So why did you ditch your first Mk3?

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
Well this is sort of a 2 part question.
I know some people on here ditched their 1st mk3 (nick, adam, drjonez adam) for a new one. I am wondering why though? Was the car in good shape when you decided to get a new one, so you wanted a fresh start? Was the chassis not straight? Was there rust issues?
I was just looking at mine and my brothers cars and i am trying to figure out what to do with both because we both have some issue, of , you guessed it, rust.
How much is too much for a car? Wheel wells are going on both, so i am just wondering what advice/experience anyone can give me on this.
-Tom

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
I literally ditched mine...(stupid blocked photobucket at work...I intended to show a picture of my wrecked first supra)

wheel well rust is now a little more difficult to deal with as toyota stopped producing the sheet metal (I beleive I got the last ones in NA)

edit...here we go.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Last edited:

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Didn't...

Maybe if it had REALLY bad chassis rot... but I'd rather fix any rust myself - save myself from all the unknowns of a completely different car.

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
adampecush;1342508 said:
I literally ditched mine...(stupid blocked photobucket at work...I intended to show a picture of my wrecked first supra)

wheel well rust is now a little more difficult to deal with as toyota stopped producing the sheet metal (I beleive I got the last ones in NA)

I remember seeing a picture of that one, it's a bit different when it's unsurvivable lol.
IJ.;1342510 said:
Still have mine Tom and it'll be my only Supra ;)

You're a special case ian ;)

zolpix

Supra in the making...
Jul 19, 2008
New Zealand
Still have my first one, was my first car as well. I hope i never have to ditch it, got a great deal on the car, had no rust and was straight....too bad it came with a 1ggte

GotBoost?

I do
Nov 25, 2005
By My Computer
My first Supra was a one owner, low mileage, pristine and 100% original turbo 5 speed hardtop. I was dumb and didn't know what a jewel i had and sold it when someone offered me a nice sum for it. Yeah, that was dumb.

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
It hasn't ran since 2k4 but I still have it in my garage actually :). It's been stripped but I plan on replacing every bolt, every bushing, everything. It's going to be the most expensive / long project I ever take on but I refuse to ever get rid of this car. My budget isn't where this car needs to be so I will wait and play with my maroon supra until I get a career to actually do it perfect the way I wanted. It's my baby, my 1st car... since I was 18 I had it. Not sure how many of you remember but this is what she looked like in her prime:
p1342760_1.jpg

My maroon supra sits outside the garage while this one stripped sits inside :p

Rust is common here in the Northeast USA. Got my former '90T 5 spd in '92 with just under 40K miles. Drove it essentially stock until '06, when it had the dreaded BHG at 165K miles. Rust was really starting to take its toll, as was wear of the driver's seat welting. The "elbow rest area" on the driver's door vinyl was cracked away.

Bought a '91 from Houston, 103K miles, no rust. Pulled the head to put in an MHG as a preventative measure. Found that it had a BHG before: #1 cylinder had a bent connecting rod. Built up a JDM and installed it. It is NEVER driven in salt, and only rarely in rain. I will have that car for the rest of my life (now 66 years young).

BernieK
'91T, non-targa, refreshed JDM, Walbro, Lex, 550cc ND injectors, 57 trim turbo at 17 PSI (at 3000 pipe), '98 wheels and engine mounts (strong!), Lipp, modified stock FPR, Treadstone IC, hardpipes, Cometic, ARP, Random Tech 3" single cat downpipe, HKS LET-T16 exhaust, Exedy organic clutch (street use), Cr-Mo light flywheel, Raptor BOV (recirculated), deflashed valve bowls, exhaust helicoils, tower strut.

Mr.PFloyd;1342501 said:
Well this is sort of a 2 part question.
I know some people on here ditched their 1st mk3 (nick, adam, drjonez adam) for a new one. I am wondering why though? Was the car in good shape when you decided to get a new one, so you wanted a fresh start? Was the chassis not straight? Was there rust issues?
I was just looking at mine and my brothers cars and i am trying to figure out what to do with both because we both have some issue, of , you guessed it, rust.
How much is too much for a car? Wheel wells are going on both, so i am just wondering what advice/experience anyone can give me on this.
-Tom

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
Had a nice '87 n/a as my first Supra, couldn't find a good T. Fixed it all up, and was offered a good buck for it, so I sold it. Looked for a good Turbo model and found a decent '88 T with obligatory bhg, built that up and found a '90 T auto with 206 (black ruby pearl, Bhg'd, and crashed door and rocker). Swapped my '88 driveline over since it was all rebuilt and I wanted the 5-spd, and am just swapping the door, fixing the rocker and minor rust spots before I eventually do paint.