Th350 Swap Thread

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Ian: So your saying maybe the trans is centered on the crank but not at the same angle? Would that really cause a sever vibration? The plate is a piece of 1/2 inch aluminum. I dont see how I could correct that. It also did it with two different cases so it can't be something in the bellhousing.

Madsupra: the converter pilot fits as perfectly as I would think it could into the crank. Maybe .001"-.003" clearance. It's very good fitment. It contacts the flexplate flush without the bolts also. I don't see how something in the converter could be off as ATI is one of the best around but it seems to be the only explanation.

The vibration feels like a really heavy vibration. Like something with some real mass to it is causing it. It shakes the whole car.

I'm going to use a dial indicator to see if the case of the converter is spinning on center. If that checks out I'm kinda at a loss of what to do next.

enslaved87

Apr 1, 2005
piss off
Nosechunks;1756826 said:
Ian: So your saying maybe the trans is centered on the crank but not at the same angle? Would that really cause a sever vibration? The plate is a piece of 1/2 inch aluminum. I dont see how I could correct that. It also did it with two different cases so it can't be something in the bellhousing.

Madsupra: the converter pilot fits as perfectly as I would think it could into the crank. Maybe .001"-.003" clearance. It's very good fitment. It contacts the flexplate flush without the bolts also. I don't see how something in the converter could be off as ATI is one of the best around but it seems to be the only explanation.

The vibration feels like a really heavy vibration. Like something with some real mass to it is causing it. It shakes the whole car.

I'm going to use a dial indicator to see if the case of the converter is spinning on center. If that checks out I'm kinda at a loss of what to do next.

Question: Did the engine run fine before this swap?

The reason I ask is because in my scenario I have an element in the equation that I can't quite rule out yet. When the A340 broke The engine immediately had this exact same vibration that I'm experiencing now. So at this point it's tough to rule out the engine. Anyways, I'm going to bolt another A340 to it just to rule that out. I guess if it still vibrates after putting a good known 340 on it....well time to tear the motor down.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Enslaved: I never had an issue before. I pulled a perfectly shifting, perfectly driving a340 and now I'm having the issue.

IJ: If the converter doesn't have any runout I'll try to bolt up the trans without the converter and use a dial indicator mounted to the crank to check the location of the inputshaft of the trans.

This sucks so bad!

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Yea it's really...really bad. Like I said there's vibrations that when you feel them your like "hmmm little vibration there" and the vibration I have is like "oh wow that's bad what is that".

Its so bad to the point where I don't drive the car because I'm afraid of damaging something. I only move the car in and out of my driveway to work on it.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Any luck with it this weekend Dan? Hopefully you figure this out soon so you can still hit the track some before winter.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Well im officially at pretty much a stand still with this. I have been pretty busy so i havnt checked the converter with a dial indicator yet,hopefully tomorrow, but i spoke with the converter tech ATI and hes out of ideas also.

I dont know what to do. I havnt driven my car since June and im really getting tired of pulling trannys out on my back in my driveway.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Nosechunks;1760359 said:
Well im officially at pretty much a stand still with this. I have been pretty busy so i havnt checked the converter with a dial indicator yet,hopefully tomorrow, but i spoke with the converter tech ATI and hes out of ideas also.

I dont know what to do. I havnt driven my car since June and im really getting tired of pulling trannys out on my back in my driveway.

Perhaps time to buy a lift? :p

Did ATI send you the flex plate or was it an OEM unit? Might be worth checking its cocentricity next time the trans is out (not that you wanted to hear that phrase)

Only other things I can think of would be the oil pump in the trans, possibly the input shaft bent, but based o the description I'd be looking at the converter like you have been.

just thinking out loud

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Ha i would buy a lift but i dont have any place to put one!

The trans adaptor plate, flexplate and converter are all ATI. I bought the parts used so while there in unknown condition they all seem to be in good functioning condition. Even if the flexplate was off, the converter pilots snugly into the crank.

The front pump doesnt have the mass needed to make this type of vibration and the vibration occurs while the trans is in gear.

The converter is the only thing to make sense but it still doesnt as it has been checked, gone threw and checked after reassembly to have the same result.

If the converter were spinning out of round by 1/8-1/4 inch it would probably be giving the same vibration im having, but i feel that i would be able to see that by eye when the car is running by looking at the converter.

Ive pretty much spent a bunch of money to miss the summer and get almost intolerably frustrated.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Converter or trans?

Can't run a stock Toyota or chevy converter cause the flexplate is drilled for a custom converter.

I had an built a340e that functioned perfectly that removed for this setup.

enslaved87

Apr 1, 2005
piss off
[video=youtube_share;Ws1H01Yp7oQ]http://youtu.be/Ws1H01Yp7oQ[/video]

This is the culprit on Jims car. FINALLY figured it out.

enslaved87

Apr 1, 2005
piss off
Nosechunks;1784133 said:
What converter is that? How did you spin the converter true?

The converter was placed into the crank pilot hole. it has .0015" of clearance when inserted. Just to remove any large margin of error, I re clocked the entire assembly several times and got the same result.