Removing exhaust studs

Suprafast0422

Nov 14, 2006
Maryland
So in the process of doing the driftmotion upgrade, i stripped the threads on 2 of the studs with my stud remover. there not budging. any ideas?

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Drill them out. Use one of the studs that came out to measure how deep you need to go and mark your bit accordingly.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
IJ.;1297417 said:
If they're in that tight they didn't really need to be changed so it's more of a sidegrade than an upgrade ;)

My thoughts exactly!

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Its aluminum, you must be doing something wrong... But just cause they are screwed in tight/stripped doesn't mean they wont pull strait out when you go to torque them down.

tturnpaw

Supra Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2007
Everett, WA
First coat the studs around four or five times at where it meets the head with pb blaster. That stuff works wonders, as its a catalyst. Give it time to sit between each coat, and try the double nut method as its easier in a tight space with the engine in the car.

BLACKCAT

May 24, 2007
BHG
I have a similar problem with a spare head I am doing up.
One of the studs is broken inside the head.
Tried drilling it but thats useless as its hardened too much.
Went through three good quality bits & just scratched the surface.
Using a stud remover is also hopeless as you cannot get it to bite into the hard material.
The only other way I could think of is to weld another bolt to it & remove it that way, pity I dont have a welder.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
IJ.;1297854 said:
Find someone with an EDM stud remover.

is such a tool made, or is it a case of just taking the head to a machine shop with EDM capabilities?

(had some EDM stuff done for me last week here at work and damn, you can machine some pretty tiny features with it)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
A few of the better shops here have a small Sinker setup for broken bolt removal Adam not sure how common they are or the costs involved in buying one though. (always seen it as a last resort thing you know for whn you break off an extractor in an expensive part)