Project Cherry Upgrades

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
I got the AEM water/methanol kit installed yesterday and did some dyno tuning today to aim for 11.5 AFR's with higher boost. On 94 octane pump gas, we got as high as 24psi and they detected light pinging around the 5000 rpm tourque peak, so we backed off the base timing 2 degrees and ended up running 22psi with 50/50 water/meth. The mustang dyno reads around 15-18% lower than a Dynojet and I did 389hp and 373tq which is around 450rwhp on a Dynojet. I then went to the track tonight and my trap speed hit 114mph (I ran really poor "unmentionable" times/ET's due to wheel spin and hop on street tires :)) Trap speed can be used to estimate rwhp pretty accurately with the conversion calculator: http://www.rpmoutlet.com/dyno.htm. My car is almost 4000lbs with me in it and the calculator estimates my rwhp to be 462 with a trap speed of 114. Over 500 crank HP on a stock 7M ;) This engine rocks!

The car is a riot to drive on the street like this! It's a whole new level of fun :D +1 for billet turbo + methanol!

The meth kit is set up on the biggest nozzle (615ml/min) and sprays progressively starting at 5psi and full spray by 12psi with no quench or engine misfire at all! This will be nice when I am dipping into 5+ psi during uphill cruising etc. when the stock ecu forces a stoich ratio of 14.7.

Last edited:

arizzle

Lov'in the boost.
Nov 1, 2006
burnaby, BC
brad car looked awsome at the track lastnight!! i saw the wheel spin but once it hooked your car was riot lol. why couldn't you guys put on duanes slicks?

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
arizzle;1337594 said:
brad car looked awsome at the track lastnight!! i saw the wheel spin but once it hooked your car was riot lol. why couldn't you guys put on duanes slicks?

They wouldn't fit because of the rear brakes he installed. :cry: I had a lot of fun last night. Nice seeing you out there with your lady Aries. :) Now get your Supra back out there!

Duane

arizzle

Lov'in the boost.
Nov 1, 2006
burnaby, BC
upgradedsupra;1337905 said:
They wouldn't fit because of the rear brakes he installed. :cry: I had a lot of fun last night. Nice seeing you out there with your lady Aries. :) Now get your Supra back out there!

Duane

man, that sucks, soo mk4 rears won't clear sawblades :aigo:, yeah man nice see you guys all there had a blast. was dissapointed i didnt get to run any car lol. but yes its time to get the supra running so we can all run friday nights!:naughty:

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
I find humor in he fact that even spending hundreds of hours of labor and thousands of dollars to make space for a huge tire our back with a widebody, you still cant get away from wheel spin. Isnt there a definition of insanity that corresponds to this happening? Maybe its in the dictionary under Supra?

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
We originally built the car around the wheels, and I bought tires that fit the wheels (295 rear). There is room for 345's out back, but I would have to have the wheels widened, since Work said they no longer make these rims/inner halves.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
On the street it's not so bad. I've limited the boost in 1st gear to 13psi, and in 2nd it slips occassionally but hooks quite well. On the track however, any wheelspin at all quickly turns into wheel hop which is very hard on the car.

Some pics of the AEM methanol kit install with 2.5 gallon Snow tank.
Dyno 029.jpg

Dyno 028.jpg

The AEM tank wouldn't fit anywhere without some serious metal cutting, and the stock washer tank was full of blue crusties and too small.
Dyno 030.jpg

The Snow tank was a PIA to install, but has enough reserve for my heavy-footed driving style, and keeps the extra weight over the rear tires where it belongs ;) Yes, the targa still fits back here!
AEM3 007.jpg

Had to run the boost signal vacuum line and fluid line through the upper fender here. Note how I was sneaky and connected the lines to the stock rear washer line to pull it through this impossible-to-reach-behind-the-dash grommet. :naughty:
Dyno 031.jpg

What's for dinner tonight? Spaghetti! :biglaugh:
Dyno 032.jpg

Two relays needed to interrupt the Apexi boost controller solenoid if problems come up: one for the AEM as it sends a ground signal, and one for the Snow SafeInjection flow meter which sends a 12V+ signal.
Dyno 033.jpg

550cc/min nozzle. I think I might add another small one later, since it runs so smoothly and was beginning to ping at 24psi, and others are running much more meth than this. It's very tempting to add one pre-turbo for huge gains in turbo efficiency and run 25 psi :evil2: But I'm not that brave yet. :sarcasm:
AEM3 002.jpg

2 LED's installed. Green for the AEM kit to let me know it's when pumping or if it is out of fluid. One red shift light I added so I know when I'm at 6000rpm since it pulls so nicely to redline now!
AEM3 009.jpg

Finally done. What a PIA but holy Sh*t what a difference between 15psi and 21psi COLD with no knock at all on 94 pump gas!
AEM3 005.jpg

Soon to install: Snow SafeInjection flow meter failsafe. If it detects too little or too much flow (clogged line, or line popped off), it will interrupt my boost controller solenoid to limit boost to 13psi wastegate spring.
The AEM unit has a similiar failsafe, and will do the same thing if it detects a short or open circuit with the water pump.
Also pictured is a new Innovate O2 sensor and HBX-1 bung extender heat sink. My WB sensor bung is mounted too close to the turbo and the sensor got toasted and threw error codes. The downpipe is too tight to relocate the bung so I will try this solution out first.
AEM3 014.jpg

Last edited:

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
^^^Forgot to snap a pic, but it's mounted upside down to the side of the battery box. So the in and out hoses are slightly below the tank's outlet.

One other benefit! I think my engine has been SUPER steam cleaned from this methanol kit. It always had trouble with cold starts, and now it starts first try super easy, and idles SMOOOOTH. And on the dyno video, there was no smoke visible at all coming out of the tailpipe at full throttle. Hopefully I can borrow NashMan's boroscope to have a peak inside the engine later on :)

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
Good news! I'm believe my water/methanol kit has effectively cleaned my cold start injector! For a very long time, the car has been a little tough to start when cold, but now it starts up perfectly. :biglaugh: I also had a peek at my throttle plate recently, and it was originally a little gummed/oily looking; now it's clean as a whistle. I imagine the pistons and valves are as well; the engine just seems to run and idle smoother now. Such a great benefit to running water/meth!

I recently got around to pulling the intercooler to clean the oil out of it, caused by the last turbo. When cruising at night when it's cool out, it seems to pull a little harder. Could be a placebo effect though. But it might not be since I'm now spinning more often during 2nd gear pulls. The tires need to be fully warm on a smooth clean road to get full traction. Any more torque than this and traction would go out the window in 2nd gear.

I think when I get the rear poly bushings installed, the traction should improve, because currently I can feel the wheels toe in under load and make the rear steer a bit. Perhaps if these 295's can put down 450+hp on the street, maybe I can put down 550 later with 345's. :)

FullNelson;1347770 said:
I looks like a blast to drive. Oddly enough it seems fairly quiet too.
The quick spool valve makes it 50% quieter while cruising. It only gets loud when it opens up at 10psi :naughty: So it is similar to running a boost activated cutout. It is actually pretty handy. I've been taking my car out at midnight for some late night fun and no one even notices as I idle out.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2003
Canada
Man, those wheels look badass Brad, what type of wheels are they anyway, the rears. :D 12.6@118 / 119!

Duane

Congrats on the 500 mark! :icon_bigg