Targa people, would you be interested in...

Would you be interested in one?

• Yes

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • No

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • Depends on the price

Votes: 35 44.3%

• Total voters

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
With the retorque...would you have to back em out first? Any corrosion issues?

i'm gonna try to make my own X-brace. i would use the connectors from the targa for the rear cus i got a extra one. just gotta find them, heh

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
You could back em off, but mine where very loose to begin with :aigo:

Made a HUGE difference in the way the car handled with the top on and off. Took away most of the targa shimmy as well.

Seems to be one of those maintenance things people don't think about...

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Poodles is correct.

Also, there is enough room to bolt a set of complete subframe connectors from the cross-bar under the engine, welded to the body along the outer edge, and bolted the the rear subframe.

Obviously, welding around the bolt locations increases rigidity.

Cross braced under the center support bearing.

You've now boxed the entire under area of the vehicle, with the subframes as the front and rear sides.

Jeff (7MBoost) - thanks for letting me snag those pics while your Supra was on the lift - I'll be able to start designing the subframes now!

ExileMFG

Jul 13, 2008
Arizona
Here are some installed pics.

Attachments

• targa bar 1 001.jpg
    targa bar 1 001.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 78
  • targa bar 1 006.jpg
    targa bar 1 006.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 57
  • targa bar 1 004.jpg
    targa bar 1 004.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 63

SPD TRP

Formerly 3rdtimearound
Apr 12, 2005
Katy Texas
Doward;1130236 said:
Poodles is correct.

Also, there is enough room to bolt a set of complete subframe connectors from the cross-bar under the engine, welded to the body along the outer edge, and bolted the the rear subframe.

Obviously, welding around the bolt locations increases rigidity.

Cross braced under the center support bearing.

You've now boxed the entire under area of the vehicle, with the subframes as the front and rear sides.

Jeff (7MBoost) - thanks for letting me snag those pics while your Supra was on the lift - I'll be able to start designing the subframes now!

Great, I, like many will be waiting in the wings.

Thanks

Wayne

Zer0DeGreeZ

Feb 11, 2008
N. KY
Hey atleast when your targa is off and your sitting on the roof enjoying some fireworks or something, atleast you'll have cup holders. :)

DavidBaustert

Nov 13, 2007
Dayton Ohio
Facime;1130167 said:
and Im saying thats not true, there is less stress there than you might think.

Draw a free body diagram and you'll see. There has to be an ample amount of stress or else the car wouldn't twist as it does.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
DavidBaustert;1130661 said:
Draw a free body diagram and you'll see. There has to be an ample amount of stress or else the car wouldn't twist as it does.

You realize I designed and sold roughly 30 targa braces which everyone who uses will attest work as intended...right? These same braces are barely visible in your peripheral vision when installed, so you maintain the "feel" of the open top.

Its not the stresses so much as its the ocilation that takes place.

DavidBaustert

Nov 13, 2007
Dayton Ohio
Facime;1130668 said:
You realize I designed and sold roughly 30 targa braces which everyone who uses will attest work as intended...right? These same braces are barely visible in your peripheral vision when installed, so you maintain the "feel" of the open top.

Its not the stresses so much as its the ocilation that takes place.

I completely realize who you are and what you made. But your "design" consisted of nothing more than an educated guess. I understand there must be a balance between form and function and apparently you achieved this. I'm trying to get the point across that there are better ways of doing "designing" these braces. How many cycles were your braces tested for?

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
none of the braces that Ive seen designed are meant to be "structural members" meaning they are not meant as safety items. I based my design on virtual models but with limited testing and with the intension of it being a open air replacement for the stock roof panel. If you look at the stock roof its fairly easy to determine what kind of strength is needed to replace it, and its less than you think, thats all Im saying. Initially the first model and first run of 5 were disturbingly overkill for the application using 1/4" steel and weighed in over 23lbs. Second and third generations were closer to 13lbs and they still did exactly what they were intended to do....stop the shimmy.

I dont really want to argue about this, especially not in an "interest" thread, as I dont make the product anymore and never will. While Im not a huge fan of the asthetics of the new brace I have no doubt it will serve its purpose, and I once again wish them luck with their product.

ExileMFG

Jul 13, 2008
Arizona
Facime;1130825 said:
none of the braces that Ive seen designed are meant to be "structural members" meaning they are not meant as safety items. I based my design on virtual models but with limited testing and with the intension of it being a open air replacement for the stock roof panel. If you look at the stock roof its fairly easy to determine what kind of strength is needed to replace it, and its less than you think, thats all Im saying. Initially the first model and first run of 5 were disturbingly overkill for the application using 1/4" steel and weighed in over 23lbs. Second and third generations were closer to 13lbs and they still did exactly what they were intended to do....stop the shimmy.

I dont really want to argue about this, especially not in an "interest" thread, as I dont make the product anymore and never will. While Im not a huge fan of the asthetics of the new brace I have no doubt it will serve its purpose, and I once again wish them luck with their product.

Thanks.

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
hey sorry for the bump but can you get these made still? what does it look like on a supra any pics?

i didnt go through whole thread cuz i've been searching for the different targa bars made...

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA

I honestly think the do-luck style brace would be the best solution. Support along all three axes, pre-loaded with the double-threaded tensioner for strength, and it leaves the whole top open for maximum enjoyment.

Rajunz

Fast Coonass
Apr 5, 2005
Austin, Texas USA
www.cardomain.com
Bleakvoid;1686871 said:

I honestly think the do-luck style brace would be the best solution. Support along all three axes, pre-loaded with the double-threaded tensioner for strength, and it leaves the whole top open for maximum enjoyment.
Pictures or link to this Do-Luck style brace please?

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a78/bkhollyer/Supra/supra010.jpg

It's been around for quite a while...the other targa mk3 in my city has one installed. It makes enough of a difference in "noodling" with the top off that I noticed it driving his car, even though both of us have stock suspension. Not quite as rigid as having the top on, but much better than nothing. The tension may not be set right, however, as I hear it can be as good as a hardtop when set up correctly. YMMV.

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
BIC Performance has stepped up and made some Targa Bars. We made a batch last summer, and will be making another batch shortly, will probably get a GB going this time around.....also of the nearly 100 people that said they were interested only 4-5 bought !!!

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
becauseican;1687865 said:
BIC Performance has stepped up and made some Targa Bars. We made a batch last summer, and will be making another batch shortly, will probably get a GB going this time around.....also of the nearly 100 people that said they were interested only 4-5 bought !!!

id seriously buy 1 i take my targa off all the time im in cali and its going 2 be sunny until oct...im interested in group buy if i sell my harness i can pay in full or put down payment on them...

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
The Do-Luck RXB does nothing to stop chassis twist. It's twisting because of the lack of bracing between the front and back of the frame. The targa top when bolted down makes that bracing. there is some designed into the doors connecting the two, but the "noodle" effect still stays.

something like what was posted by the OP, the Weezl wings, BIC bars, etc secure the front to the back and will help to alleviate the twisting.