Project 88 MKIII - A Calgary build

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Yes, talking to RCTS regarding this and basically because a. I am driving on city streets only and b. I want the engine to last, that going any higher is where the risk starts coming in. I asked for as much power as I could get safely.
They are fairly certain we could squeeze over 520 rwhp out of it, but then the life of the engine could be drastically shorter because I would be over reaching the current setup for spark and timing plus the ability to handle anything "odd" could kill the engine quickly.

So, we agreed, this would be a nice safe and fun power range. The dyno boost is actually approximately 2 lbs higher than actual according to them.

Quote: "Supra is mean, your going to need tires for it. At mid boost thats 475 HP at the flywheel, and 409 at low boost!"

I have to actually confirm that I understood the "14 is actually 12". I may have misunderstood it. Picking up the car in 1/2 hour. Gotta get some nice 275 Nitto's on the rear....

din904

Oct 25, 2010
Jacksonvile,FL.
Nice but the turbo really doesn't wake up till about 18 psi I'm running between 18 to 21 psi on 93 octane making roughly 500rwhp on 6265 dbb turbo for about 5 years.
I mostly run 18 psi but on cooler days I'll push 21 psi that's on a stock long block. You having forged internals and mls gasket 18 psi would be a real safe number providing your tuner is good at what he does. I would at least tune it to 18 psi and then you can turn it down and at least have the option to run higher boost when needed.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Those are great numbers, and I'm sure it's worth it to sacrifice a little power for the longevity of the engine. What's next for the Supra? Just drive it and enjoy it for a while?

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Next is wheels that can hold the power, a new diff, and interior. (Leather)

We want to run the engine at this power level until next year, see how well it holds up and get me used to the power. It's not the same as what I'm used to, scary things happen when your breaking traction under boost in third.

Next summer we will recheck the tune and up the boost. Bottom line is that there is no reason to go higher yet and a lot of reasons to leave it capped. Eventually I may get into the 1/4 mile scene and then the game changes. I would go for higher power and run race gas for that... But so many things (like roll cage) to consider if I go to 500+ which the car is capable of. Right now it's a very fun pull, but on city streets/highways I can't wind it out. The additional power has pointed out some issues, like my steering is not tight enough for 100+ mph (I've been up to 190 kph which I think is 110 mph and I still had more to go, but pulled back). Plus I have stock brakes (Brembo rotors, stock calipers)

Talking about these high hp builds is different than actually owning/driving them I'm finding. Pushing the car above 400 to 500 shouldn't be too risky, but I think (by my calculations) that I'm at 475 HP at the flywheel. I think my build is only safe for somewhere near 700 at the flywheel... I don't want to run it full out.

I decided long ago that my car was going to be for street and not be a dyno queen. This summer will tell if I want to go higher or not. Good to go slowly and fix the gremlins first.

Ultimately I want to be set up for 19 psi max boost. 21 is doable, but I think I would go sequential with a COP upgrade for that. Plus I have access to 94 octane but that's not a reliable number. Slow and sure...

din904

Oct 25, 2010
Jacksonvile,FL.
Looks like you have a good plan in mind I can appreciate that. As for your traction issues buy some r888 and align your rear camber to zero you will not a have a problem with traction at that power level even in first gear. Enjoy driving your car it doesn't take long before you want more power.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Well... retrofit for the A/C done. Thanks to a poor purchase of a "rebuilt" used compressor (filthy and they wouldn't touch it at the shop) I had to get a full retrofit kit (which apparently includes a new(or reconditioned) compressor). Everything done and it blows cold, no leaks detected.... one more check mark off the list of "to-do"s.

Steering next... sigh...

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Yep... I think it say without freon in it since 2002. Pretty well everything is new now. The compressor is definitely new. Had I known that I wasn't able to use my used compressor, I would have been a bit more prepared.

The AC system isn't really that difficult to do yourself, but the potential for disaster if you don't know what your doing (I don't) can be up there abit. I try to avoid doing anything with high pressure... Lol. Im accident prone when I hold a wrench

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Update...

My daughter gave me a new grandson on Sept 29, so I went up to visit her.

Rebuilt r154 still had the pop out issue, and when I arrived (it's a 550 km trip one way) my trans made a sound like the release bearing was rattling that disappeared when I put the clutch in.

After sitting for 2 days, I go to start up and begin the drive home. No odd sound.

During the drive home, I have to downshift from fifth to fourth and it felt like the fork was being pressed as I went into gear. Tried it again... Felt normal... Getting a little concerned... Still 3 hours from home.

Go to pass someone and them I get a loud "boom" and a black puff (cloud) of smoke comes out of the back end. Engine is dead.. So I put in the clutch to coast and not kill myself or everyone else... And realise I can't shift... Period. It's froze in fifth, but there's no gear there...

Restart the engine to give me back steering/brakes and coast to a stop on the shoulder. Engine seems fine, nothing that I can detect wrong so I think the trans locked up and stopped the engine crating back pressure which caused the boom. Trans is pretty well useless at this point... Towed 248 km home... (Not a cheap option)

Now I wait on Jack Transmission to send me the replacement that I have been waiting on.

Kinda scary... Luckily I don't panic behind the wheel...

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
That's not good... Hopefully no damage was caused to the engine, and it was only the transmission. I know you have a lot of work in that engine.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Running the engine with the clutch in, it all seems normal. I Think because I was accelerating to pass and then the trans just stopped the engine which can't be good, but that seems to have not done any damage... So far as I can tell.

Will have it looked at when the trans gets r&r'd

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Car's running properly... the rad cap was letting coolant out.. put a new one on, so all should be good now. Only drove it for 30'ish minutes since new R154 installed and speedo gear corrected. New center support bearing feels nice (driveshaft). I forget sometimes how much this puppy can pull on the highway!

Snow is on the ground.. no chance to really test it out to see if all is good.

Putting this here just for safe keeping... (Trans build for my records)

88Supra_R154_Rebuilda.jpg

(for full size version, click below and view zoomed up at 700% - sharp and clean at this size)

http://www.gdscentral.net/1988_MK3_R154_Built/88Supra_R154_Rebuild.jpg

Attachments

• 88Supra_R154_Rebuilda.jpg
    88Supra_R154_Rebuilda.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 7

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
Little bit jealous of your tranny,

I'll be checking back for an after break-in review...

Go now.... enjoy...

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
atmperformance;2029485 said:
Oh cool they do still rebuild them. my trans doesn't pop out of gear but i want to do the rebuild for the wash and synchros

I think that they stopped rebuilding them due to parts availability. That was them confirming my trans is a stage 3, I just made it into a page for my records.