Project Cherry Upgrades

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
Since the massive bodywork and interior makeovers are now done, after this long thread:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29531

I figured I should start a new one as I progress and continue to upgrade the performance of the car.

Here's a quick rundown of the new recent mods:

Turbo upgrade with SP quick spool valve: More pics and info at the end of this thread http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86561

Installation was brutal, but WOW does this setup perform. Spool is dramatically faster than my 57 trim CT26 was, and at 15 psi I estimate it puts down 400hp or so. I raced a lighter weight BPU Mk4 with 393rwhp and we were side by side the entire way in 3rd gear from 4000-6000 rpm.

I will hit the dyno as soon as I get my AEM methanol kit installed. I'd like to run 20psi on the street for 450+hp, which will essentially be at the upper limits of my clutch, injectors, stock ECU, internals, etc! I'll be at that notorious horsepower ceiling where to get "just another 100hp" safely would cost $15K! Perhaps over the winter I will build or swap the engine, paint the bay, add standalone, etc. I just want to enjoy driving the car right now.
HTA3 041.jpg

HTA3 042.jpg

HTA3 043.jpg

Fitment with the spool valve and ETS manifold was TIGHT!! Currently the red intake pipe rests on the turbo, AND the hood is touching the pipe! (you can see the wear spot on top). I used a few heat wrap products to be cautious.
brakes 015.jpg

brakes 016.jpg

brakes 018.jpg

brakes 019.jpg

Whiteline Sway bars front and rear with BIC rear endlinks. I waited TOO long for this upgrade. The handling improvement is huge! Also running Tein Flex coilovers with EDFC controller. VERY nice suspension! It is easy to choose a stiff or cushy ride on the fly.
sway 001.jpg

sway 006.jpg

Just for interest, here is my air filter/intake underneath the headlight, with a custom rain drip shield on top to keep it dry. Also a view of the front bumper lip support that Randy at BIC built. It has saved my bumper from cracking on MANY occasions where I have scraped steep driveways, etc. This is an older pic. I have since upraded to T-bolt clamps!
sway 003.jpg

The bomex bumper air guide is super close to the intercooler! (pic complete with bugs :D)
brakes 026.jpg

sway 003.jpg

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
With the car being so much faster, I was roasting/fading the stock brakes far too easily. So I was motivated to finally install my powerslot rotors, EBC redstuff pads, with the new 13" PBR cobra front brakes and Mk4 TT rears (freshly painted black!) I was lucky to pick up one of the old JakeSpeed rear MK4 TT install kits, to make the brakes easy to bolt-on with the correct rotor shim! The kit even moves the caliper inward to reduce the pad overhang problem. (Note the metal inserts with offset holes)
brakes 045.jpg

brakes 044.jpg

brakes 049.jpg

brakes 046.jpg

The pads came with anti squeal pads on the backs, AND I used CNC brake quiet, but these damn things still squeal. I hope it goes away soon, I've already got 200+ miles on them. It's such a pain in the ass that the pads and brake goo are such a clashing bright red. I had to use BBQ paint to get them looking reasonable.
brakes 012.jpg

brakes 028.jpg

I got all this done just barely in time for the meet at Centralia Washington! Here are some show-off pics :D
brakes 060.jpg

Next to Ron Ramirez's 840rwhp 2JZ beast!
brakes 059.jpg

A gas station full of Sup's. Not a sight you see everyday!
brakes 055.jpg

At night, the car is an entirely different hot dark red color. These pics give an idea, but the color in real life is :aigo:!

Duane and I fueling up our torquey 7M's on the way down to the meet! :biglaugh:
brakes 054.jpg

brakes 052.jpg

Last edited:

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
I tell you what. this car is amazing I got the pleasure of driving around it on the way home from Centralia and saw the drop with a particular MK4. I can say I was impressed and Brad is a nice guy as well not all High and Mighty Like one would expect from a Person who owns a perfect Supra. You should hang out with the MK4 owners and Humble them some more.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
Awesome Brad! I remember all the looks from the other drivers, especially in the gas station on the way down. What kind of cars are those? Especially with your lights and fat bodied Supra. :biglaugh:

Video coming soon I think! I think I know how this little cam works now. :naughty:

Duane

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
jugodegolf;1324345 said:
nice pics and upgrades. big difference in braking?
I just did the final brake bedding tonight on my local deserted "tuning road" :) Multiple high-speed stops, and these brakes are very very good. They did begin to show some fade after 3 really hard stops, but no big deal. The rears being almost the same diameter as the fronts tend to lock up first, so it got a bit squirrelly on one particular heavy stop. I suppose I need a bias adjuster of some sort?

The brakes still feel too squishy, and I'm wondering if a leaky booster might cause that? The pedal feels hard when the car is off, and I bench bled the master cylinder prior to the rest of the lines. How can I be sure it's not air in the system?

Also the right rear is making a constant squeak squeak squeak when driving around, that is only silenced by firmly pulling the e-brake. I pulled it off and had a look but could not figure out what is rubbing.:3d_frown: Will have to pull it again tomorrow and keep digging.

mattsplat72;1324499 said:
I tell you what. this car is amazing I got the pleasure of driving around it on the way home from Centralia and saw the drop with a particular MK4. I can say I was impressed and Brad is a nice guy as well not all High and Mighty Like one would expect from a Person who owns a perfect Supra. You should hang out with the MK4 owners and Humble them some more.

Thanks Matt, it was cool to meet you and the other WA guys. Duane and I were talking about how we start out building these insane cars for ourselves, but do enjoy it when others really dig them. After a few years of endless upgrades, we end up with cars that look like they might belong to some rich cocky owners, when in reality we're just obsessed about the Mk3 and foolishly dump excessive money into them running ourselves to the ragged edge of our finances to fulfill the dream. :biglaugh:

91T breezen'

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012
Apr 4, 2005
NOYFB!
mattsplat72;1324499 said:
I'll tell you what. This car is amazing. I had the pleasure of driving around it on the way home from Centralia

Ditto Matt!!! (W/ a few edits!:icon_razz) Sadly, these great Supra "moments" never last long enough, and are too few and far between for my liking.:sadwavey: