swaq's mild build

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
I've been having periodic fuel cut issues, so I finally went ahead and adjusted my boost controller. The previous owner had installed it and I couldn't find the manual in his records so I had to make a guess as to which way to turn it to decrease the boost.

I choose tightening it (clockwise), which turned out to be wrong. When I took it out for a test drive I hit around 13-15 psi. Since it was wet out it lit up the tires in 2nd (and a bit in third). That was fun. Unfortunately it was hitting fuel cut much more often, so I had to turn the fun dial back. Now running about 10-11 psi and no fuel cut, yet.

I still need to get my high flow cat installed and have my A/C fixed...

kylefoto

I am not ASIAN!
May 7, 2006
Lynnwood, WA
www.myspace.com
swaq said:
I've been having periodic fuel cut issues, so I finally went ahead and adjusted my boost controller. The previous owner had installed it and I couldn't find the manual in his records so I had to make a guess as to which way to turn it to decrease the boost.

I choose tightening it (clockwise), which turned out to be wrong. When I took it out for a test drive I hit around 13-15 psi. Since it was wet out it lit up the tires in 2nd (and a bit in third). That was fun. Unfortunately it was hitting fuel cut much more often, so I had to turn the fun dial back. Now running about 10-11 psi and no fuel cut, yet.

I still need to get my high flow cat installed and have my A/C fixed...
Make sure you're taking into consideration the temperature makes the air much denser when it's cold out...

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
kylefoto said:
Make sure you're taking into consideration the temperature makes the air much denser when it's cold out...
Yeah, I figure the max boost will drop when I move to Arizona, but that's fine by me. I'd rather it never hit fuel cut again than try to squeeze out every last 0.1 psi. I'll probably go MAFT Pro or something in the future and turn up the boost then.

kylefoto

I am not ASIAN!
May 7, 2006
Lynnwood, WA
www.myspace.com
swaq said:
Yeah, I figure the max boost will drop when I move to Arizona, but that's fine by me. I'd rather it never hit fuel cut again than try to squeeze out every last 0.1 psi. I'll probably go MAFT Pro or something in the future and turn up the boost then.
Good call.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
I moved to Arizona last week. I took a few pictures along the way.

Before loading up:
IMG_3431.jpg

Brief stop in Eugene to pick up furniture and stuff:
IMG_3434.jpg

Stayed at a couple Motel 6's along the way:
IMG_3435.jpg

Getting ready to unload at Tucson. My wife and a family friend:
IMG_3436.jpg

SupraDreamPDR

Boost-a-holic!!
Feb 3, 2006
Springfield, OH.
swaq;895218 said:
I'm really enjoying the warmer weather. However it means I'm going to have to get my A/C fixed very soon...

What are you talking about... that's what the targa top is for. Good looking Supra. :biglaugh:

Last edited:

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
I lived in Tucson for the better part of 8 years. Went to school, met my wife, worked on movies out at old Tucson and Mescal, and finally moved out because the idea of another summer there was just too unbearable to imagine.

You are going to be wishing that Supra was paint code 040 pretty quickly. The winters there are wonderful. Its just too bad they dont last all year long.

But congrats on the successful move. If you want to meet some pretty cool guys I can hook ya up with my friends that still live there. They are car guys, but more into rock crawling (when they arent playing D&D). Let me know if you want contact info.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
SupraDreamPDR;895368 said:
What are you taling about... that's what the targa top is for. Good looking Supra. :biglaugh:
Targa top is good until about 90-100 degrees, depending on the length of the drive. Tucson hits 110+ in the summer. So I'll be using the targa top a lot in the spring and fall.

I'm hoping the window tint will help keep the heat out some.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
Hmm, so Leyla has been having some electrical issues lately. If I let the car sit for a while (overnight, during work, etc.) it becomes very difficult to start. I'll turn the key and nothing will happen. But if I do it several times it will finally start. In addition, my alarm hasn't been "chirping" when I've been locking/unlocking my car anymore. Also, my electric fans are not always staying on...

At first I suspected the batter, but I had a free electrical test done and the battery and charging system came out fine. I'm suspecting the terminal connectors now, which were getting rather dirty/corroded. Cleaning the terminals/connectors didn't seem to do anything, so I went ahead and replaced the terminal connectors. Hopefully that will fix the problems I'm seeing.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
Took it into the shop. They found the starter was bad and replaced it. They also fixed a fuel leak they found and the A/C system.

My alarm is still not chirping and my fans didn't stay on when they were supposed to... I don't have time for this crap.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
So after getting my car back from the shop I found that it had a very fast coolant leak. So I had to haul it back in and they found that the heater core was bad... If I had a garage I'd be fixing this myself, grr. In the meantime I just had them bypass the heater core, not too much need for it until the winter here.

So I am now more than a $1000 lighter, but my A/C works and my car starts. I hate not having space to work on my car myself.

One thing I noticed when looking under my hood today, the metal tube thing that the coolant hose is supposed to connect to for the heater core is bent up instead of circular/round. I'm assuming this is not normal? I'm wondering if the shop brutalized that when they were bypassing it...

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
Same thing happened to the metal tube that goes to the heater core in my car...it is VERY easy to bend it...I was lucky and was able to carefully bend it back into shape. I'm not sure, but I think that is part of the heater core and will be replaced when you decide to do the entire job.