Project 88 MKIII - A Calgary build

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Thanks! and Happy New Year to you.

damn its hard when you see the engine in the car and have to wait for the little things (plus the tune) before you can see if it was money well-spent... sigh...

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Car's home... break-in time.

Running just stock boost with all the upgrades, I have to say that I am very impressed with the 57 trim as it sits along with all the other little goodies. I got my Nashman shortshifter on and that is one excellent little shifter. My throws are like non-existant now and fist to second is smooth again (I had to fight before). That may be because of the new clutch which is so totally different than the stock was (which may have been wearing out before).

Its still winter, but I had a dry highway so I took it for a burn just to see what the hell I spent money on. Not holding to any constant RPM's or heavy boosting, but doing a lot of shifting up and down to keep the engine revs changing. I'm not sure, but it seems like my speeds are different now. Like 3rd gear will punch out above 150 kph if I let it and still isn't red lining. I wanted to take it close to red line, but I can't find a roadway to do it on yet unless I want to over rev in second (which I dont). Plus, 18 inch wheels are not what you want for a peppy start. The Yokohama's (about 1500 km on them) dont hook very well although.. they are summers and the roads are cold (albeit dry).

The interior definitely has to be done soon, and I turned my HSD's to a couple steps softer so I dont keep banging my head on the roof.. lol. But... oh what a feeling.

Hated spending the cash so frivolously, but in the end, I am a happy camper. These cars are rockets with BPU's... scared of what it will be like next week when we actually make the boost controller do its stuff and get off of stock boost. No idea why anyone would want a 500 HP MK3 on the road.. whatever I am pushing on a stock boost with the 57Trim sure has a nice pull.

The only thing I may end up doing is heat wrapping the intake pipe that runs to the 3000 pipe. Mine is 2.5" now (and a hardpipe... thanks to the boys for fabbing me one and polishing it) running on a HKS 3000 pipe, but it feels like the pipe gets hot sitting above the turbo like that. Not sure how much it affects the intake charge, but I may opt for heat wrapping it because I never noticed the heat on the plastic before. Not too worried about sacrificing the bling.

Looking over the engine bay, I dont know if they left an old hose on there at all, certainly cant see any...

should mention, I dont think my wife will ever drive in the car with me again.. lol. She used to complain I was trying to snap her neck when it was stock... and I wasnt really driving hard. Now with the extra kick the motor gives along with the HSD coilovers robbing that comfort bounce.. pretty sure she is going to hate my car more.. :)

Last edited:

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I'll post up the paint label in a little bit. It is a Toyota paint color but not quite stock for the Supra. Close, but has a red flip and far more metallic than original grey.

IMG_0158a.jpg

I figure thats the best way to show the color code.. lol.

Last edited:

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Its just a rare part really. 2.5" as opposed to the 2.25". Hoping to keep it when I go with a new intercooler and hardpipes. The only hardpipe on this right now is the intake pipe to the HKS. It has a Silicone hose going from 2.5 to 2.25 to meet up to the rest of the intercooler. I intend to keep the pipes, but replace all the stock rubber.
Keep in mind, my car is not being built to be on a track doing quartermile runs. Its just me.. building "my" car.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
lol, the 3000 pipe is quite common (and restrictive). The HKS pipes aren't for sale anywhere anymore, hence.. rare.

On a different note, broke in the engine all day. 600 km of driving, downtown, around town and highways. Good sunny day, low traffic and no sitting behind any trucks without mudflaps. Was a fun ride, but it took me a few hours to get used to the coilovers. Seeing as they are newer, they are also as stiff as they will ever be. I have them set to 7/16 on all 4 corners and its livable. After they wear in again, I may make them stiffer, but for now, I like my kidneys where they are.

Have to say... different car with the upgrades. Mega-fun. Things I noticed, with no boost controller involvement, I max out at 11 psi off the 57Trim wastegate. No fuel cut issues at all. Also, at WOT 150 kph, my wideband reads 10.0 (which I think is as low as it goes). Otherwise, it generally sits at 14.3 - 15.3 through all its running.

Very solid pull, but I have to get used to the stiffness of the car now, it wants to break loose at 2nd gear if I give it a little too much gas. The Spec2+ Clutch holds well, no shudder at all. And the Brembo rotors do actually make a difference in stopping (at least having totally new brakes (pads and rotors) with the SS lines and a newly flushed system work flawlessly. Had to hit the binders because the guy in front of me didn't want to drive thru the person do 1/2 speed limit and the car stopped effortlessly, no pulling, no shudder. Happy with that.

Tomorrow is dyno, final fine tuning day. After that, I have to pay off this last upgrade batch and start on the interior and tinting the windows. (gotta hand it to my wife, she sat with me thru a varied speed highway run for 1.5 hours as I went through 3-4-5-4-3 and over a lot of bumps that weren't easy.. :) )

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Not done with it, but this is where it sits today. Still more to do.
If I could get it from running so damn rich, could squeeze a lot more power out of it. Also having a problem setting up the EVC-S boost controller because I left the manual in my garage.. lol.
So, its a basic setup with just wastegate pressure, 10 psi (A setting) and 14 psi (B setting). Haven't adjusted anything except boost pressure.

Its damn fast on the road.. but I am not quite happy yet.

Dyno1_88Supra021313.jpg

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Grandavi;1914297 said:
Not done with it, but this is where it sits today. Still more to do.
If I could get it from running so damn rich, could squeeze a lot more power out of it. Also having a problem setting up the EVC-S boost controller because I left the manual in my garage.. lol.
So, its a basic setup with just wastegate pressure, 10 psi (A setting) and 14 psi (B setting). Haven't adjusted anything except boost pressure.

Its damn fast on the road.. but I am not quite happy yet.

Dyno1_88Supra021313.jpg

Solid numbers. Your boost on the high run was really only like 11-12 with a spike up to 14psi. In the controller there should be a setting to help that. On my Greddy it's called gain. That will help keep that hi setting more stable. That appears to be a big part of why your power was so low compared to the torque.

That's definitely a great example of why a better tune is desirable. Toyota played it really, really safe so there's plenty of room to lean it out a bit and get much more power while staying safe. :) I'm surprised yours got so low though. I rarely see my AFR's below 10. :dunno:

Thanks for sharing and keep up the progress pics! ;)