Rear BBK anyone?

DarkOne0

Jun 21, 2011
Houston
So I just installed the AZ Front BBK and now really interested in doing this setup. Is anybody running this setup yet? It seems like it would be a good match. How would the bias be? I don't know crap about bias and how to really set it up so I'm hoping the evo setup with my AZ kit will work well.

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
i also have the AZ 4 pot kit on the front and have all of the components for the rear kit here, just need to fit it when I get my car back. Bias will depend a lot on what pads you use and other factors (weight over rear axles for eg.). I have matched my pads front and rear and will use a proportioning valve if necessary.

DarkOne0

Jun 21, 2011
Houston
spiller;1870293 said:
i also have the AZ 4 pot kit on the front and have all of the components for the rear kit here, just need to fit it when I get my car back. Bias will depend a lot on what pads you use and other factors (weight over rear axles for eg.). I have matched my pads front and rear and will use a proportioning valve if necessary.

Are you using Wilwood pads? I didn't see any compatible pads for the evo on their website. I was thinking of getting some Hawk HPS pads for the rear. The fronts would still have the Wilwood ones included with the kit.

spiller;1870293 said:
im running mine right now(build thread posted above), my bias is all f'ed up right now though way too heave in the rear (not really a huge issue for me being that its a weekend car). im wanting to go to a nonabs system and put proportioning valves for front and rear control.

Yea I checked it out. Nice build...the calipers look nice. I want to paint mine flat black so they match my Wilwoods. Your using the Evo fronts as well though correct? I wonder how your fronts compare to the wilwood fronts... would the rears still be too heavy when using Wilwood fronts? I have no ABS by the way.

DarkOne0;1870343 said:
Yea I checked it out. Nice build...the calipers look nice. I want to paint mine flat black so they match my Wilwoods. Your using the Evo fronts as well though correct? I wonder how your fronts compare to the wilwood fronts... would the rears still be too heavy when using Wilwood fronts? I have no ABS by the way.
thanks, im not using evo fronts (kind of got to keep that on the DL for certain reasons) but its a 4pistion fixed brembo. idk how the wilwood will react but i would think something along the same lines will happen unless you put in proportioning valves.

DarkOne0

Jun 21, 2011
Houston
Ok so who has actually installed a proportioning valve on an MK3? How do you know what bias you want and how do you test it other than going somewhere and braking hard and seeing how it behaves? This seems more complicated than the actual brake upgrade. I found this link that actually has a spread sheet with some formulas:

http://sports.racer.net/brake_bias.htm

I would have thought that having the 4 pot in the front and the 2 pot in the back would be a good balance. I would assume that the fronts would still lock up way before the rears since the fronts are still much larger than the fronts.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
DarkOne0;1870510 said:
Ok so who has actually installed a proportioning valve on an MK3? How do you know what bias you want and how do you test it other than going somewhere and braking hard and seeing how it behaves? This seems more complicated than the actual brake upgrade. I found this link that actually has a spread sheet with some formulas:

http://sports.racer.net/brake_bias.htm

You don't want to the rears to lock up before the front, that's all there really is to it.

DarkOne0;1870510 said:
I would have thought that having the 4 pot in the front and the 2 pot in the back would be a good balance. I would assume that the fronts would still lock up way before the rears since the fronts are still much larger than the fronts.

Not really, as the issue is more complex than that because of weight transfer to the front during braking.

One of the main reasons ABS brakes are better than normal.

1-2clutch-u

Feb 18, 2006
chi town and ohio
ok heres the run down on what I have. I have the azp 6 piston up front and evos in the rear. car stops great! Track test will come In 1 month as bhg and the an oil leak has kept me off the track all season. Now my car is an 88 abs car (turbo) and I have a w58 with no wheel speed sensor in trans. so my abs doesn't work ever!!! with that said I have no valves or tricks. just azp bp10 brake pads (thats what they come with) and stock evos in the rear. Stock evo brakes squeak when hot. It happens check evo M for more Info. I love my set up best 2k Iv ever spent. (or till i go to Vegas) pics below.
p1870607_1.jpg

p1870607_2.jpg

p1870607_3.jpg

p1870607_4.jpg

DarkOne0

Jun 21, 2011
Houston
If anybody is interested I found the best deal on these calipers.
Amazon has the rebuilt by centric for $98 each with hardware. I have not been able to find a better deal. Sold and shipped by Amazon so if you have prime you get free 2 day shipping. Even the used ones on ebay are close to $200 each.

Just search these part numbers on Amazon:
Centric 141.46531 Rear Brake Caliper
Centric 141.46532 Rear Brake Caliper

They come unpainted which was perfect for me since I wanted to paint them black anyway.

WP_000543.jpgWP_000544.jpg

Just hurry since they only have a few in stock.

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
great find ^ ! I picked up mine locally for $90, but they were used. IF it wasnt for that, i would have deff gone with those.

DarkOne0

Jun 21, 2011
Houston
What type of machine shop are you guys using. Just came back from the place I usually go to and they said they couldn't do it. Should I be looking for something other than an automotive machine shop?

Albert

Custom CT26, CT12a, CT20 upgrades
May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Find a place that has a CNC mill. Like
A Bridgeport. Interpolate a circle using X and Y axis. Took me like 20min to do both. That's with setting it up. Stupid simple

Albert

Custom CT26, CT12a, CT20 upgrades
May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
You can even bore it on a lathe if you hold into the OD or ID of the ebrake shoe area. Again, stupid simple

DarkOne0

Jun 21, 2011
Houston
Well I got my brakes installed this weekend. The good news is when combined with my AZ Wilwoods the rears don't lock up before the fonts. The bad news is I flat spotted one of my front tires while bedding in the rears. The install was actually really easy. Everything just went together without any issues. Used my current supra Earls Stainless Steel lines. Does anybody know if the Discount Tire warranty covers flat spots? I paid the extra money for the damn protection so I would like to use it.

And now for some pictures:

Calipers painted black:
DSCN0382_small.jpg

Stock Vs. STI Rotor:
DSCN0375_small.jpg

Put together:
DSCN0399_small.jpg DSCN0404_small.jpg

Installed:
DSCN0408_small.jpg