Project Clean 87

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
56K NOOO!!!
A ton of photo's on every page.

So I've decided to stop being lazy and start writing my own build thread for my 1987 Gay Blue Hardtop. I picked this car up from my buddy with a clean title N/A, local previous owners, and being only the 5th owner. This car was an automatic that came with the 3.91 LSD stock. I also picked up a set of JDM power folding mirrors and a set of JDM bubble markers with the car. On top of an uber clean set of stock grey mats and an almost flawless grey interior, including new grey leather e-brake handle cover.

I'm going to be swapping almost everything from my 90 to this 87, including the 1JZ-GTE, R154, 1-piece aluminum DS, and 91-92 turbo black 5-spokes with Hankook K106 225/50-16 tires all around. I already have installed an ACT clutch kit rated at 405 HP/ Ft. lbs. torque, Brembo drilled and slotted rotors, a 935 Motorsports 3" catless exhaust system with Megan Racing GT muffler (that has a 5" tip), cold air intake, JIC Magic front lower strut bar, reverse glow guages with brushed aluminum bezel cover and new clear guage cover, and of course a battery relocation kit.

Here's the pics of my 87 as it sits now.

I didn't swap the other pair of 5-spokes today because I am going to unbolt the subframe, motor and tranny still attached, and roll it under the 87. When I do the subframe swap, the propper wheels will be with the appropriate car. Part of my interior is in my 87, the rest of my interior as at a friends house in his 87. This means that I have a bunch of interior parts just sitting in my car, unbolted and laying where ever.

I ordered a black and blue Greddy Full Auto turbo timer and harness this week, a Megan Racing rear strut bar. I'm working on trading my mint condition 89+ clear corners for a set of pre-89 clear corners, and my new flushmount headlights are on the way (only 1 of 2 in existance). John Lozado (the guy who made my flushmounts), is the other guy. When I'm ready, I will order 4 55W H7 projector lights to use, 2 per side.

I have a lot of work to do.

Adam

Last edited:

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
I got my wheels and brakes swapped all around today. The back right caliper bolts fought me like it was cool and required a lot of penetrating lube and almost got stripped. I swapped those bolts out with the ones from my 90. Next step, swap hood struts, install fresh set of spark plugs, and figure out where I'm grounding out.

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
They don't mind you doing that stuff on base? Are you in the dorms or in housing? I can understand in the housing parking lot. I have done all mine in housing parking underneath the parking overhang.

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
I live in the barracks. I do all my work in the back of the parking lot where absolutely nobody drives or parks (I have a massive parking lot at my barracks). Technically I'm suppossed to be doing all this work at the hobby shop, but why pay when I can do it in the parking lot? Besides, I have all the tools I need.

Boris, my car sits way higher (no motor or tranny on stock suspension). Oh, and I should be putting my freshly painted JDM power folding mirrors on shortly (as soon as I get off my ass and put them back together and on the car).

I also just bought a new yellow box (tail lamp failure module) for $150 shipped new from Champion. Ouch!

I decided that I might as well swap the hood struts (no Supra stick for me :D ), I cleaned off the duct tape residue (after almost 2 years of owning the car, the duct tape residue came with the car), and I changed my spark plugs too. I feel as if I got a lot accomplished today. :D Although I had a Supra stick sitting under my car and someone stole it :(

Adam

Last edited:

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
I couldn't sleep last night, so I stripped off the masking tape and installed the passenger side power folding mirror (wiring still to come). I also installed a new 2.5 Twin Turbo badge in the grill.

Ahhh, fresh paint. I'll install the other side tomorrow night more than likely. Then it's on to my friends Eclipse (door swap, mirror install, rotor swap).

Adam

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Installed the drivers side mirror, left rear side marker, new tail light failure module, and swapped windshield wipers in the front because it didn't have any at all. Still need to get a rear windshield wiper (even though I'll never use it).

Adam

Last edited:

Kylar27

Supra Lover
Oct 2, 2005
Connecticut
Looking good man!! I am thinking about relocating my battery also, what kit did you end up going with?

One question tho, why did you buy a new tail light failure module for $150 from champion??? Thats an extra $150 that could have been used for car mods. I got a used one for $10 when I switched to a 89+ spoiler, shit I would have gave you my old yellow one for free.... it worked fine.

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Well, I got the dash support bar (raw rusty bar) bolted back in and got the rear end of my 90 up off the ground and on jack stands so I can do the driveshaft swap tonight. I also installed a fresh 100 amp and 40 amp fuse in the main fuse block on my 90 so I can fix my wiring issue (stupid grounding issue again). But I realized that without an ECU, I can't do shit to fix the problem. I also discovered that my friend took a piece off my PS pump that a hose clamps to, so I need to find that, once he tells me what the hell he took. I'll get pictures up tomorrow probably.

Adam

Tgood

All throttle no bottle
Dec 16, 2005
ennis/dfw
Nice build thread. I plan on doing somthing similar to that with my 88 na auto targa and a 88t 5 speed. Just have to figure out if I want to keep the targa or go hardtop. It looks like a great build just keep up the great work!

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Well, I need to find the little nipple that bolts onto the PS pump that the hose attaches to. I got my driveshaft taken out of my 90, but didn't get around to pulling my driveshaft and installing the 2 piece one. I installed the dash and bolted the steering column back up into place, minus the gauge cluster, I also got my fresh ECU in and discovered that I need a new battery (will get one in a day or so). No popped fuses, so I'm feeling good. The car almost cranked over, but the battery didn't have enough juice. I even tried to jump start it with my friends car, but to no avail. I'm going to get the gauge cluster installed tomorrow, and will start installing interior pieces.

Adam

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
I did a lot these last 2 days. Here's the list.

- Installed door handles/levers
- Installed guage cluster from my 90 Supra
- Installed rear storage trays
- Installed hatch struts from my 90 Supra (turbo model)
- Ripped out what's left of the car phone that used to be installed
- Soldered in a new gauge cluster clip (4 wires and 2 burned fingers)
- Removed stock driveshaft from 90 Supra
- Installed dash
- Installed spare tire cover
- Bolted up steering wheel (no more hanging down)

Here's all the pics I could get, I'll get more tomorrow.

Adam

Last edited:

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
I guess I'll have to take more pictures tomorrow since some didn't make it. Here's some current pictures. I got a set of clear corners today fresh from New Zealand and installed them. Also, here's what my doors are looking like. The pictures of my dash will be retaken tomorrow.

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
I got the seat moved (thanks to the help of 2 of my friends who held a battery in place and held the terminals in place while I hit the switch). I got the steering column controls installed, but since they are from my 90, they aren't screwed in place. This only temporary, as is my 90 steering wheel. I didn't even bother installed the air bag/center hub piece because I know I will be changing them out soon. Last thing to do, clean the engine bay while I don't have a motor in the way.