely that 20 would be. They also said they never had anyone have a problem either. A friend of mine works at a place that makes things in a similar fashion and he says that he has seen things come out wrong all the time. Im hoping that the plate i have fell threw the cracks and is off.

At this point i really cant see it being anything else. I have either changed or tested everything else without an finding anything untill i checked the runout on the bellhousing. If they say something is off and i get a new plate, the first thing im bolting up is the bellhousing to compare runout tests.

I also have a w58 trans in my back yard that im going to bolt up to the motor and run the same test to make sure something on my engine isnt screwy. I seriously doubt there is because i have have two a340e's and three different converters in my car without an issue.

Im really hoping that when i call on monday they say that they found something wrong.

Mad: Whats the trans setup? How does it mount to the motor?

madsupra88

BoOoOoST
Sep 17, 2005
Detroit,MI
Dan,
Are you asking about my 7M kits or 2J?

My new setup is for the 2JZ, Using stock flex plate, toyota (j3) bell housing, SP pump/bell adapter, fully built trans, and a custom converter. The converter is not a precision or anything else, its completley custom to fit the yota flex and th350/400 trans.

this is a pic of the converter before its painted :)

p1825778_1.jpg

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Herd back from ATI yesterday and they told me the plate is fine. I guess im going to need offset dowels or something. I need to bolt up a toyota bellhousing to the motor so i can indicate runout on that to make sure the dowels in the motor are fine.

Im getting very tired of this.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
No, i have had two different A340's in the car without issues. Going to call ATI tomorrow and talk with them more because i was at work when the called me the other day and didnt really have time to talk much about the issue.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
So just had .010" offset dowels made. Got the 4l60 bellhousing from .012" to under .005", Bolted up the th350 and its exactly the f*cking same.

Im so f*ckin pissed with this swap, i feel like driving to Maryland and throwing the converter, flexplate and adaptor threw there front window.

So desperate, im considering dropping it off at a trans shop.

mdr40z

Mar 31, 2005
arkansas
Yeah, I am solid mounts everywhere and I get some vibe at some speeds but in my case I don't consider it excessive

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Using solid motor mounts for years and a energy suspension poly trans mount.

At an idle the engine visibly shakes, when you get up around 2000rpm, the car actually makes noise it resonates so bad.

madsupra88

BoOoOoST
Sep 17, 2005
Detroit,MI
at 2000 rpm, does the vibration change at all? for example does it vibrate for 2 seconds then the next second it doesnt, then vibrate again constantly. or does it just shake the same exact way constantly with no change in tone?

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Well it always does it, but at about 2000rpm and up it gets fast/violent enough to shake the whole car like the engine and trans is about to fall out.

The vibration resonates precisely with engine rpm, constantly.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
SOLVED.

Trans shopped machined a step into the pilot of the converter so it resembles the stock converters pilot, and now its sweet.

The stepped shoulder allows the converter to pivot if it needs to rather that being held fixed to the crankshaft angle.

I assume that this means I still have some slight runout somewhere but if the stock converter is designed this way I'm not worried about it.

It runs smooth now, I'm so pumped that I can finally maybe finish my car sometime soon.

madsupra88

BoOoOoST
Sep 17, 2005
Detroit,MI
Nosechunks;1898720 said:
SOLVED.

Trans shopped machined a step into the pilot of the converter so it resembles the stock converters pilot, and now its sweet.

The stepped shoulder allows the converter to pivot if it needs to rather that being held fixed to the crankshaft angle.

I assume that this means I still have some slight runout somewhere but if the stock converter is designed this way I'm not worried about it.

It runs smooth now, I'm so pumped that I can finally maybe finish my car sometime soon.

Nice ! glad to hear that man, its about time you can enjoy the car now!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
"FLEX PLATE" is a bit of a clue ;)

Was the snout machined 1:1 for the pilot?

Toyota snout is only about 5mm wide at it's contact point so it can pivot/flex on the plate, cool it was a simple fix just sucks it took so long to ID...

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Yea I'm not sure the size of the contact patch of the "rib" but it works.

Ill be pulling everything back out to go threw the motor and do some head work before I convert to e85 and get one of those sweet billet turbos.

Ill get some pictures of the machine work then.

It feels so good to get back behind the wheel. :D