Project Eat My 2jz! (56K? Don't Bother.)

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
Here we go!

Attachments

• 0110091916.jpg
    0110091916.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 0110091916a.jpg
    0110091916a.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 0110091916b.jpg
    0110091916b.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 37

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
Eh, not yet. So ran into some complications...
1) Snapped the V-Band clamp from DM. I thought these things were suppose to keep going until the exhaust was sealed??? It wasn't even tight and was threaded properly AND I had someone hold the DP so it wouldn't put strain on it and the bolt and nut snapped in half...

2) I need to get a nut so we can weld that onto the upper oil pan and then I can put on the last half of the turbo drain line. Apparently no one carries an affordable M18X1.5 Tap and dye... There is a set, but no way I am paying $110 for something I will never use again... or rarely :nono:

3) The thermostat sold for the 2jzgte and 1jzgte is smaller than the 2jzge, so we had to use the old one once it was cleaned and tested in hot water. No big there.

4) The injectors that came with my 2jzge intake manifold are blue and top feed, but they are not as short and stubby as the 7mgte injectors so those are NOT a direct swap. Wtf? Are the injectors for the SC300 different from the MKIV Supra? It's an SC300 intake, but I figured they all had the same injectors. I can post pictures if anyone knows wtf is with these thin injectors

5) The throttle body touches the turbo, so I am ditching it for an aftermarket one that will cut down 4 inches in length once it is attached to the Y intake pipe... much easier and better than the HUGE stock hunk of junk with a HUGE and USELESS traction control system... Any ideas what should bolt up/weld up?

Things accomplished yesterday:
1) All sensors installed and ready on the motor, minus the knock sensors. Getting those back soon because I am a forgetful retard :sarcasm:

2) Motor mounts and brackets are installed and ready to go

3) Timing is perfect

4) Nice billet pulleys (WP, PS once I get it, and Alternator) are on and looking hot

neverbeencaught

Jan 1, 2009
athens, tn
www.myspace.com
By the way just a little something to make you happy. I have the knock sensors ready to ship the second I actually get your adress :burnout: So once i get that, I'll over night them to ya. Also let me check my tap and die sets. Need be if I have one, I'll ship it with the sensors so you can use it. I just would need it back eventualy,lol.

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
Nghty89;1221795 said:
Eh, not yet. So ran into some complications...
1) Snapped the V-Band clamp from DM. I thought these things were suppose to keep going until the exhaust was sealed??? It wasn't even tight and was threaded properly AND I had someone hold the DP so it wouldn't put strain on it and the bolt and nut snapped in half.

If you didnt exceed the torque rating for that size bolt/shaft then that was bad to begin with. Dont lose sleep over it.

2) I need to get a nut so we can weld that onto the upper oil pan and then I can put on the last half of the turbo drain line. Apparently no one carries an affordable M18X1.5 Tap and dye... There is a set, but no way I am paying $110 for something I will never use again... or rarely :nono:

You should be able to get a tap, and if not, you can just cut a line down the side of a steel bolt and turn it into a tap. After you drill out the aluminum pan the bolts should tap it just fine.. You will have a hard time finding an aluminum bung that your turbo oil drain line will thread into at a reasonable price.

3) The thermostat sold for the 2jzgte and 1jzgte is smaller than the 2jzge, so we had to use the old one once it was cleaned and tested in hot water. No big there.

Fair enough, but I prefer to use new parts especially when those particular parts are really cheap.

4) The injectors that came with my 2jzge intake manifold are blue and top feed, but they are not as short and stubby as the 7mgte injectors so those are NOT a direct swap. Wtf? Are the injectors for the SC300 different from the MKIV Supra? It's an SC300 intake, but I figured they all had the same injectors. I can post pictures if anyone knows wtf is with these thin injectors

I think the GE injectors are different than the GTE in shape/size... I got mine from precision turbo.

5) The throttle body touches the turbo, so I am ditching it for an aftermarket one that will cut down 4 inches in length once it is attached to the Y intake pipe... much easier and better than the HUGE stock hunk of junk with a HUGE and USELESS traction control system... Any ideas what should bolt up/weld up?

Just get a FFI

I also recommend getting a twin plate clutch. Carbonetics and RPS make good products.

