Project 88 MKIII - A Calgary build

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Tomorrow a.m. Is dyno ad start of tune. Will need a second tune in July, but the base map will be built (doesn't exist for fcon on the 7m.

So if you feel the ground shake... It might just be the Supra... Lol

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Because there is no 7MGTE base map for the Vpro, it has to built from scratch. I doubt I will get a proper dyno until Friday afternoon. Im excited though because it means I will have my car next week.. gotta clean the garage! :)

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
No videos yet. Just an update.

I have the car, and have taken it out a couple times so far. Shifting the new R154 was incredibly difficult, but is smoothing out right now. Using Nashman V2.0 shifter, had it too short, pulled the rod up a bit so I had some leverage to shift properly. My only complaint is something is popping 5th out when Im cruising (rev matched). It just slides out of gear. There seems to be something almost like "spring" pressure pushing it forward... have to look at that later.

I do have to say, the car is a lot more powerful than before. I don't really even need to boost it in town for the most part as the power is just there. The NA side of the engine is really well tuned so its got a whole lot of spunk!

Currently only setup for 10 psi max and I have wound it out twice (once with my wife saying "wtf are you doing, Im holding a hot coffee?!" whoops) and it isn't like the CT26. No kick in the pants wheel ripping power.. just a nice very strong power pull. I hit 130 kph far too soon and am not ready for anything stupid, so I have no idea what the car really does yet. It is definitely more powerful than it was and handles speed better than it used to. Cruising at 110 kph (almost 70 mph) is almost like idling (not RPM.. just car feel).

Reintegrating the wastegate dump tube prior to final tune. Sounds like a tractor when it opens up... not cute at all.... plus I have only heard my BOV twice... nice Whhhhissshhhhh sound. Not sure if I should be able to turn the BOV by hand on the pipe... but I can...

Final tune May 29th. Dyno sheet to follow. So far I think the time/$$ was well spent. This is the only 7M Supra on a HKS Fcon Vpro 3.3. From what I feel driving and the numbers I have seen so far... this is the one upgrade for a 7M that is very much worth it. Amazing how smooth this engine is now.

FernandoDLT

Apr 13, 2007
Texas
Just read through your whole build. I love the progress you've made so far! I hope everything turns out fine with the trans as I have one coming in soon too. Good luck on the tune!

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Car is FINALLY in for final tune...strapped to the dyno for a Monday tune so should have a dyno sheet soon.

On a DIFFERENT note... Jack Transmission rebuilt my transmission and it's worse than prior to sending it. Plus it falls out of fifth gear.

That's not the kicker... This is...

After talking to jack about it, his response?
"Sounds like something we did isn't quite right. Have your shop remove it and ship it to is at OUR expense and bill us for removal and reinstall. We will get it right."

Now... What company have you dealt with on the past 10 years with that attitude? No blaming me... No questioning my mechanic... No argument about dollar figures.

Just had to share that.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Grandavi;2009528 said:
Car is FINALLY in for final tune...strapped to the dyno for a Monday tune so should have a dyno sheet soon.

On a DIFFERENT note... Jack Transmission rebuilt my transmission and it's worse than prior to sending it. Plus it falls out of fifth gear.

That's not the kicker... This is...

After talking to jack about it, his response?
"Sounds like something we did isn't quite right. Have your shop remove it and ship it to is at OUR expense and bill us for removal and reinstall. We will get it right."

Now... What company have you dealt with on the past 10 years with that attitude? No blaming me... No questioning my mechanic... No argument about dollar figures.

Just had to share that.

That's good to hear that they stand behind their work. It's always nice when a company stands behind their faults rather than blaming it on other people. If only all companies were like that.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Yeah, initially I was thinking, "excellent... Another botched part... How much is this going to cost me?". So the response was very appreciated. No dickering, I didn't ask for anything. Just told him what the problem was and it's a done deal. All my other issues have cost me at least 2000+, with a whole lot of arguing.

So refreshing to know there are still reputable dealers you don't have to worry about.

FernandoDLT

Apr 13, 2007
Texas
I just got mine back from them. I wont have it installed for another few weeks but their response makes me feel more at ease.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Final tune done... got my "safe" tune. Any higher and I risk problems. Happy with this power level. Definitely have to get new rubber though as my Yokohama's don't hold well enough.

We could go higher, but on 91 Octane (which is arguably 91, could be lower) if I run with higher boost I start getting up into the "questionable" area where spark/timing can become dangerous. I want the engine to last forever (and its not on a track) so this power level will suffice. :)

Grant low mid boost.jpg

I also did not get there in time for the dyno/tune so missed getting a video...

I am seriously considering tossing a QSV on the car just to move that ramp closer to 3000...

As well, Reg wants me to try the stock shifter on the transmission prior to pulling it just because he thinks its the Nashman V.2 shifter causing the "notchy" feel, etc..
If the stock shifter works, then I will try the C's shifter...