Oil pump drive sprocket differences

Suprafast0422

Nov 14, 2006
Maryland
So as i was assembling my motor last night i realized i had 2 very different oil pump drive sprockets. They had different offsets, and one had circles drilled around it, whereas the other one had trapazoid looking shapes on it(i dunnop if thats right... it was like a triangle with a flat top.) Anyway, just thought id post this up as id never heard of these being different before. Also, the one came from a 89 USDM GTE, the other from my JDM gte, of unknown year, but it had the circle style motor mounts.

Suprafast0422

Nov 14, 2006
Maryland
Ill get a pic of the actual one tonight in my garage, but you notice in this picture the sprocket has the triangle like shapes cutout of it, well the one i have has circles cutout, and it looks like they sit a different distance away from the front of the timing cover, and one is heavier.

edit: this is not my motor btw, i just googled 7mgte and found this one.

IM001569.JPG

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
Okay, I read your post a few times and have no clue what you want to know, but here's what I can tell you. The top two gears are your cam gears. The one next to your water pump is the timing belt tensioner. The one attached to the crank is your timing gear, and the one on the lower right drives the oil pump drive shaft.

Hope that helps any

loki2043

Jan 23, 2006
Portland, OR
i think he means the holes in the gear. like a rim. say like a 5 spoke rim. there is space between the spokes? i would not worry about the gear if that is the only difference. it is not going to affect anything. unless of course other things are different.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Hes talking about the shapes cut out on the oil pump driveshaft gear. In other words the gear in the picture has rounded triangle shapes cut out. On his other gear he has circles cut out between (like a Phone Dial)

Suprafast0422

Nov 14, 2006
Maryland
JDMMA70;1273721 said:
Hes talking about the shapes cut out on the oil pump driveshaft gear. In other words the gear in the picture has rounded triangle shapes cut out. On his other gear he has circles cut out between (like a Phone Dial)

Yea thats what i was getting at. Sorry for the confusing post. When i put them side by side they looked like they were different in how each stood out away from the timing cover. anyway, heres a pic.

Attachments

• GetAttachment.jpg
    GetAttachment.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 34

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I wouldn't be surprised to see a post in here say that it was some kind of super rare HKS part that they only made 5 of, and sold only one of those, so they quit making them. It's got to be worth $800 or so.lol

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
I'd have gone with the circular hole'd one. Looks much stronger.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
gofastgeorge;1275467 said:
Does it have the same number of teeth?

At the same diameter? A bit smaller diameter would spin the pump shaft faster...a bit more pressure for a given RPM.

And, does it fit the pump shaft with no problem?