Skeptical Supra guy

blainer

Mar 31, 2008
Cowtown,AB
Hello everyone,
I've always been interested in the mkiii supras and read a little on this forum from time to time as a non member. Well lets cut to the chase in that I found a white 92 turbo supra, it has ~200km and the motor is messed.
According to the seller he said to took it to an minute lube kinda shop to get the oil replaced, but they didn't put any new oil in it. He then took it and drove a good 100km and finally stopped once the engine temp went through the roof and he heard a ticking noise. Since then the car has been sitting. I find this guys story pretty fishy cause I doubt he'd be able to make it 10km with no oil and it not blowing up. I put a working battery into the car when I looked at it and the it wouldn't fire up. I'd like someone to shed some light on if travelling the 100km is possible. The best cause scenario would be that after I check out the block and make sure that there are no big issues, I would rebuild it and make a built SP61GT monster. I am also ready to scrap the current engine and drop in a JDM after rebuilding that too.
There are also some body issues with the car, in there are some rust along the windshield and targa (see pic 1). The common wheel well rust on both sides that appear to be fixed with bondo (see pic 2) and numerous hairline swirls and cracks throughout the paint. I like solving a problem, not just temporarily fix it so I would get the whole body repainted. With all of the unknowns to the car Ill be offering the guy $1500, and he isn't aware of the rarity of the 92's hes a total domestic rules all guy (ie 2 buick 70's project cars in the driveway). Besides the point, I'd like to take on the car and really get it looking nice, but having a potential money pit also worries me. Lets hear everyone's thoughts. Yes or No to this project??

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Last edited:

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
The guy is full of shit.

No oil = rodknock, and maybe a thrown rod. This should have zero effect on EGTs.

100km on no oil? Considering that many members have spun a rod from a momentary loss of oil pressure, I'd say unlikely.

So, if we know the guy is full of shit and has no problem spewing lies, just disregard everything he says. Check everything yourself. Is it really a '92? If it has rust like that on the outside, check the spare tire well in the back.

With the good battery, did it turn over?

blainer

Mar 31, 2008
Cowtown,AB
Thanks for your reply Grimjack
I asked for a receipt of the oilchange, and that was "no can do" from him.
The entire story from him is that he got the oilchange got onto the highway with his buddy and this all happened in the middle of nowhere.
What I suspect is that the car was running fine and he decided to do a kinda top speed run or was driving the car hard and with the mileage it has, the engine finally threw him a BHG. This sounds like a more believable story, I don't know why he'd lie about it and make it sound like there's a bigger problem with the car than there actually is.

EDIT: The engine did turn over, but I still couldn't gather much. Once the car is in my possession will I be able to tell you guys "what in tar...nations!!!" is goin on with it.

To boil it all down, I don't really want to get into this car more than $5k, cause this has the potential to be a really big headache. I think with that budget I could get it running, do minor body work, and then sell it for that much or a little more.

Keep the replies coming

Last edited:

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
Welcome to SM. I am going to move this into the General MKIII section so you can hopefully get a few more responses to your questions.

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
Well if you plan on doin all the work yourselft you could easily have it done for under $5K if you were just going to flip it afterwards.
If it was a car you were lookin at keepin for like a DD or weekend warrior and you didnt want a money pit that would be a big nooooo.
So if you can put a new engine it it yourself, go for it, if you cant, you'll be in over your head

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
A full rebuild/possible replace and rebuild, with the idea of the SP61GT, along with body and paint is gonna easily get you close to 5K. I would assume the motor as a total loss, and anything you get better than that is a bonus. If the body is really bad, you can figure on a good bit to properly fix that. Also, you can't just throw on a SP61GT without the expense of supporting mods if you plan on it lasting. In my opinion, this is the wrong car for a hard $5000 budget, even if it is a 92. And, it seems to be way too much work, if you plan to just fix it up and sell it.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
opinions:
1. $1500 for a blown motor rust bucket? 92 or not that sounds a bit high and cuts deeply into your overall budget of $5000
2. If you can see rust...expect it to be 10 times worse once the whole car is revealed. Rust is like cockroaches, for every 1 you see there are 100 (or maybe 1000) in the walls. It may turn out to be minor, but at least expect the worst.
3. If the guys story seems fishy it probably is, and that means you cant trust ANYthing he tells you. Do a complete investigation of the car including a CARFAX report. If he starts putting pressure on you or the timeline for purchasing it starts to shorten, walk away.

