no turning back now

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
So now I spent almost a grand on parts and machining for the head. It just hit me, I should've bought a jz. Damn! What was I thinking

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
1/5th? Probably less than that even. A good jz conversion can be anywhere from $4-8k even if you're doing nearly all the wrenching.

Op: if you thought building any type of supra motor and doing it right would be cheap, you're dead wrong, lol.

Build it right and enjoy the 7m. :)

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
tyang82;1805256 said:
But another grand or so I could've bought a jz
lol - sure, if you were looking at just the cost of the engine. Then you need to add in all the extra parts to simply mount it - like the new bellhousing, engine mounts, oilpan, and the like, the wiring headache, buying the stuff that didn't come with the engine - there always seems to be some missing or broken sensors, deciding how you are going to cool the radiator and buying that solution, fabbing the all new intercooler piping (and getting a new intercooler), and so on, and so forth.

All that will add some cost. And by some, I mean lots.

Furthermore, at the end of that road, you're left with a stock 2J that's been through who knows how much abuse. Want to ensure you're getting a good motor? Add a bunch more money to tear it down, remachine everything, and put it all back together again. The price for that won't be any different from a 7M.

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
That pretty much sums it up. If you dont have deep pockets a 7m is more than capable meeting the power people want. If u want to make more than 700hp then the prices start to become closer when building a 7m. But when all is said and done getting a tired 2j or a fresh built 7m...I would do the 7m

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
gurley0916;1805271 said:
That pretty much sums it up. If you dont have deep pockets a 7m is more than capable meeting the power people want. If u want to make more than 700hp then the prices start to become closer when building a 7m. But when all is said and done getting a tired 2j or a fresh built 7m...I would do the 7m
Agreed. There's no way I'd just drop an engine in one of my cars without breaking it open and checking it out, unless it came from someone I trust a LOT. Just for the pain in the ass factor alone - it's so much easier to check an engine when it's already on the stand, versus pulling it out of a car and putting it on the stand.

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
Im willing to go that route. Just thinking about it, I'm gonna spend a lot regardless. Power goals for this year is only stock and I already spent a grand. I only want 500hp and its gonna cost about 5 grand for parts.

That's when I think about the jz. I've been inspired by you jz guys and that's what makes me think about it like that. I won't turn back though. I will continue the 7M and maybe after I'm done with my power goals I will put a jz in my n/a which has been sitting in my yard.

My love for the supra will never end. Why I say that, because the n/a was my dads when I was still a kid. I use to go sit in the car and pretend to drive it.

Jz or the mark 4 is on my radar. That's all I got to say.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
I think my 1jz swap with stock twins came out to ~3500 all said and done (getting the motor for $1900 shipped is the main reason). I cut some corners then that I am fixing now. I estimate that it would cost around 4500 to do it right, the first time.

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
foreverpsycotic;1805335 said:
I think my 1jz swap with stock twins came out to ~3500 all said and done (getting the motor for $1900 shipped is the main reason). I cut some corners then that I am fixing now. I estimate that it would cost around 4500 to do it right, the first time.

That's what I've been looking at too. I do sometimes see front clips from driftmotion for a decent price.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
foreverpsycotic;1805335 said:
Hence my 1/5th of the way there post, add in some fluids and bits and pieces and you're "there" but still have a second hand engine of unknown quality...

KTM530

Supramania Contributor
Jan 24, 2011
santa rosa
I have read of guys runnin jz's on 7m electronics, seem that could be a huge help if cost was a concern. Or we're the articles I was reading bull? Seems very possible.