Project 88 MKIII - A Calgary build

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
Three more months?! I guess it is betten then you driving it in winter again lol.

What is left to do? Install the trans, fab up the ic pipes and heat sheild, get the ecu installed then tuned. Anything else?

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Yeah, Reg wants to do the tune, so he is off doing fun stuff until March :)

Trans has to be installed, turbo is up, exhaust should just be simple, test pipe and mock up done. I bought a 88 engine harness to 90 ECU patch cable for the HKS Fcon Vpro harness and swapping in a 90 ECU to do idle timing and A/C function (really the only reason I am keeping the ECU in it). Taking the 88 ECU out and sell or hold in my collection of parts. Injectors are installed, may have to do some work on the fuel system depending on its flow with the current fuel line/fuel pump setup. IAT sensor, exhaust temp sensor, not sure if I will be doing a cylinder temp sensor on cyl 6.. that's up in the air.

Its very close to done, however, I don't know what parts under my hood are not new.. lol.

Considering putting in a catch can and I want to still find and install a smaller charcoal canister (will be running a filter on the hose until I find one suitable that looks okay in the engine bay.

The 4" intake > filter pipe is built already I believe and will be using the stock air intake box.

I gotta pop my driver side wheel off and get it straightened. Noticed a slight "wobble" on the dyno last time. I picked up another grey interior, so I can do the leather prior to installing everything, but I want to do a paint respray on the front half of the car and 3M tape the bumper in certain areas. Im guessing if all goes well the car will be "show quality" in about 2 years. Im still planning on heading up to SILV this year though.. even if the interior isn't in it.

And the definite plus is that it sits in a heated shop the entire winter.. lol. RCTS just take their time on the work because I am in absolutely no rush and it gives me time to consider everything and question optional improvements vs cost. They take care of it well for me.

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
looks really good man. That turbo is going to be fun :naughty: Good luck with everything over the winter. Hope it all goes smoothly for ya. Should be very worth the wait after your tune and taking it for the first drive.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Im actually a little bit scared.. lol. My wheels are not currently setup for an over 300 rwhp build (just Yokohama 10" on the rears). 300 would kick the bottom out in 3rd if I wasn't careful with the 57 trim, so I can imagine that they wont hold well at 400+. I do have a second set of wheels to pick up that will be stickier for that though. 275's in the rear as opposed to the current 255's. Will all depend on how well they fit really, because I don't want to roll/pull my quarters.

You cant tell by the photos above, but the powder coating is more metallic and slightly darker than the car itself. The intake and valve covers look pretty awesome in real life.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Just got word.. Jack Transmission has shipped my R154 home (along with 2 V160's accompanying it). Because it took a bit long, they ended up doing a Stage 3 build on it for the price of the Stage 2. Gotta love that.

I asked them to note condition of the transmission to see if the money was worth it (and it was... ). They said that the gears themselves were solid, but the synchro's were all shot. Not just 1-2-3, but all gears. I knew the previous owner was fairly hard on it, but I didn't think all the synchros were going to be shot like that.

Its on its way home, so they are now wiring in the Vpro and will finish the exhaust once the trans is back in the car. Color me excited to see the R154 when it arrives... I want to see how good of a job they did.

This is the build if your curious.. http://www.jackstransmissions.com/collections/supra-v160-rebuild-options/products/stage-3-supra-r154

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Im guessing that this R154 will outlive the car.. lol. Its the original transmission and this is the first time its been opened up. 200,000 km since 1988.
I don't think I will put that type of mileage on it seeing as I am lucky to do 5000 km in a year.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
ITS ALIVE!!

lol... I heard my engine purr... first time in almost a year. HKS Fcon Vpro just has my motor running super smooth right now.

Waiting on intake pipe weld and then its tune and dyno... soooooo close!

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Grandavi;1994932 said:
ITS ALIVE!!

lol... I heard my engine purr... first time in almost a year. HKS Fcon Vpro just has my motor running super smooth right now.

Waiting on intake pipe weld and then its tune and dyno... soooooo close!

Very nice, just in time for the spring and summer!