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
Thank you for the words of wisdom :icon_bigg

I'm getting a new v-band, it seemed the metal was indeed faulty. It happens when you mass produce things (ie: electronics) :nono:

The nut is being welded on tomorrow so I can just screw in/out my connector that I have that came with my line kit, so that problem is solved. :icon_bigg

I will replace that thermostat with one from a parts store that is new, so no worries there. It is pretty cheap too.

I will be trying the fitment of the injectors in the other set of 2jzge runners I have. Maybe it's a different design between the VVTI and non-VVTI.

I am going with some sort of FFI system if I can find one at a reasonable price. It would be so much easier.

I think I will upgrade from the southbend stage 4 (525trq capable) once I have everything set and tuned, but it may be a while. Just so many little things that come together as one huge expense lol Especially when you want it done in a few weeks

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
OK, good news! The 440's fit the intake runners that came with the motor. The set I was trying to use before is from a newer VVT-I manifold and apparently they have different injectors. Problem Solved.

I will be ordering a Q45 TB with TPS for the intake system. Problem Solved.

V-Band coming in. Problem Solved.

Nut is being welded for my return line. Problem Solved.

I will be getting all the necessary fuel lines here in a few days and I will just need the IC piping! SO CLOSE!

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
Cold is such a deterrent for finishing car projects...

-Intercooler piping ordered
-Waiting on forcefed for the fuel lines
-Taking things to be welded and such tomorrow
-Motor may go in this weekend. It was nice and warm all this week, but now it looks like it wants to rain as soon as I want to actually do some work...

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
OK, time for an update! So Saturday I finally put everything together and went to the motor in... MID SUMP OIL PAN EPIC FAILURE!!! I was so mad I was throwing and kicking things... but not the motor or car lol I almost decided to dent it just right, but then, by a twist of fortune, I am now going to pick up Squid699's 2jzge on Saturday! It has the PS pump that I am missing, as well as the throttle body that I have been searching everywhere for. Plus, now I have parts in case *knock on wood* something goes wrong. :biglaugh:

FOR THOSE ATTEMPTING THIS SWAP -> MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A REAR SUMP! IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHICH IS WHICH, HERE IS A REFFERENCE PICTURE FOR THE REAR SUMP OIL PAN!

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89396

Attachments

• 0223091229.jpg
    0223091229.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 0223091229a.jpg
    0223091229a.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 0223091229b.jpg
    0223091229b.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 0223091230.jpg
    0223091230.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 0223091229paint.JPG
    0223091229paint.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 67

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
So now I have EVERYTHING I need to finish. Yet... somehow... from the hour that I picked up the 2jz on Saturday, it has not stopped raining or snowing... not once... some evil genius is controlling the weather to keep me from finishing my car.. I swear.

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
After several strange and really annoying set-backs... IT'S IN! The motor took 15 minutes to put in with the correct brackets. Now I just have to wire up, fire up, and enjoy! I will be putting up pictures of everything as I go through it tomorrow. Hopefully will get the shifter set-up in, the necessities bolted in, the wiring run, the charge piping run/mocked up, and test the electrical system.

Attachments

• 0321091821.jpg
    0321091821.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 41

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
Here is a question I did some research on and concluded that the flow of the 2jz heater pipes is similar to the 7m, it's just that the water pump is on the other side of the block lol Below is a picture of this. Yes.. it is ms paint... :sarcasm:

Attachments

• heaterpiperouting.JPG
    heaterpiperouting.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 25

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
I would like to add that it idles beautifully and smoothy. It sounds much better in person, and hopefully I will get better video here in a few once we have the pipes done.

Also: the oil he spoke of in the end was the feed line not being completely tight, but it was fine once I got the 12mm on it : P

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
Haha yeah I have to figure out a way to mount it. I've got a mismatched set of 7mgte wires and the fifth (and only one I need to mount it so the hood closes) is just a tad too short when the pack faces the front. do aftermarket 7mge wires work with the 7mgte coil pack? I might borrow my friends. It's enough to test it down my block for now. Just finished bolting up my homemade FMIC brackets. I will get pics in a few minutes.

PS: WTF IS WITH THIS HOLE IN THE WATER PUMP?? I dont have a single bolt that fits it and it just keeps slowly bleeding out coolant in a trickle... its like the stud for the nut is suppose to go in farther... I'll figure it out lol I have figured most everything else out so far! : p

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
It wasn't the hole, turned out to be the bypass pipe gasket, the coolant was just collecting there. So it idles high, around 2.5-3K, and there is oil mysteriously coming out from some where on the block... off to figure things out... Running really rich too.