Ridiculous 1000HP 7M Street MK3 Build

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
ca91mkIII;1986344 said:
Beals - the amazon tig runs on 110 and 220V. My shop is already setup on 220V for my dads miller mig machine.

I suppose so, but when I think of a welder mig or tig I think of big wire wheels not the teeny toy's you can get for little things. For small stuff they really are handy but why risk blowing breakers and halting projects when it doesn't cost much more to do it right.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Beals;1986449 said:
I suppose so, but when I think of a welder mig or tig I think of big wire wheels not the teeny toy's you can get for little things. For small stuff they really are handy but why risk blowing breakers and halting projects when it doesn't cost much more to do it right.

That's why we use 220 3-phase :D

The building actually has 256volts but has to be brought down as the machines don't like much more than 206 and it has to be a very clean signal.

You should of seen the guys face when we requested a 60kw/hr transformer for one building when the entire street was being run off a 20kw/hr transformer.

Mar 30, 2005
Florida
Unless u are welding huge steel pipes or ship hulls and truck frames 220 is more than enough for race car fab work. Havent needed more than 120 amps yet and I've gone through a few projects.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

doonsuka

May 27, 2011
AZ
NegativeGeForce;1992675 said:
Unless u are welding huge steel pipes or ship hulls and truck frames 220 is more than enough for race car fab work. Havent needed more than 120 amps yet and I've gone through a few projects.

I'm curious how you like that TIG so far? How thick of aluminum can you weld with that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 30, 2005
Florida
The tig is really nice. More than I need.

In other news - I got all my crap back from engine lab.

Here is what my $500 bought me. The race balance took out about 80% of the force generated at 9k revs.
fpjp.png

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
NegativeGeForce;1993225 said:
The tig is really nice. More than I need.

In other news - I got all my crap back from engine lab.

Here is what my $500 bought me. The race balance took out about 80% of the force generated at 9k revs.
fpjp.png

What does this mean in "layman's" terms?

Mar 30, 2005
Florida
In layman's terms - The crank is gonna twist and wobble less at high revs.

The initial spin compares the crank before doing the balance and the final spin is after they have balanced it.

The stock crank had nearly 70lb of force generated on one end of the crankshaft at 9k and there was a huge difference between the left side and right side of the crank.

After the balance the difference between the left and right sides is much much closer.

This was done to the stock full counter weighted 7M crank using much lighter forged pauter rods and JE pistons.

Mar 30, 2005
Florida
panographic feature on my camera warps the image like that...

Whats pictured so far is only about 1/3 of my stash. If I actually unboxed everything I wouldn't have space to work on the car, lol.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
NegativeGeForce;1993233 said:
In layman's terms - The crank is gonna twist and wobble less at high revs.

The initial spin compares the crank before doing the balance and the final spin is after they have balanced it.

The stock crank had nearly 70lb of force generated on one end of the crankshaft at 9k and there was a huge difference between the left side and right side of the crank.

After the balance the difference between the left and right sides is much much closer.

This was done to the stock full counter weighted 7M crank using much lighter forged pauter rods and JE pistons.

could have made it even simpler and said I got it balanced just saying lol but it's neat they gave ya a card from before and after

Mar 30, 2005
Florida
Problem is other shops and people say it doesnt need balancing cuz an inline 6 is inheritly balanced but they would be right and wrong so instead of posting hearsay and opinions I thought id explain why and post proof that shows there is a benefit in my case with lighter forged parts. I am sure with stock components the balance wouldn't be as far off but still would benefit.

I would say though for a stock rebuild the race balance is overkill when the balancing costs almost as much as stock rebuild parts. It only makes sense if your changing alot of parts around and trying to go for high revs and hp. Engine lab does offer alot cheaper basic balancing though that won't be as precise.

I'll take some close up pics of my crank but it looks almost ravaged with the amount of grinding they did on various parts of the crank to obtain the balance and they also took weight off my flex plate.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
Most shops will balance the crank it's not cheap

Most shop will have paper work if there muchine does a type out

for example this time around it's getting balanced with out the balancer and fly wheel since I may change them down the road and don't want it to effect my motor