Skeptical Supra guy

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
WEll then I think you should definatly go w/ plan 2 on this one. You should pick this up for less than $1K, i was gonna say $800, but someone else said $750 so why not? If he gets pissy from low ballin tell him you're gonna have to replace the motor anyways and do ALOT of body repair. AT LEAST $3000 just to get it running and in decent condition. That should convice him to lower the price to what you want, then go balls out building your SP61. Replace any rusted body panels with fiberglass where available! :D

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
body work done right is not cheap. if there is rust on the outsides of the rear quarters, chances are the rear wheel wells are rusted through. If you're lucky, the driver side floorboard won't be rusted through....see the thread in my signature - that car had 236K kms when I bought it from calgary, and hadn't seen a winter in the last 6+ years.

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
theWeezL;981693 said:
opinions:
1. $1500 for a blown motor rust bucket? 92 or not that sounds a bit high and cuts deeply into your overall budget of $5000
Yep, I got an '87 NA blown motor rust bucket for $200. It looked to be in about the same condition on the outside and when I started stripping paint I was disappointed to say the least.
theWeezL;981693 said:
2. If you can see rust...expect it to be 10 times worse once the whole car is revealed. Rust is like cockroaches, for every 1 you see there are 100 (or maybe 1000) in the walls. It may turn out to be minor, but at least expect the worst.
I can attest to this.

My suggestion would be to look further south and pay the extra money for a clean body, or try to pay ~700 for that one if you really want it. A junkyard isn't going to pay him that much, and there's not a lot of demand for rusty, non-running cars..

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
Either get him to drop the price (by a lot) or walk. Don't feel like you have to save it because it's a 1992 - 1992 is just a year

A rusty MKIII is a rusty MKIII, and certainly isn't worth $1500

blainer

Mar 31, 2008
Cowtown,AB
Well guys, I got good news, but you all won't be to happy hearing it
I'm picking up the car, I'm paying 1500
To be honest, the seller is a good guy that is also a car nut. I view 800 as a complete lowball and is unfair to him. 1200 would be a fair deal for both of us , but I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it a couple hundred bucks
This will be my car, but my Dad and brother who also has a supra will be working on this as well.
The first order of business is to get the car running
I would like to use the engine already in the car and rebuild it with some JE's, balance, blueprint, replace all the parts because they will likely need to.
My dad on the other hand is pushing to buy a JDM and drop it in since he would like to get it running atleast for by June-ish.
I view this as a basic loss of ~1500 because I just can't trust it and for see putting it in and driving 200km and boom.... a BHG.
If anyone can see some logic in my dad's idea please inform me cause I just can't see it.
Thanks
Blaine

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
I dont think anyone wants to piss on your parade, but some of us have seen our fair share of "Im gonna buy this supra and fix it up, it will be neeto bandito...", but if you have the time, money, patience, money, skills, money, knowhow...and did I mention money, you can turn ANY lump of coal into a diamond.

Dropping in a JDM replacement without going through it ANYway is a potentially expensive gamble. It may turn out to be solid, it may not, either way its a BHG in the making anyway. A low-cost stock parts rebuild of whats in there would be a good way to get a running machine and give you time to save for a bigger build, get your body work sorted out, and to be quite honest, see if you are cut out for owning a mk3.

Whatever you decide, have fun with it and welcome to the club.

SBM713

Apr 24, 2007
Georgia
like stated before man these are money pits but i had to have one now im selin mine but dads gonna have to rebuild his [metal in the oil] but they are awesome cars till they get expensive if i could go back i wouldnt have bought my 87 for 1400 i would have waited i got in to deep and lost intrest well not really just funds lol hope this doesnt happen to you

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Personally, I wouldn't look at getting it running, I'd rip into it and see how bad the rust really is.

Rust around the windshield = BAD on a targa car as the windshield is actually a stress member. Would be a safety issue in my eyes.

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
be careful with a jdm motor. often you dont know too much history about the motor. they are just pulled off a totaled car and sold as a "JDM Motor" which people consider a good investment. my motor i got 3 years ago was "remanufactured" whatever that means. about 2 years after it was installed, it started to smoke (valve seals). a few months ago one of the valves got stuck and now im in a totally new position where i have to spend even more money. your better off using a decent condition motor and have it rebuilt by a reputable machine shop so you know the quality of work going in.
a twenty year old car with that much rust is a waste of time in my opinion. ive seen too many guys try to fix these up unsuccessfully. to do it the right way costs waay too much money. your better off using that car as your parts car and get another supra with a good body.
good luck

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Poodles;984692 said:
Rust around the windshield = BAD on a targa car as the windshield is actually a stress member. Would be a safety issue in my eyes.

The steel around the windshield is extremely thick...unless it is pitted quite badly, it should be fine.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
I recall seeing someones thread on here how they fixed a badly decomposing window frame by scavaging bits from another car. Didnt look like it was any fun and not something the average joe could do.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Not saying it can't be fixed, just saying I'd see just how far the cancer has gone before I dropped a dime on the engine...