You can always find another supra if you have your heart set on it, but as you might already know they have their share of issues. Once those issues are sorted out they are a fantastic car and one worth keeping and enjoying. If you are looking at it from an investement standpoint and just want to flip it for a profit, walk away. Finally, take the advice of the majority here on SM. The people who spend alot of time here know whats involved with this car and most have already been through it. Good luck on making the right decision.

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
If you really like Supras and are in it for the long term, perhaps it's an ok buy for about $900 - 1K (if there isn't any rust underneath). These cars need alot of tlc to be good, but once they're dialed in they can be a blast. Take that 5K budget, double it, plan to spend all your free time underneath or on top of it, and maybe it'll work out. A quick splash paint job, half-assed repairs and flip would'nt be worth it, imho. gl!

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I drove a vehicle 50 miles with no oil(I had to, leave it at that). But then again, it was a diesel. It is kind of hard to get them to stop running.

Last edited:

blainer

Mar 31, 2008
Cowtown,AB
I could see how my second post may have caused some confusion and I didn't quite get everything out.
I basically have 2 plans of action
1. Get the car running and do very minor work around the car and then flip it , find a nicer supra and then build that SP61 motor
2. Deem the car as a worth while cause and undertake it as my future SP61 car
Sorry about that, my 5k budget would just be for plan #1. I by no means would skimp on anything with what will be the SP61 car. It would be done right my budget for it would be much much higher than 5k on it

I appreciate everyone's advise and am very impressed with this forum.
-Blaine

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
$1500 is way too much for a car in that condition. i got mine over 5 years ago for $1800 with minimal rust and in running order. if you like that car and are ready for the full time job of owning a supra, then bargain him down to 750. thats more reasonable.
welcome to sm and good luck

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Here's a point nobody has made. That picture of the fenderwell rust is very teltale of where the rust came from. It likely has much more than what was shown. The car has not been protected from the harsh winter.

balong

suprastar
Mar 17, 2007
Calgary
prices down here for mk3's are ridiculous.
i've got a few guys looking at mine with bhg and wont turn over for 1500
and its an 86.5

blainer

Mar 31, 2008
Cowtown,AB
balong;982908 said:
prices down here for mk3's are ridiculous.
i've got a few guys looking at mine with bhg and wont turn over for 1500
and its an 86.5

Hey balong,
I understand ya with the prices and I think I'm gettin a somewhat decent deal on my supra since its a 92, the airbag is also a selling point too. I do lots of highway driving in the summer out to BC and hear of several people hitting deers, so I want some sort of safety other than a seat belt.
I kinda laughed when the one guy above said 900 is reasonable. Me and you we have the boom and lots of young people with ridiculous amounts of money in their hands to thank.
-blaine

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
GrimJack;982931 said:
Agreed. Prices in western Canada are way higher than average in North America.

Maybe it's cause that one supra beat that one chevelle on that show pinks. Has anyone seen that episode? I think it's on the speed channel right now. :sarcasm:don't infract me plz.

drewsh666

feeling it
Feb 12, 2008
jackson CA
i got a deal on my supra fot 500 bones the body is in great condition and only had minor problems but then agian it took me 3 years to take him down to that price started a 2k but it cranks good
one of my friends aunt has had about 2 cars now that she never changed the oil in EVER i know that u should change the oil alot but she never did and they lasted for like 250k each and too this day i still cant figure out how she did it
and by the way welcome to SM this forum has been nothing but help to me and my supra u joined a great place