Supramania's Elite Engine bay Thread...ZERO progress pics.

Stanmk3

Jul 2, 2007
Norway
Supracentral;1573766 said:
Very nice. I love that turbocharger stay. What a great idea.

Thanks :) Im very happy with the outcome.And it looks like it works

MarkIII4Me;1573781 said:
^
Very nice. But why so much bracing on the turbo?

What kind of BOV is that?

Well,i just didnt get time to weld my own manifold before the season.So i mounted a cheap china thing on which i dont trust a 100%.And with the big gt45 i thought it was better to be safer then sorry.I heard they can crack easily.

The bov is a PPF from http://www.pure-pf.com/ which has a 2" inlet and makes a darker release sound then most bov's i heard

Supra28;1574089 said:
Immaculate! Thanks for the new wallpaper..

Cheers :) my pleasure

Last edited:

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
MarkIII4Me;1573781 said:
Very nice. But why so much bracing on the turbo?

I can tell you from many years of experience that the amount of stress an unsupported turbo (especially the huge aftermarket turbos you can put on a 3.0 liter inline six) puts on the threads in an aluminum head is not a good thing. You won't find any modern factory turbocharger that doesn't have a stay to relieve at least some of the stress on those bolts. It's a mistake that most modders make and it shouldn't be ignored.

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
Supracentral;1574138 said:
I can tell you from many years of experience that the amount of stress an unsupported turbo (especially the huge aftermarket turbos you can put on a 3.0 liter inline six) puts on the threads in an aluminum head is not a good thing. You won't find any modern factory turbocharger that doesn't have a stay to relieve at least some of the stress on those bolts. It's a mistake that most modders make and it shouldn't be ignored.

while we are on this subject, do you think the boss turbo still needs a turbo stay? i mean, they arent that big. if so, i guess ill have to fab something up

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
7M-KDL;1574191 said:
while we are on this subject, do you think the boss turbo still needs a turbo stay? i mean, they arent that big. if so, i guess ill have to fab something up

In my opinion, even the CT-26 needs a stay (and look! Toyota provided one).

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
Stanmk3;1573683 said:
p1574259_1.jpg

Just a little pic of my mk3 from Norway

Nice, clean and functional bay. :)

Duane

Stanmk3

Jul 2, 2007
Norway
I barely got a session at the dynapack before last weekend right after break in.We had some ignition problems boosting over 1,25bar / 17,5psi.I later found out it was a bad earth connection to the coils.
At 1,25 i got 468rwhp / aprox 550 newtons on 98 octan.And i still havent touched the camshafts.

Ive got another session next thursday at which point im gonna change to E85 and bigger injectors.We did a street map 3 days ago,and did 1,72 bar / 24 psi that seemed to make alot of difference from 1,25 for sure.

So im deffinetly expecting some better numbers on the dyno next time

Im using a gt45 style turbo.Im not sure of the manufactorer,but im guessing china turbo.I know some of these are ok quality,and som arent so good.Ive used them before,and never had a problem boosting close to 28 psi.Im getting 1 bar of boost at aprox 4000 rpm.We'll see how it goes.But im considering getting a genuine holset

Other internals like Wiseco 0,60 over,eagles,clevites,arp through,done alot with the bottom oil system,crower 272's w/ spring ret kit,hks stopper,stainless valves,blueprinted/balanced etc.My 1 regret is not getting some stronger rods,though ive heard of a few fellas making close to 800 on the wheels with em.Wasent that you Duane at some point??

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
Stanmk3;1574422 said:
I barely got a session at the dynapack before last weekend right after break in.We had some ignition problems boosting over 1,25bar / 17,5psi.I later found out it was a bad earth connection to the coils.
At 1,25 i got 468rwhp / aprox 550 newtons on 98 octan.And i still havent touched the camshafts.

Ive got another session next thursday at which point im gonna change to E85 and bigger injectors.We did a street map 3 days ago,and did 1,72 bar / 24 psi that seemed to make alot of difference from 1,25 for sure.

So im deffinetly expecting some better numbers on the dyno next time

Im using a gt45 style turbo.Im not sure of the manufactorer,but im guessing china turbo.I know some of these are ok quality,and som arent so good.Ive used them before,and never had a problem boosting close to 28 psi.Im getting 1 bar of boost at aprox 4000 rpm.We'll see how it goes.But im considering getting a genuine holset

Other internals like Wiseco 0,60 over,eagles,clevites,arp through,done alot with the bottom oil system,crower 272's w/ spring ret kit,hks stopper,stainless valves,blueprinted/balanced etc.My 1 regret is not getting some stronger rods,though ive heard of a few fellas making close to 800 on the wheels with em.Wasent that you Duane at some point??

You run Eagles? They should be fine for that power. Sounds like a nice set-up. Posts vids when you get a chance!

Ian; what do you mean by, "mine"> There are no pics. LOL

Duane

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Now I've seen turbo blankets, hood blankets, pipe blankets......but an entire engine blanket?!! Wowza!

Is there a benefit to keeping all that heat inside the engine? Do you run sensitive electronics in the bay or something? It doesn't even look like your drawing air in from the bay.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
upgradedsupra;1574562 said:
You run Eagles? They should be fine for that power. Sounds like a nice set-up. Posts vids when you get a chance!

Ian; what do you mean by, "mine"> There are no pics. LOL

Duane
"Mine" is a link and looking at the last 10 or so posts of chitchat I didn't think it was an issue :p

empera;1574570 said:
look at the cute blankey ;)
LOL

MarkIII4Me;1574595 said:
Now I've seen turbo blankets, hood blankets, pipe blankets......but an entire engine blanket?!! Wowza!

Is there a benefit to keeping all that heat inside the engine? Do you run sensitive electronics in the bay or something? It doesn't even look like your drawing air in from the bay.
Tying to stop it cooking everything as there's so much hot surface area (800c on the pipes isn't uncommon as have had issues in the past when I've made headers with so much up high).

There are a few small side benefits keeping the heat in the pipes (everything is ceramic coated as well)

It's mainly an effort to keep the bay as cool as possible for Summer traffic/Air Con days.

T701jz

3M ENGINEER - R.&.D
Jul 23, 2005
Santa Clarita Ca.
IJ.;1574636 said:
"Mine" is a link and looking at the last 10 or so posts of chitchat I didn't think it was an issue :p

LOL

Tying to stop it cooking everything as there's so much hot surface area (800c on the pipes isn't uncommon as have had issues in the past when I've made headers with so much up high).

There are a few small side benefits keeping the heat in the pipes (everything is ceramic coated as well)

It's mainly an effort to keep the bay as cool as possible for Summer traffic/Air Con days.

Hey Ian, I'm in the process of having the OEM hood custom made (MKIV-Top secret style) and I'll definitely have it replicate (If you're interested).