Salesman at Toyota thought my supra was a nissan.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
adampecush;1340613 said:
The dude was a salesperson, plain and simple. Why would he waste his time learinging about all of toyotas past vehicles just to impress the 1 of 10000 enthusiasts out there? I'm not sure where knowledge of a companies' complete history translates into sales of new vehicles, but hey, thats just me. 99% of the population does not give a shit about old cars.

This...

the only guy that should care about past models is the guy working the parts counter..

mkthree92

Supramania Contributor
Jan 21, 2007
AL
I agree with that. Since they need to know just about everything anyone could ask about any current model, I can see how it would happen. Hell, the MKIIIs are at the very least 17 years old. But with some of them clearly with Toyota and Supra logos on them....:3d_frown:

I've had the exact opposite situation though. I went to the dealership here, and as soon I got out of the car a salesperson came over. He knew exactly what it was and kept offering me and asking me what it would take for me to sell. I kept telling him not for sale. :biglaugh:

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
tissimo;1340548 said:
You really expected more? These guys are just here to sell cars and make money. Your car is 20 years old, you expect him to know wtf it is? Give me a break.

I don't hold it against him, It's not like I was expecting him to be able to quote me the year, color code, and engine just by looking at my car. But it was Toyota's flagship model for many years. I would think that he would at least recognize the name, And the fact he called it a Nissan even after I said it was a Toyota means he wasn't really listening to me. Great Salesperson.:nono:

And no you can't have a break, the KitKat is mine. :evil2:

Blksupra1jzed

Nov 1, 2005
Raleigh, NC
I honestly feel to be a successful salesman you need to be able to know and understand the history of the products your selling. I found it to be extremely helpful and useful selling motorcycles. It also helps the customer trust you since you will be able to demonstrate you are not some half brained brochure reader.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
I went to my local Toyota dealership in my Supra to check out a JDM Toyota firetruck...The sales guy offered to trade me the truck for my Supra.hmm

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
What about this??
As part of a wider effort to avoid additional restrictions on exports to the US, the third generation model was briefly sold in Japan by Toyota under an agreement with GM, badged as the Toyota Cavalier. Aside from the fact that it was right hand drive, the Toyota Cavalier also featured a leather-wrapped shift knob and steering wheel, wider front fenders, amber turn signals for Japanese regulations, power folding rear mirrors, side turn signal repeater lights on the front fenders, and carpeting on the inside of the trunk lid. Interior seats were often flecked with color, and the rear seat had a fold-down armrest. The Toyota Cavalier was entirely produced by GM in the USA and sold from 1995 - 2000. 1996-2000 Toyota Cavaliers came equipped with the 2.4L LD9 engine, while the 1995 used the 2.3 liter quad 4.

While all Chevrolet-badged Cavaliers received a facelift for 2000, the Toyota did not and used the same basic design for the 2000s as it did for the 1995-1999 models. The only exception to this is the colors available, the interior trim colors and the tail-lights.

A fair number of these vehicles are re-exported as Japanese used cars, most notably to New Zealand. Production of the Toyota Cavalier ceased in June 2000.

TRD made a body kit and rear wing for the Cavalier, available exclusively in Japan.

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
Oh you mean this
Geo models were manufactured by GM in joint-ventures with Japanese import manufacturers. The Prizm was produced at the GM/Toyota joint-venture NUMMI assembly plant in Fremont, California, and the Metro and Tracker were produced at the GM/Suzuki joint-venture CAMI assembly plant in Ingersoll, Ontario. The exceptions, the Spectrum and Storm, were entirely manufactured by Isuzu in Japan. Geo Metro convertibles were built by Suzuki in Japan.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
mattsplat72;1341509 said:
What about this??
As part of a wider effort to avoid additional restrictions on exports to the US, the third generation model was briefly sold in Japan by Toyota under an agreement with GM, badged as the Toyota Cavalier. Aside from the fact that it was right hand drive, the Toyota Cavalier also featured a leather-wrapped shift knob and steering wheel, wider front fenders, amber turn signals for Japanese regulations, power folding rear mirrors, side turn signal repeater lights on the front fenders, and carpeting on the inside of the trunk lid. Interior seats were often flecked with color, and the rear seat had a fold-down armrest. The Toyota Cavalier was entirely produced by GM in the USA and sold from 1995 - 2000. 1996-2000 Toyota Cavaliers came equipped with the 2.4L LD9 engine, while the 1995 used the 2.3 liter quad 4.

While all Chevrolet-badged Cavaliers received a facelift for 2000, the Toyota did not and used the same basic design for the 2000s as it did for the 1995-1999 models. The only exception to this is the colors available, the interior trim colors and the tail-lights.

A fair number of these vehicles are re-exported as Japanese used cars, most notably to New Zealand. Production of the Toyota Cavalier ceased in June 2000.

TRD made a body kit and rear wing for the Cavalier, available exclusively in Japan.

I nabbed a picture of one of those when I was in NZ!

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
p1341527_1.jpg

yeah there is a lot of rebadging going on between the manufactures.

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
Dirgle;1340293 said:
Yeah I told him(on two different occasions), but he seemed completely disinterested in my Toyota and only wanted to talk about the features of the truck. I even made a comment at one point about how big a Toyota fan I am and I got a weird vibe from him. Almost like he didn't share my feelings about them or didn't really care either way. But I couldn't say for sure though. Everybody at that dealership was kind of strange. When ordering the parts from the parts guy I felt like I was back at Auto zone ordering from the kid behind the counter that only half knows how to use the computer. The first time I went there, to order the parts, I wanted to take a truck out. But I wandered around the lot for about 20 min. I had two different guys tell me they would go get somebody. but nobody ever came, so I figured I wasn't important enough and left.

This happens all the time at dealerships. They seem to judge you by the car you drive. Lets say you go into the dealer ship driving an Escalade. Youll have everyone trying to sell you something and theyll treat you nicely. Now you driving your supra their, its an old car. What do they think right away? "This guy wont buy anything, just a lurker".

That has happend to us, not me personally but my friend when he went to go take a look at a Camaro, the seller asked him what car he drove right away.

Im also guessing they ask what you drive in case you want to trade it in.

Not everyone has the same interests in our cars. Its just like anything...

And my supras has been mistaken by nissans too. Ive even mistaken a 240sx for a supra once. But it was really far away and I could bearely see it.