Targa people, would you be interested in...

Would you be interested in one?

• Yes

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • No

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • Depends on the price

Votes: 35 44.3%

• Total voters

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
It's mostly a mute point, as they don't even need to be there. Most braces are major overkill for the application. Got a pic somewhere of a single cross brace setup...

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
so if i am following correctly in order to solve the shimmi twist flex issue we would need to add 2000 lbs of bars tubes crossbraces gussets ect to the top bottom sides inside and outside of our already heavy as a tank cars???? comeon guys i am interested in one and no its not gonna "solve" the issue but anything will help....if i can notice the shimmy twist w/e at 40 mph its a problem... if i can feel a difference with one of these things then its worth it.....IMO

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
3 bars != tons of weight. Two (strut towers) are usually aluminum and the Xbrace is steel...all in all some 40 to 50 lbs, tops, which you can make back by removing the back seats and spare tire; but why would you? A single PSI of boost will take the same amount off your 1/4 mile time as removing 100 lbs of weight. I'd say it depends on your application, personally. Stock suspension and a decent chassis? Don't brace it, if you don't want to. Transferring more forces to the chassis due to coilovers, huge swaybars, and tons of torque? Brace that (probably old) chassis before it twists itself out of spec permanently.

Just my $0.02. YMMV, YTMND, TMNT, and some other acronym.

Rajunz

Fast Coonass
Apr 5, 2005
Austin, Texas USA
www.cardomain.com
Poodles;1689280 said:
Rear one still does nothing. The X-brace that attaches to the strut towers and the rear shoulder belt spot are a maybe...
Totally disagree, the rear strut bars may do nothing for Targa twist, but they definitely change the handling characteristics of the car. I've ridden in Trent's old car before and after he installed a rear one, definitely changed the way it cornered.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Don't poke the troll :/those of us that have strut bars somehow can notice the better handling from our so called pointless additions:)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
winsauce;1689121 said:
the rear set can help...
im just welding a bar inbetween the strut towers

Depends where it's welded.

Rajunz;1689340 said:
Totally disagree, the rear strut bars may do nothing for Targa twist, but they definitely change the handling characteristics of the car. I've ridden in Trent's old car before and after he installed a rear one, definitely changed the way it cornered.

Do you remember which bar he had? Most of the ones on the market these days have joints in them rendering them useless.

jdmfreak;1689392 said:
Don't poke the troll :/those of us that have strut bars somehow can notice the better handling from our so called pointless additions:)

Notice who you're calling a troll...

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Sorry poodles didn't mean to offend ... so will you answer my question why if they don't do any thing on paper why was i able to notice when the people who changed my shocks loosened it up too much

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Front strut towers are only taking verticle loads from the springs and dampeners, as the upper A-arm takes all other forces. McPherson strut car (like a MKII supra) all loads are handles by the upper strut tower. On the rear, you have the same arrangement, plus there is already a large brace (that hump behind the read seats). A solid bar without joints will stop any small amount of flex that occurs, but I haven't seen those bars around in some time.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Ah so front strut bars only help with struts not shocked like ours... that makes perfect sense... I never thought of it like that before... I guess because I paid money for it I wanted it to work sorry my bad I spoke up too soon