RogueCustoms

Custom Painter/Fabricator
Apr 7, 2012
Beaverton, Oregon, United States

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
Ive read you jack up the front, bolt it onto one strut tower then the other you lower the strut a little bit and line up the bolts and then tighten it up. This is if my memory serves right.

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
I think they look cool too, and they make bitches panties wet. Other than that Im with Dave

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
IIRC the TRD bar won't fit over a stock 7M, you'd have to go FFIM. It's probably one of the only ones that would do anything as it doesn't have any rotation points.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Like Grimjack was alluding to, "strut tower bars" are not a performance upgrade for our cars. It's merely a "gee doesn't that look cool" accessory. And like gurley0916 mentioned there is some inward flex when you load the shock towers. However on an independent double wishbone suspension with a modular suspension sub-frame this flex does not change the suspension geometry. On cars that use McPherson struts, where the struts are a stressed part of the suspension, this flex can change the geometry of the suspension, and affect the cornering performance. So Honda’s need strut tower bars, Supras don't.

Now if your looking for straight up chassis stiffening, and not looking to strengthen weakness in the suspension, then you can use a tower brace that triangulates at the firewall with reinforcement.

Something like this:
trd-strut-bar.jpg

But I'm not sure of anybody that makes one like that for our cars. But you get the idea.

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
ifyouaint1sturlast;1827485 said:
Sorry but, any idea whose car that is in the first pic? It's a 100% perfect 2JZ stock swap. Down to the cruise control, and small details like the brake booster vac port. I'm dying to see more.

No no 99% the heater hose is coupled together :p

RogueCustoms

Custom Painter/Fabricator
Apr 7, 2012
Beaverton, Oregon, United States
@ ifyouaint1sturlast

Hate to say it... But I just found on Google images... Look up TRD Strut Tower bar and you might be able to find the source.

Sorry but, any idea whose car that is in the first pic? It's a 100% perfect 2JZ stock swap. Down to the cruise control, and small details like the brake booster vac port. I'm dying to see more.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Dirgle;1827472 said:
Like Grimjack was alluding to, "strut tower bars" are not a performance upgrade for our cars.
Agreed.

Dirgle; 1827472 said:
Now if your looking for straight up chassis stiffening, and not looking to strengthen weakness in the suspension, then you can use a tower brace that triangulates at the firewall with reinforcement.

Something like this:
View attachment 57070

But I'm not sure of anybody that makes one like that for our cars. But you get the idea.

I doubt even that would do anything. The firewall is just stamped steel. Any load that would potentially flex the towers enough for the bar to actually do anything would probably just tear it right out of the firewall.

Want rigidity? Cage the car like the Group A Supras. THAT will make a difference.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
IJ.;1827484 said:
Wotam? Acronym, or are you being cryptic again Yoda? :p

Dirgle;1827472 said:

I've seen ONE like that, I believe it was a Cusco... I have a picture of it at home somewhere, however...

shaeff;1827618 said:
I doubt even that would do anything. The firewall is just stamped steel. Any load that would potentially flex the towers enough for the bar to actually do anything would probably just tear it right out of the firewall.

Want rigidity? Cage the car like the Group A Supras. THAT will make a difference.
This. I have reason to doubt that the firewall itself is strong enough to hold chassis flex...

That said, our cars have a pretty stiff chassis to begin with. Pick up behind a front wheel on my car, and the rear wheel comes up with it. Haven't seen too many cars with a wheelbase this long that do that. ;)

If you look at the address of the link, it has .dk in there. I think this is a website originating in Denmark. I could very easily be mistaken though... Beautiful swap for sure.

goliath

Fears no evil!
Mar 31, 2005
Lancaster, PA.
www.cardomain.com
I would have to agree, from a suspension and handling stand point there is very little benefit. However I noticed a sizable improvement in the amount of body flex after I installed my bars. My RBX was a significant part of that improvement though.

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
GrimJack;1827394 said:
Useful for leaning on when working over the engine bay. Other than that, completely pointless. This is not a McPherson Strut suspension.

Newbie question alert; Does this also hold true for the rear strut bar??

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
shaeff;1827618 said:
Agreed.

Completely agree, just look how much the firewall flexes from pushing on the brake pedal. It's the reason I mentioned reinforcement. I suppose I could have been clearer.
Supra28;1827689 said:
Newbie question alert; Does this also hold true for the rear strut bar??

But, there isn't even an engine to look at back there.

Joking aside, both front and back are double wishbone modular suspension setups. We're fortunate to have a car like that. No McPherson struts to deal with.

Last edited: