Project Clean 87

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Wow, that's sexy! Got me thinking of a different idea for my center console once I build the new dash next winter.

Tonight I got the center console done. All I need to do now is wrap it in 3M vinyl Di-Noc and it'll be done. Pics are on my facebook page, I will post them here tomorrow.

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Ok, it's been 6 months since my last post. The Supra went to the shop in March, came home in April with the bad news of something inside the motor being broken. I'm currently waiting til October ish for my step-dad to have the time to rebuild my motor from the ground up. At the same time he will be port matching and polishing the head and upgrading the valve springs, valves, and spring retainers. Sadly she's resting on jack stands til the motor gets rebuilt, but I will start dragging it to a couple car shows in the mean time on a car trailer and pushing it into her spot.

Now for a real update, I finally got around to wrapping the center console along with the former switch panel that's to the left of the steering wheel with 3M carbon fiber anthracite vinyl wrap. It was fairly easy but I did discover the limits of how much I could contort the vinyl and ended up having to use a couple patch panels in certain areas where the bend was too much.

30kg392.jpg

4iehc0.jpg

2woxjds.jpg

i4inau.jpg

2uei2ox.jpg

141v77p.jpg

16iihol.jpg

2urruif.jpg

2h6585e.jpg

im4ihi.jpg

2udx9op.jpg

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Yeah, with the console looking like it did with aluminum and ABS panels grafted to them it can be a bit hard to visualize the final product. With the wrap it really cleans up the pieces. especially with the CF look helping to blend imperfections.

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Time to revive this thread with a fury. Supra's down til next show season, so I have a lot of work to do. First things on the agenda, AeroCatch hood pin systems and new AEM Stealth 320 LPH fuel pumps to replace the stock hood latch system and tired Walbro 255's. Hood latch system was removed last night and those parts will be on their way shortly courtesy of Sumeet aka Princess Motorsports. Corbeau GTS II's in black suede will be ordered soon enough as well along with a new digital gauge cluster. Battery will be relocated and upgrade to a Odyssey PC925 behind the passenger seat. My old no-name race seats with homemade mounting brackets are now for sale along with my PLX M-300 wideband. $200 and $250 obo for each.

Onto tonight's fun and festivities. I removed the front seats, drivers door panel, and the vertical radiator support. Since the bracket is only supporting the intercooler from the top now I trimmed off the fat and painted the bracket gunmetal grey. Using cardboard I did a rough mockup of the new door card. The panel is now screwed in propperly and I used one of my clips in the upper rear corner of the door. The power window switch was removed and the toggle left in place. The door handle had to be trimmed to be narrower so it wouldn't rub on the panel (looks better and cleaner). I still need to get some body clips and figure out how I'm going to attach the panel at the top of the door where the window goes down inside the door.

The only thing on the door once done will be the toggle switch and door handle to open the door. The power windows will be rewired with new toggle switches and hidden inside the center console with the other switches, and the door handle itself will be rebuilt with something grafted onto the stock handle so as to make it slimmer and not look odd like it currently does. Once the door card template is fully done I will duplicate it in 1/8" masonite and figure out what to cover it with. Not looking forward to building the dash from scratch since that will involve me changing the steering column and molding the dash to fit my needs.

e87bsz.jpg

rkzr0k.jpg

inbvvr.jpg

20zr1xw.jpg

2q1uipv.jpg

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Short night, only got in 2 hours on it tonight. Here's the new door handle design. 2 1/8" masonite boards will be epoxied together to make a 1/4" wide handle, then epoxied to a trimmed down factory handle and finished up with a fine tuning sanding to make it all look and flow smoothly like one piece. Finish it up with a good couple coats of durable enamel paint and it'll be done.

Taped up all the error holes to get a better template and idea. The door lock toggle will be flush with the panel so as to be barely seen. Body rivets should be here in the next day or so so I can finish securing the panel to the door at the top and work on creating my new piece of angle iron that will fit into the window track so as to secure the panel fully and make it look factory.

30wtjmf.jpg

2mo2e7r.jpg

mj4chh.jpg

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Vertical radiator support all done and installed, both door panel mock-ups done. Stock interior door handles cut and epoxied to the new handles. Lots more to do tomorrow with the handles and door panels. Anthracite carbon fiber vinyl wrap is on the way to wrap the door panels. Gonna take a couple days to finish the door handles because of curing times :(

20zoizk.jpg

35i0exl.jpg

ac8iv9.jpg

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Figured out the 2 wires I need from both doors to control the windows. Gotta trace the wires then relocate and multiply them (hooked up 1 way goes up, hooked up reverse goes down). I'll do that when I pull the dash. Got the passenger door panel 95% done. Just gotta create a top piece and epoxy and resin it into the panel. Door handles are sanded and painted with their first coat of gunmetal grey paint.

Ordered 3M 1080 series anthracite carbon fiber vinyl wrap for the door panels and a Haltech IQ3 dash mount panel so I can start to create the dash soon enough.

2ykgkec.jpg

rl03nl.jpg

osqz4l.jpg

xbg7ck.jpg

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Very long and frustrating day. Got the passenger door 90% done only to realize that I need to come up with a plan C to create my top cap for the door. Tried the hardboard, broke. Tried ABS plastic, couldn't keep a straight line and got wavey. Maybe I'll take a piece of pipe and use that, see how I like it. If not I'll have to hire a fabricator to create something. The door handles need some fiber resin and paint to be done.

On the up side I did get the dash pulled and the dash harness stripped of what's not needed anymore thanks to the new Haltech IQ3 going in shortly. I also removed the adjustment levers from the stock steering column so that it's much smaller. Pretty sure I'm stuck with the ignition in it's factory location. Already working on a new column cover that will make it look 100X better. Probably going to take it easy tomorrow and recoupe my thoughts.

2gy1qx0.jpg

j0xob9.jpg

o8xs2p.jpg

2mcbxhw.jpg

55mq1.jpg

20uaoed.jpg

2lj5mr9.jpg

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Time to revive this thread again. Picked up a new fuel system from Northwestsupra yesterday since he's parting it out. Got his Aeromotive A1000 fuel pump with a 40 and 100 micron filters, mounting bracket, gas tank with a sump in it and shutoff valve, -10 and -8 AN braided SS fuel lines, stock door panels and gauge cluster.

Also ordered a Haltech IQ3, AeroCatch flush hood pins with keyed locks. More on the way including new front seats, and a rebuilt engine. Getting oversized intake and exhaust valves and port matching and polising the head for crazy flow.