Official emanage ultimate thread

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
Information and FAQ Regarding Emanage Ultimate

Injector lag time reference sheet : http://injector-rehab.com/kbse/lag.htm

Installation Notes:

If you have trouble with the car running rich while the water temp input is connected, change the jumper to "open", even though the manual says not to. That may fix the issue.

7MGE: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1422203#post1422203

Timing Control - works
Injector Control - untested

7MGTE:

Timing Control - can't retard more than 5 degrees.
Injector Control - no issues found in limited use

1JZGTE:

Wiring:

Taps:

Color - Purpose
Red Power 12V
Black Ground
Grey Throttle Position
Brown RPM signal
Light Blue Idle Control Valve
Blue/yellow Water Temperature
Purple/yellow Knock Sensor
Black/red Sensor/injector ground
Grey/white Crank Angle (Reference)
Grey/black Cam Angle (Position)

Splice:

Green Airflow (EMU to ECU) (MAF or MAP)
White Airflow (Sensor to EMU) (MAF or MAP)
Blue/red Injector 1 (ECU to EMU)
Blue/grey Injector 1 (EMU to injector)
Orange/red Injector 2 (ECU to EMU)
Orange/grey Injector 2 (EMU to injector)
Yellow/red Injector 3 (ECU to EMU)
Yellow/grey Injector 3 (EMU to injector)
Purple/red Injector 4 (ECU to EMU)
Purple/grey Injector 4 (EMU to injector)
Blue/white Ignition 1 (ECU to EMU)
Blue/black Ignition 1 (EMU to coil/distrib.)
Orange/white Ignition 2 (ECU to EMU)
Orange/black Ignition 2 (EMU to coil/distrib.)
Yellow/white Ignition 3 (ECU to EMU)
Yellow/black Ignition 3 (EMU to coil/distrib.)
Purple/white Ignition 4 (ECU to EMU)
Purple/black Ignition 4 (EMU to coil/distrib.)
Brown/yellow Speed (EMU to ECU)
Light Blue/yellow Speed (Sensor to EMU)
White/red NVCS (OPTIONAL)

Last edited:

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
Features:

AFM delete

AFM delete will let you log the AFM behavior vs a map sensor, maf, or throttle position. Once logged, you can paste these figures into the airflow output map.

Since it is universal, you can use any MAF, map sensor, or AFM you can find. This requires fine tuning of course. 7MGTE would be easy, you could use the factory boost sensor for speed density, but it will not show boost. If you use a factory sensor like a 1JZ, 2JZGTE, etc, it will show correct boost readings without having to buy anything else.

You then have to add your own temp sensor to satisfy the ECU, simliar to other MAF translator devices.

Emanage ultimate has a water temp and air temp correction map, but user defined, if you want to feed the stock ECU a resistor and keep it at 75F all the time. This would be better because if you do not, your tuning will fight the ECU tune as the temperature changes.

Ignition Timing Display

I am using this on NA (5MGE). You can read and log actual ignition timing as picked up by the distributor. 7MGE should be the same way. To acheive this, "NE" will be run to crank signal input and "G" will be run to cam signal. If this is done correctly, the EMU will have a straight RPM signal without requiring a tach input.

7MGE and 7MGTE will have G1 and G2, so you will have to figure out which one will work. You do not need to interrupt the igniter to read ignition timing, so you can view this even if you don't use the timing control feature. Mine will pick up noise, so shielded wiring might be ideal. Every now and then the reading will go out of wack and show something like 90 degrees. It will reset at idle or a car re-start. One of the fun "issues" with emanage. After using a better ground, this happens less.

Timing Control

Like the blue you can use timing control. As we know the 7MGTE requires the custom adapter many have posted like the blue. 5M works fine, 7MGE, have not tested yet.

You can advance and retard timing for various conditions such as boost, temperature, throttle position (launch control), and transmission shifting.

I verified the timing changes with a timing light.

Direct Injector control

You can change duration (opening time) of the injectors OR injector duty by intercepting the injectors. My car will not start with this wired in. The ECU seems to want to see the injectors. I am sorting out which resistors or adapters I will need.

Additional Injector control

Instead of upgrading injectors, you can add more injectors to be used under boost.

Launch Control

Can hold a certain RPM to launch reliably OR 2 step boost building type of launch (timing retard)

Rev Limit Increase

EMU will hold injectors open past the rev limit. I tried this once and it seemed to work but I have to try again once my injectors are working properly. Note: There will be a moment of no injection during the switch over. This about .01 seconds, so be very careful about this feature with boost. After the switchover, the injectors will continue to spray what you put in.

7MGE Note :

You can use the NVCS Output map to control when your ACIS functions. It has a RPM vs throttle position (or air flow) map.

Other features not tried:

Sequential injection (Fire each injector individually)
Sequential ignition (Change to 6 coils)
A/F Target (Will adjust injector duty or duration to reach target A/F when using wideband)

Last edited:

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
Make sure for that much it includes adding a new air temp sensor.

Also after using the EMU for a while, I see that you may want to disable or "dummy" the o2 sensor. You can use autotune from the wideband and disable closed loop entirely on the stock ecu.

This prevents problems with the stock ECU trying to take things over after a tune.

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
It does come with it. Is this something you think that I could do? When I installed my new motor I put in my new engine harness and wired up and soldered my HKS Safr and I am the only person who has ever tuned it. I haven't messed with this stuff that much, but very interested!

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
935motorsports;1056307 said:
I'm not sure what you are asking?

Are you asking if you can install it yourself?

Yeah basically, I just want to see if this is something that I can do?

I've done everything with my safr myself and everything with my motor, but not much with this type of system before. I just want to get this set up and running, and wanted to see how hard it was for you to do this on your car? The system looks awesome.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
I also asked the same question on emanage forum. there is tons of info. on the ultimate and how/where to wire things up. There are a few members up and running with the ultimate in the UK and the down under.
Check it out, sorry I dont want to quote 350+ lines,(I dont want any more infractions) it is just easer to read it all for your self.
http://www.emanageforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1171

albert74

May 29, 2008
Florida
i bought a boomslang harness for the 1jzgte jza70 plugs for the emanage ultimate. i set the jumpers where i thought was right but for some reason my car won't start with the emanage plugged up. i've gone through the parameter menu and set what size injectors i'm running and what engine etc... but it still won't start. I don't know where i went wrong, if it was the jumpers i set wrong or if it's just a bad emanage box. Does anyone have the jumper settings for the 2jzgte? or can anyone help out with some tips for start up.

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
Greddy, doesn't make a pnp harness for our car at all. I called and talked to a tech for about 25 minutes yesterday. They are going to send me a wiring diagram for the 89T 5 spd ecu, with the pressure sensor harness for the afm delete. There are several MK4's running this in my area and loving it with close to 800rwhp. Hopefully they will be sending over soon so I can see exactly how to wire it up. I think that has been the main thing with the EMU, no one know's how to wire it up.

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
Keep in mind that you can use the stock boost sensor for AFM delete, but it will only go up to ~14.5 psi in reading. You would still need the pressure sensor harness, then cut and splice into the stock boost sensor output.

Purchasing the Greddy sensor is not required, but makes things much easier.

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
935motorsports;1078349 said:
Keep in mind that you can use the stock boost sensor for AFM delete, but it will only go up to ~14.5 psi in reading. You would still need the pressure sensor harness, then cut and splice into the stock boost sensor output.

Purchasing the Greddy sensor is not required, but makes things much easier.

Yeah, I want it to be as easy as I can, and the sensor will read more psi, now will I need the the stock boost sensor still if I get the greddy one? I'm guessing so since the ultimate is only a piggy back system