Nomad is BACK from the dead!

Nomad707

Im From The Bay
Mar 14, 2007
Santa Rosa, California
hey everyone. its been a several months since i've even been here. Well i guess i should start with the good news. its a long story.. so hang in there.

As most of you recall i had a large cancerous tumor in my upper throat. not anymore! I finally got my surgery, but nearly at the cost of my life. I got my surgery at queen of the valley medical center in napa, ca. surgery was performed by doctor kathleen healey. here's how it went.

i went down to napa for my surgery, that day they planned on taking out tonsils, adnoids, tumor, and do nasal reconstruction. i got the surgery with no complications, stayed a few days for recovery, and was sent home. After a few days of being at home, i didnt feel quite right. I decided to go to the hospital. When i got there blood was slowly seeping from my throat.. i told them i didnt feel right and i knew something was wrong and i asked to stay overnight just in case.. the E.R. doctor immidiately refused and said "this is all normal, the swelling and bleeding will go away" He sent me home after that. (this is about 11PM) I go home, pissed off, so i go to sleep. later on in the night at around 3AM i am about half awake and i am thinking, why am i swallowing so much? i get up, walk to the bathroom, and i am covered in blood, my tshirt, my face, my hands.
Im staring at myself in the bathroom mirror in disbeleif, and horror, hoping and preying it was a dream, but it wasnt. I open my mouth to look, and blood literally is squirting out of my mouth. I was filling cups of blood quickly, i ran outside and called 911. i left a trail of blood from my room to my driveway.
Now i find myself back at the hospital, wanting to slap the shit out of the doctor who sent me home. i am quickly filling up a 1 litre cup they gave me to spit in. FINALLY the doctor who sent me home, comes up, and looks terrified. he didnt know what to do and asked my MOM what to do (my mom works at the hospital) After about 3 minutes HE FUCKING LEAVES!!!!!! so after this, they want to get me started on blood transfusion, well, too bad. my blood type wasnt at the hospital. time to call the ghetto flight. helicopter arrives, and at this point i've lost more then one litre of blood. they get me on the helicopter, and on the way there, i lost another litre. the paramedic inside with me was talking to me, at this point i was getting very weak, thirsty and tired.i told him.. he said that we still had a ways to go. at that point i dont know how much more i lost.. but i knew i was going to die. i told the guy next to me that i was. i made my peace and accepted that my life was going to end in a helicopter.

to my disbeleif, we made it to queen of the valley again. at this point i was so weak and so tired, i could barely keep my eyes open, i couldnt move myself at all.. the doctor was there waiting, alone in an empty room in the hospital.. no nurses, no one else, just me, and her. she talks to me and tells me there is no time for anesthesia, no time for local, no time for any pain meds. she cauterizes the hell out of the artery. the worst pain and experience of my life.my mouth tasted like burning tissue and i could smell the sweet burning odor of my tissue.

finally the bleeding stopped, i could breathe, at this point a tear fell down my face. i was rushed to ICU after this, where i stayed in the hospital for more then a week, and getting 4 total blood transfusions.

After i was released, i was at home in bed for a month, i wasnt allowed to eat ANY solid food for 5 weeks. i later went back to the hospital that nearly killed me (st. helena clearlake) and went to the director and filed a complaint about the E.R. Doctor. It turns out when he left me to die, he went and hid in the employee break room. He was fired the next day i complained.. his medical liscence may be revoked.

at this point i am 100% recovered. i have alot of scar tissue in my mouth and throat, and some new growth that is being watched, but "isnt a threat"

anyways.. i just thought i would let you all know what happened. I am still alive, i dont know why, but i'm still here.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Nomad707;1441173 said:
at this point i am 100% recovered. i have alot of scar tissue in my mouth and throat, and some new growth that is being watched, but "isnt a threat"

Wow. That's one hell of an ordeal you've been through. I'm glad you're feeling better.

Hope things continue to get better.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
WOW, Hell of a story. Glad you're getting better.
Also- I've never seen someone so truly motivated to improving performance. I mean- usually people will get rid of bumper supports and interior pieces to lighten up, but you!- Pulling adnoids and tonsils?? MAD props man!!!

j/k- Welcome back!

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
Bessemer, Alabama, United States
Glad to hear you are alive!

You know, I never advocate medical lawsuits, but in this case, I would have to file against that first ER Doctor. You don't send people home who are bleeding, and you especially don't send home people bleeding in their throat because it can drain into the lungs. That ER Doc shoulda gotten a consult. What all labwork did the ER draw? Get your records from the first hospital and see what your results from the ER were.

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
I am so glad to see you back here, and am so happy for you that you got the surgery you needed, even if it didn't quite go as planned.

As before, if you need anything at all, please send me a pm.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Reading your story made me relieved, but very angry for you. It is downright infuriating. I am glad that you survived, not just because you are "one of us", but also because you may save many other lives by yelling loud enough to get that doctor canned.

You were probably pretty "out of it" but I have to ask: during your near death experience in the helo, did you have any revelations or deep thoughts to share?

Good to see you back!

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Welcome back, dude. That's one hell of a story, glad to see you pull through!

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Welcome back. That was one hell of an ordeal you went through. I can't believe he ran and hid in the breakroom. He just knew you weren't going to make it.... or at least he thought.

This is your second lease on life, and it looks like you have ALOT of it left.
"And he said someday I hope you get the chance to live like you were dying." - Tim McGraw.
That song comes to mind in a good way. Make the most of life and take nothing for granted.