Salesman at Toyota thought my supra was a nissan.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
I guess it just goes to show the sales people don't really know anything, But I was still shocked as hell.

I went to Foothills Toyota in Burlington, WA, to pick up some parts for my MKIII and while I was there I decided to take one of the new 2010 Tundras out for a test drive. So I put the parts I picked up in my car and walk over to a group of salesmen that were standing outside watching me like vultures at feeding time. I ask them if I can take one of the Tundras for a spin. One of the sales personnel, I'd say in his early forty's, runs off to get a license plate and some keys. He them spent the next twenty minutes telling me everything I already know about the truck. It sounded memorized off a sales brochure. He was pretty determined to finish his speal, so I humored him. I then decided to ask him some questions about stuff I didn't know. The typical reply was "I don't know, but It's in this book, so give me a sec to look it up."

At this point I'm really starting to question this guy. Finally we get on the road. We do a little small talk and he asks me what kind of car I drive. Seeing as how he watched me pull up in my car, I thought this was weird. Shrugging the thought off I tell him it's a "Mark three Supra." I get a blank look in return and a reply of "oh" and we go about the rest of our drive.

As were on our way back he decides to start pushing a sale. I had been expecting this. But what he said next I was not expecting, and it through me completely off. He turn to me and asks, "So, are you planning to keep or trade in your Nissan?". I turn to him in disbelief, (I can only imagine the look on my face) and reply" huh?!? So he repeats "are you planning to keep your Nissan?" The thought to make him get out and walk the last block back to the dealership briefly crossed my mind.

My car has been mistaken for a few different cars before, but this was the first time I had heard it called a Nissan. And by a Toyota Employee no less.

I was just so surprised by the event that I decided to share it with all of you. He was a nice guy but he just didn't know his cars. It just seems to me if your going to be a salesperson for Toyota you should know your Toyota's.

willfish

been here since 2003
Apr 23, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa.
thats too F-ing funny,

did you point out at all or make a point for him to take a better look at ur ride so he could see what it really was ?

WILL

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Yeah I told him(on two different occasions), but he seemed completely disinterested in my Toyota and only wanted to talk about the features of the truck. I even made a comment at one point about how big a Toyota fan I am and I got a weird vibe from him. Almost like he didn't share my feelings about them or didn't really care either way. But I couldn't say for sure though. Everybody at that dealership was kind of strange. When ordering the parts from the parts guy I felt like I was back at Auto zone ordering from the kid behind the counter that only half knows how to use the computer. The first time I went there, to order the parts, I wanted to take a truck out. But I wandered around the lot for about 20 min. I had two different guys tell me they would go get somebody. but nobody ever came, so I figured I wasn't important enough and left.

savannahashlee

I AM A CHICK :)
Jan 15, 2008
PDX (Oregon)
Unfortunately, there are douchebags here at Toyota that are the same way...My friend wanted to buy a Yaris, so we went to Gladstone Toyota where I know one of the general sales managers. A new salesman comes out to my car, which has a big bold gold shiny toyota logo on it...He asked what we were looking for.. I said "A yellow Yaris" .. He asked me "Are you trading in the Eclipse?"...I hit blue screen.. He was standing in plain sight of seeing the toyota logo and supra on it.. Thank god my friend saw my car roll in and saw me with a complete dumbfounded look on my face.. I couldnt shake my head or anything.. I had to reboot in safe mode

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
ERA;1340301 said:
Ive gotten my car mistake for a 240sx. It was awesome.

I could live with it being called a 240, hell I've learned to keep the blood pressure low during ford probe comments. I just wasn't expecting friendly fire at a Toyota dealership. :biglaugh:

DBN

FML
Jan 22, 2009
Fairfield, Ca
Team killers... It's always the dumbass with the flamethrower. I've had someone tell me that my car sounded like a Honda... At least he didn't say it looked like one lol.

WetBoostedDreams

Supra Fanatic
Apr 4, 2007
Redmond, WA
I used to think the same thing, that Toyota salespeople should/might/would hopefully be Toyota fans to an extent. Not so. They're just salespeople, and most only sell cars because the commissions are higher than, say, selling electronics. It made me sad.

SA, you have more patience than me - if my Supra was called an Eclipse like that, ESPECIALLY if I had a MKIV, I probably would've seen red instead of blue and throttled the guy.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Funny, I always get "you know Toyota is going to bring out a new Supra, right..?" from the sales folks...

I just tell them "yeah right...oh and the Lexus LF-A is NOT a Supra"...

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Never had my car mistaken for a 240 or a Probe.

Had a guy think it was a Corvette, though. That was funny. I get what you mean by the CTRL-ALT-DEL feeling, too, I was too stunned to even consider explaining just how wrong he was.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
You really expected more? These guys are just here to sell cars and make money. Your car is 20 years old, you expect him to know wtf it is? Give me a break.

mr.b

densesmoke
Jan 23, 2009
Homeless in PR
GrimJack;1340532 said:
Never had my car mistaken for a 240 or a Probe.

Had a guy think it was a Corvette, though. That was funny. I get what you mean by the CTRL-ALT-DEL feeling, too, I was too stunned to even consider explaining just how wrong he was.

Me 2. I looked at the guy and started laughing and didn't say shit!!

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
Funny, I had the same thing happen to me at the same Stealership. The only exception was I was getting a few parts and the parts guy know and likes my car ( Supra not Solara). He brought a black hood badge out and was holding it over the stock on. At The same time some douchebag comes over looks at both of us and asks us if that was one of those "BMW 8series things". The parts guy looks over calls the guy a fucking retard and told him to read a book. I about died....Yeah I still buy parts and now I get a decent price

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
I've always liked these :) But you'd think a Toyota salesperson would be forced to learn the company's past history and models, just like we were forced to learn our country's history in school!
850_34small.jpg

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Jesus I could at least have understand if it was just because he only saw it but you told him it was a damn supra and everything. I swear a lot of the salespeople these days know so little about cars it just frigging amazes me. So they pick them because they know so little or something?

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
The dude was a salesperson, plain and simple. Why would he waste his time learinging about all of toyotas past vehicles just to impress the 1 of 10000 enthusiasts out there? I'm not sure where knowledge of a companies' complete history translates into sales of new vehicles, but hey, thats just me. 99% of the population does not give a shit about old cars.