Project Eat My 2jz! (56K? Don't Bother.)

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
After going over the notes and jotting down a few things, i came across the ISC connection. Problem solved. This thing is a blast to drive! And then boost doesn't hit lol It starts to bog down right as boost/vacuum goes to 0

Next Step: re-gap spark plug smaller to see if that helps.

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
There were a few coolant and oil leaks, but after letting the car idle for a bit and keeping an eye on temps and fluid levels, they all seemed to stop. It appears there was some spilled fluid as well as maybe some gasket that sort of slipped into place after sitting for 6 months. The only issue now is getting it to be less rich. I'm picking up new plugs tomorrow. Apparently less than a 0.044 gap is not good for WOT lol It's not fully firing on a cylinder or two, and it stumbles, but I believe it should be fine once I replace the plugs and re-check the timing. Ruined the old plugs. Then, we shall get video!
I also got 3 tickets today! Old Inspection, Improper Equipment (died right before I got pulled), and DMV suspended my license even after I got the insurance a few days before the deadline. The officers were cool though and they will drop everything as long as I get it taken care of or have proof that I am getting it taken care of.

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
I will be getting a standalone way down the road, but for now the maf-t and safc will fit my wants and needs. If Forcefedsupra doesn't have time to help me tune it I may end up having you do it Scott. I will also be talking to Seth about hard pipes so I can get rid of some of these elbows in my design lol Also, do you have any idea what would be leaking on the intake side of the block just above the headgasket? It's not the headgasket though because the coolant is fine and so is the internal oil... I will be taking off the intake manifold once it stops raining here. I hate Va...

I am using the following:
7M Electronics:
1) Knock
2) O2
3) ECU Coolant Temp
4) CPS
5) AFM

2jz wired into 7m harness:
1) TPS
2) ISC

Nothing else is needed beyond tuning to get her running right. I will be using a maf-t blow thru system until I add a safc or have someone build a megasquirt or some similar standalone system.

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
Thanks guys! It was a long road and I almost trashed the project over the weekend, but she has prevailed. Once I fix that tiny leak and get her tuned I hope to be coming to some of the East Coast Meets. We will have to do a Richmond cruise here soon!

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
Nghty89;1295935 said:
Also, do you have any idea what would be leaking on the intake side of the block just above the headgasket? It's not the headgasket though because the coolant is fine and so is the internal oil...

Hmm, what's it leaking? air, coolant, or oil? Where is it, the front of the motor or the rear?

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
It's leaking oil from the front, directly opposite the CPS on the intake side at the front of the motor. I can't figure out exactly what it is, haven't been able to take off the intake manifold yet

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
That's what I'm thinking. Today is beautiful so I plan on fixing how my wires are run and my minor boost/vacuum leak and see how much of a difference that makes. I will also be replacing the hydraulic tensioner with a newer one from my second 2jz and see if she still skips timing.

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
Ok, so I just took off the intake manifold... Good news, it's not the head gasket. There is an oil leak coming from directly beneath and right where the upper coolant pipe is. About to drain enough so that we can get a good look at it. Still don't know why it is so rich, but the afpr stopped working. It was rich before that though... Maybe bad AFM? maybe bad plugs... who knows...

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
So I figured it out.... ::bhg:: What are the torque specs for ARP head studs in an aluminum head? Obviously 85 ft-lbs was not enough, and that's what the paper said that came with the studs. :nono:

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
I assembled it perfectly and completely to spec. I checked the torque today and it was 90 all around. The machining on the head was really nice too. It could be that something got warped in the several months I had the head and block apart and together at odd angles while I was awaiting the final process of the build. Since I am going to be pulling the head, I might as well upgrade to a thicker MHG to bring down the CR. Any suggestions? I was using a stock 2jzgte MHG from Aisin, but apparently it just wasn't thick enough.

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
Not necessarily a BHG. Too exact an idea in this case. I believe the gasket was not thick enough, therefore causing the oil and coolant to leak and mix around the #1 cylinder, but there was no leakage into the cylinder itself. It was my fault that I choose a thinner MHG and did not pay attention to the clearances I had, and my fault that I rushed in my excitement.\

Edit: We all learn from our mistakes

Last edited: