Strut Tower Bars...

RogueCustoms

Custom Painter/Fabricator
Apr 7, 2012
Beaverton, Oregon, United States
Dirgle;1827727 said:
Completely agree, just look how much the firewall flexes from pushing on the brake pedal. It's the reason I mentioned reinforcement. I suppose I could have been clearer.

But, there isn't even an engine to look at back there.

Joking aside, both front and back are double wishbone modular suspension setups. We're fortunate to have a car like that. No McPherson struts to deal with.

So what about sway bars...? Are those pointless too?

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
RogueCustoms;1827798 said:
So what about sway bars...? Are those pointless too?

No, swaybars are very important. They aren't built to stop suspension geometry changes. Supras (due to the chassis design) don't have problems with chassis flexing like McPherson strut cars do...

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
IJ.;1827802 said:
One of the best Mods you can do to an A70 chassis, the stock bars are tubular for weight savings and not even close to stiff enough.

Supracentral;1827804 said:
No, swaybars are very important. They aren't built to stop suspension geometry changes. Supras (due to the chassis design) don't have problems with chassis flexing like McPherson strut cars do...

Poodles;1827812 said:
Sway bars are definately not pointless ;)

Glad all the mods agree:)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Waaaaaaaayyy back when I got my 86.5 I did all the usual suspension mods, Springs Shocks Wheels Tires Alignment replaced all the worn parts and it STILL Handled like a boat to the point I didn't think I'd keep it...

There were no Sway Bars available so I ended up buying a pair from the junkyard and shipping them to WhiteLine to use as patterns, INSTANT transformation! :)

say "Thankyou Unkie IJ" kids ;)

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
IJ.;1827821 said:
Waaaaaaaayyy back when I got my 86.5 I did all the usual suspension mods, Springs Shocks Wheels Tires Alignment replaced all the worn parts and it STILL Handled like a boat to the point I didn't think I'd keep it...

There were no Bars available so I ended up buying a pair from the junkyard and shipping them to WhiteLine to use as patterns, INSTANT transformation! :)

say "Thankyou Unkie IJ" kids ;)

Just for clarification you're speaking of sway bars.....correct???

Sent from my C771

RogueCustoms

Custom Painter/Fabricator
Apr 7, 2012
Beaverton, Oregon, United States
Well... I feel almost like a noob for even asking... But thank you... Saved me money in not buying strut bars. Now I have to buy sway bars.

Side note... I think I threw some away. I bought a 2 car for one in hopes to drop a new motor in my black Supra. My wife and found our that we were going to have son and there went my motor and a few other choice things... Argh!! >:\

Mynes_3

Sep 8, 2009
cencal
What about running a "c-pillar" bar? No help right? Just wondering since my brother has one lying around and i took it and fitted it on the supra. Fits almost perfect except the fact its a tad short so i just bolt it in and u can say the bar is "pulled".

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
jdmfreak;1827632 said:
Wotam = waste of time and money
Ahh... thanks! :)

RogueCustoms;1827845 said:
What are you guys running for sway bars??
Stock for now, but I just picked up some Tanabes. Debating whether to put them on this car or not, everything on the current car is going onto the 87 chassis for the widebody project...

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
Whitelines are adjustable and the stiffest IIRC.. when I get around to upgrading mine, probably right before BBK, I'll be adding a set.

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
ifyouaint1sturlast;1827485 said:
Sorry but, any idea whose car that is in the first pic? It's a 100% perfect 2JZ stock swap. Down to the cruise control, and small details like the brake booster vac port. I'm dying to see more.

It is my car.

Recently converted it to hydrofan and replaced the mkIV automatic transmission with a 1999 Soarer automatic transmission.

A couple of pictures. The bay needs cleaning after working on and of over the winter.

CIMG4352r.jpg

CIMG4348r.jpg