Random Odd Shit

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
A "lasagna cell" or "lasagna battery" is accidentally produced when salty food such as lasagna is stored in a steel baking pan and is covered with aluminum foil. After a few hours the foil develops small holes where it touches the lasagna, and the food surface becomes covered with small spots composed of corroded aluminum.

This metal corrosion occurs because whenever two metal sheets composed of differing metals are placed into contact with an electrolyte, the two metals act as electrodes, and an electrolytic cell or battery is formed. In this case, the two terminals of the battery are connected together. Because the aluminum foil touches the steel, this battery is shorted out, a significant electric current appears, and rapid chemical reactions take place on the surfaces of the metal in contact with the electrolyte. In a steel/salt/aluminum battery, the aluminum is higher on the electrochemical series, so the solid aluminum turns into dissolved ions and the metal experiences galvanic corrosion.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Damn, now I know why my pasta salad went to shit. had it in a steel bowl and put aluminum foil on it and it got all fucked up... I was like o_O

SupraCorwin

Shadow
Oct 14, 2008
Washington
So if i left some lasagna out for the dog but a racoon eats it instead then crawls inbetween my aluminum radiator and the metal bracing... I'm going to have issues? :sarcasm:

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
Square holes and round holes:

Shipbuilders of the early 20th century learned a hard lesson very slowly at the start of WWI when the standard of ship building was to use small/tight radius or square corners in ship hull openings, like portholes, hatches, windows, ect. When winter came to the atlantic, a time when shipping usually slows, the war had shipping in full gear. Dozens upon dozens of ships were lost each month, leading countries to believe that the Germans had developed some kind of super weapon used on the high seas to sink merchant ships.

Eventually designers discovered how cracks propogate in metal due to the grain structure, transition tempratures, and composition. They redesigned ships with large radius corners and round hull openings which allowed the hulls to survive the abuse of the atlantic ocean in lower tempratures.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
The Paris gun was a near mythical gun built by the Krupp Corporation for the Nazi army. It's designed purpose was to fire shells at Paris from a distance of 75 miles. The gun's muzzle velocity was so high that each shot would wear the barrel substantially enough that each shell was slightly larger to accomodate, and were numbered in firing order from smallest to largest.

It fired the first manmade projectile into the stratosphere, where there is little to no air resistance, allowing it to have the rediculous range that it did.

Germany completely destroyed the gun and all plans related to it.