"safe" numbers for 7M-GTE internals

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
I'm well over 350 with stock Ignition and non MHG probably over 400 to tell you the truth by now. but maybe not :) either way both good engines just go for what best suits you.

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
IBoughtASupra;1802364 said:
The 1JZ or 2JZ is much more stout in stock form. He hasn't stated a power level which I asked for. I choose 400HP out of the blue. Anything higher, a MHG is need.

CPS wires will definitely need to be addressed, probably will need a rebuild. Coils are at least 20+ years old as well as the igniter. You Can argue the same thing about JZ coils BUT stock JZ Toyota replacements work fine.

Why on Earth would you buy stock 7M coils to replace the old one, just do the IS300 UPGRADE.

There is nothing wrong with the stock Toyota CPS and ignition coils for 400rwhp range. The stock ignition system is a pretty well engineered and functional system. I can think of several reasons NOT to go IS300 upgrade, and in my case, have yet to see the reason why I MUST.

My coils are ORIGINAL STOCK coils, and have served me well for a very long time. Of course, anything can go bad at any time at this point...;)

-crisp

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Lets compare this, the price to make a 7m close to 400 rwhp is about the same price to swap in a 1jz. So.. 400 rwhp vs 280ish bhp. Now to compare the 7m to the 2jz, 400 rwhp EASILY on the price to swap in a 2jz.

Sure the jz engines might seem more stout but merely the cost to swap them will reach your goal with the 7m.

Cheap? Compared to swapping in a jz
Easy? Depends on how much you know
Reliable? See above^

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Years ago when you could buy the entire front clip for relatively cheap (often with JDM aftermarket goodies on it) the 1JZ was a smart swap. Now, hell no. If you're going to swap, go 2JZ. If not, build the 7M.

Everything listed as being "bad" about 7M's are just from age, and the 1JZ's have the same exact issues plus some. How about missing components, hacked harnesses (harness has to be extended anyway), wrong oil pan, etc etc...

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
I have a non-altered 1jzgte engine+harness+ecu and other goodies in a the jz FS section for 2k. (This is not advertising)

I've been seeing them for around 2500 but no clue if the harnesses have been chopped or anything.

harley1985

Aug 17, 2011
killeen tx
IBoughtASupra;1802306 said:
Cheap: No, not really.
Easy: To get parts, okay that's true. Getting high numbers out of it is not as you will need to upgrade a lot of things. 400HP out of a 1JZ is much much easier than a 7M and its a walk in the park for a 2JZ with its increased stroke. The 7M would need things like its ignition system addressed.

i think were forgetting the cost of actually doing the swap? not to mention the 1z or 2z.... for a complete swap your looking at about ??? 4 to 5 grand? now if i dump 5 grand into a 7m? the rite way? thats money... not to mention the aftermarket support for the 7m. is that not a valid point?

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
harley1985;1802488 said:
i think were forgetting the cost of actually doing the swap? not to mention the 1z or 2z.... for a complete swap your looking at about ??? 4 to 5 grand? now if i dump 5 grand into a 7m? the rite way? thats money... not to mention the aftermarket support for the 7m. is that not a valid point?

Valid point, yes.

I support you. Go ahead and do the 7M. Create a build thread as well.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
OP wants to do a 7M. I'll just support that.

With that said, I am going to be making another thread of the proper way to rebuild/machine 7Ms and talking about write ups, I will be making a few additions to the 1JZ thread soon.

Ian, if you are reading this, be prepared for me to pick the knowledge from your brain!

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
IBoughtASupra;1802515 said:
OP wants to do a 7M. I'll just support that.

With that said, I am going to be making another thread of the proper way to rebuild/machine 7Ms and talking about write ups, I will be making a few additions to the 1JZ thread soon.

Ian, if you are reading this, be prepared for me to pick the knowledge from your brain!

Do you know of a shop around the central VA area? I can't find a tuner near me. Scott Hennessey is in richmond but each time I call, nothing. Several other shops around here only touch shit with vtec, ugh.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Not really. I have heard and see a car that was tuned by Paul Efantis in Maryland. It's not that car from you. Many people had cars tuned by him and are very happy with power and driveability, if you can get a couple people together, a lot of tuner will fly in and everyone splits the cost to get their cars tuned and hotel stay.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
This wasn't supposed to be a 7M vs JZ battle, however, certain folks can't seem to restrain themselves.

To answer the OPs actual question, we've seen very high numbers - one guy is pushing 700+ on stock internals. No clue how reliable that setup is, or how many times he's popped something though. Generally, we tend to suggest you buy forged pistons at about the 400 mark. For the difference in cost over stock pistons, I'd buy them for *any* build. It's just not a significant difference in cost, and the extra added insurance if you face detonation is worth it in my opinion.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I suggested a JZ swap in the long run as it would hold a lot more power in stock form and hold more than enough power for the street. Then 7M guys had to jump in and assume I was degrading them

If you noticed, I had asked for his:

Power Goal
Tuning Equipment
Mods Already Done

Which still has not been answered.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
p1802581_1.jpg

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
IBoughtASupra;1802546 said:
I suggested a JZ swap in the long run as it would hold a lot more power in stock form and hold more than enough power for the street. Then 7M guys had to jump in and assume I was degrading them

If you noticed, I had asked for his:

Power Goal
Tuning Equipment
Mods Already Done

Which still has not been answered.
Ever think it might be people are just getting sick of you jumping into EVERY 7M thread with your 1Jz advice.... Enough already consider this a warning next time you do it you get a week off. :nono: