Project 88 MKIII - A Calgary build

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
I really enjoy reading this build, I thought about going this route until I seen how much it's costed you.. and I think I'd buy myself a maserati gran sport before this =p but I agree the intercooler's off DM should come with an instruction manual. I bought mine for a jdm 1jz and for some reason i don't think its compatible for rhd's. I already scuffed the shit out of the piping tryign to make it fit and having an aftermarket rad and electric fans made it a tight squeeze but the stock IC piping fit so Idk. But from what I seen it's not bolt-on kit looks like I have to grind the hole under my headlight bigger and cut up my shiny aluminum hard pipes I already half scuffed to shit to make it fit whatsoever. I knew it was gunna be difficult but I've spent more time trying to plumb it in then it took me to replace my stock twins with "Albert's steel upgrades" and put on tein coilovers. Which is quite ridiculous bc that was easily 15 hours.

oh almost forgot wheres a good place to get your a/c recharged? and you wouldn't wanna sell a 89+ front lip spoiler to a hurting albertan in need would ya =)

Last edited:

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The money is a bit excessive, mainly because I have done none of the work myself.

But when sppread out over 5-10 years it won't be bad plus I would rather have my beast than a newer one. Plus the insurance is under 10 bucks a month...which helps ease the blow. I just remind myself that people are dumping up to 700 a month in a new car payment with insurance and I feel better.., lol

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Just adding photos of the Stand Alone (HKS Fcon Vpro 3.3)
Not sure if my car (Oct 87 MK3... 1988 Supra) has a grey or yellow plug on the ECU.. have to peek...

anyway... HKS's "one-off" 7MGTE system... photos

IMG_0465a.jpgIMG_0467a.jpgIMG_0469a.jpgIMG_0470a.jpg

And how my bov is setup currently... (turned 90 degrees.. very short pipe to recirculate it). Only bad thing is, it taps the bottom of the hood (no damage other than a tiny hole in the lining)

Will be turning 90 deg after I get the standalone setup in July or August.

IMG_0464a.jpg

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Yeah, Im about 8 blocks up from the end of Southland drive where its basically a lake now where the river was. Amazing amount of water in this city... never would have imagined this happening actually. Overall, other than the lives lost in High River because I think they were caught with about 15 minutes evacuation time, people got out unscathed and my family members that were evacuated were done so more for the fact they would have no services to their house and the potential of flood more than their houses being affected. All is good, but the heart of the city is pretty well stopped now as we await the water to recede and the clean up which will be massive. I can't even imagine the cost this will be... guessing its going to be close to a billion if not more province-wide.

One of those things you don't expect and I will probably not see this again in my lifetime. It was the "perfect storm" situation... with all the worst possible case scenarios unfolding. All the family is well though, thank you!

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Hey man- I was wondering, do you have any other pics of your intercooler mounting?
I was wondering where you placed your brackets. I see the one on top in the center, but was wanting to know where else it's being supported.
Thanks much.

ps- Any pics of your manifold or turbo install yet?

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Car is in... Almost 2 months now in shop.
Because the T4 turbo is bigger we had little issues and decisions to make. Decided to go with a turbo blanket. Not sure if this is a wise move but I'm guessing the heat factor will be worse than a ct26... Also building a heat sheild for the AC lines and switches I have near that area... Just to be safe.

Charcoal canister is temp deleted until I find a tiny solution.

Decided to bite the bullet and go with 1000 cc injector dynamic injectors to compliment the FCON VPRO.

Can't think of any more improvements other than going with a FFIM and I don't think I will walk that path.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Actually not much. The totalled 87 will be providing most initial parts for the touch ups. The rest is figuring out what the hell is under the hood.., lol. This car is going to my son once it passes my checklists. He's fairly responsible so I'm not too worried about him going nuts with it. I think he's happy because this one is a targa whereas the 87 was the hardtop. 19 years old with a convertible... Living the dream... Lol

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Well, update...
Car still sitting at RCTS with tranny pulled and sent out for a rebuild at Jack Transmission. stage 2 build so I will have nice shifts finally...
Sent valve covers and intake manifold and plenum out for powder coat. Matching the exterior paint. Magnetic metallic grey.

Another summer gone without being able to drive the beast. Planning on SILV next summer.