Targa people, would you be interested in...

Would you be interested in one?

• Yes

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • No

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • Depends on the price

Votes: 35 44.3%

• Total voters

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
CryoSlash;1108602 said:
I am still waiting for someone to make one that can stay on the car at all times. As in you can bolt the roof on it....

Good point brought up, I've been waiting as well.

Highnitro

Boostin' 4 life
Jun 18, 2007
Vancouver, WA
i like the idea of it, i wouldnt mind getting one, but it looks like it needs to be beefed up a bit. id rather have one that is strong than one that looks good.

Clint

AzSupras
Apr 4, 2005
Mesa, Arizona, United States
highnitro12187;1109008 said:
i like the idea of it, i wouldnt mind getting one, but it looks like it needs to be beefed up a bit. id rather have one that is strong than one that looks good.

I do believe this product will be more then capable to handle what it's made for :).

There is no doubt in my mind that it doesn't need to be even more "beefed up" then what it is as ExileMFG went the extra mile to use .095 wall tubing metareal that has a high stress rating...

Like we said before this isnt a roll cage by any mean's it isnt made to protect you agenst a wreck or anything of that nature, it's just something that you put on and cruise around with so you can enjoy the top off with out any form of shimmy.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
jdub;1108577 said:
You can't be serious...or, are you one of the types on here that puts looks before function?

Most of us like running the car without a top on a nice spring day. If I can minimize chassis flex (i.e. targa shimmy) and still enjoy the car with no top, then why the heck not.

And, if you're saying I'm gay...those are fighting words in my house ;)

Dont take it so personally, I dont mean disrespect. The man asked for an honest opinion and that was it.

If a giant dildo on my hood actually managed to add a slight amount of rigidity to my car that isnt enough for me to go out and buy it.

I'll rest my case there.

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
americanjebus;1109535 said:
Dont take it so personally, I dont mean disrespect. The man asked for an honest opinion and that was it.

If a giant dildo on my hood actually managed to add a slight amount of rigidity to my car that isnt enough for me to go out and buy it.

I'll rest my case there.

awesome, I love this post.

Also i would point out that just like a roll cage, I think steel tubing above your head should have padding on it if you are not going to be wearing a helmet driving the car. If you do get in an accident and hit your head on those bars it will not feel good...

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Murd;1109482 said:
I realize wikipedia isn't always accurate, but in this case I tend to agree with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Targa_top

Not the same.

Did you even read the links? Says clear as day "Examples of traditional Targa Top cars" - 78-'02 Camaro and '76-'02 Firebird. :3d_frown:

Structurally, there is minimal difference in rigidity. The Supra is more rigid than a 3rd generation (82-92) Camaro due to what? Rigidity of the floor pan.

If you're going to have an open box, and you want it strong, then use something other than cardboard for your flooring ;) A perimeter-tube style subframe connector will tie the front and rear subframes together, giving you a MUCH stronger base. Done correctly, you still get a 3-dimensional increase in rigidity - it may not be the same height as the entire car, but there is a hell of a difference between a 1.5" tube and a 20 gauge piece of sheetmetal ;)

Murd

Dec 19, 2006
Vancouver, WA.
Doward;1109762 said:
Did you even read the links? Says clear as day "Examples of traditional Targa Top cars" - 78-'02 Camaro and '76-'02 Firebird. :3d_frown:

Actually I did read it, did you?

Examples of the Targa car and T-bar top body style include:

as well as

Targa tops are different from T-tops, which have a solid, non-removable bar running between the top of the windshield and the rear roll-bar.

text directly from the site.

DavidBaustert

Nov 13, 2007
Dayton Ohio
The ideal thing would be to connect the 4 corners together with a square and then place an "X" in the middle. The targa brace would also need to be put in a state of compression aka stretch the roof apart slightly. Steel will always be strong in a state of compression than in a state of tension. Just a mechanical engineers viewpoint. I'm currently analyzing the stress the car undergoes to come up with a working model of the most effective targa brace that can be made. The most effective targa brace will most likely be the targa top though.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
DavidBaustert;1129873 said:
The ideal thing would be to connect the 4 corners together with a square and then place an "X" in the middle. The targa brace would also need to be put in a state of compression aka stretch the roof apart slightly. Steel will always be strong in a state of compression than in a state of tension. Just a mechanical engineers viewpoint. I'm currently analyzing the stress the car undergoes to come up with a working model of the most effective targa brace that can be made. The most effective targa brace will most likely be the targa top though.

if you take the inner liner off a stock roof panel you might be surprised by what you see. There is very little structure to it and NOTHING that resembles a cross brace, all its strength comes from the outer "square" of its structure, and the thin skin over it.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
i made sub frame connectos befor bolt in afair no weled you can weld them for extra stregth but not sure if the person who bough them off me did

i tried it out and ummm did not notice to much of a gain what i felt was the front and the back wheel's more inline with each other as tracked better

i had hard top thou

the biggest impovemnet was when i install soild spacers in the sub frame and center brace in side of the car(just like the duluck but mine was a 3 inc exhuast pipe weld to each side this made every thing way better then thou connecoters ever did

but i did not try them with the solid spacers

Doward;1109762 said:

Structurally, there is minimal difference in rigidity. The Supra is more rigid than a 3rd generation (82-92) Camaro due to what? Rigidity of the floor pan.

If you're going to have an open box, and you want it strong, then use something other than cardboard for your flooring ;) A perimeter-tube style subframe connector will tie the front and rear subframes together, giving you a MUCH stronger base. Done correctly, you still get a 3-dimensional increase in rigidity - it may not be the same height as the entire car, but there is a hell of a difference between a 1.5" tube and a 20 gauge piece of sheetmetal ;)

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
IJ.;1108667 said:
Boxing the Seat mount rails then closing in the Trans tunnel with an X brace that intersects the seat mount boxes would have more effect on torsional ridgidity than any of the "connector solutions" I've seen tried here.

It needs to something 3d not on a single flat plane.

rollcage?

DavidBaustert

Nov 13, 2007
Dayton Ohio
Facime;1129943 said:
if you take the inner liner off a stock roof panel you might be surprised by what you see. There is very little structure to it and NOTHING that resembles a cross brace, all its strength comes from the outer "square" of its structure, and the thin skin over it.

DavidBaustert;1129873 said:
The ideal thing would be to connect the 4 corners together with a square and then place an "X" in the middle. The targa brace would also need to be put in a state of compression aka stretch the roof apart slightly. Steel will always be stronger in a state of compression than in a state of tension. Just a mechanical engineers viewpoint. I'm currently analyzing the stress the car undergoes to come up with a working model of the most effective targa brace that can be made. The most effective targa brace will most likely be the targa top though.

The point I was getting at is that the most effective targa brace will most likely completely defeat the purpose of taking the targa top off.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
DavidBaustert;1130102 said:
The point I was getting at is that the most effective targa brace will most likely completely defeat the purpose of taking the targa top off.

and Im saying thats not true, there is less stress there than you might think.

SPD TRP

Formerly 3rdtimearound
Apr 12, 2005
Katy Texas
I for one don't take my top out nearly as much as I would like because of the targa flex, when I do it is usually on a road trip or extended time on the hiway where flex seems to be minimized.

I don't mean to discourage anyone's ideas about a targa brace, but I would be more interested in some undercarriage bracing allowing the top to stay open.

I think IJ may be on to something about boxing the seat frame rails and X bracing the tranny tunnel. I tend to agree with IJ, it needs to be 3D to some extent. I will also wait for Dowards ideas on the subject.

Just my .02

Wayne