no turning back now

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
KTM530;1805360 said:
I have read of guys runnin jz's on 7m electronics, seem that could be a huge help if cost was a concern. Or we're the articles I was reading bull? Seems very possible.

Possible. Mainly 2JZ-GE engine on 7M-GTE electronics.

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
Sounds like a beast. I don't want that kind of power although it would by nice to have. I tried looking for your build thread but seems like you took it off.

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
Lol, this thread was just a saying that I'm rebuilding my car to stock specs and what I'm spending I could've just bought a jz motor. Now I can't quit it :D

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Eh, live and learn I suppose. In my case, I spent 5k on a car that had a turbo 7m, suspension, exhaust, and a few other nice bits. I spent about 3k on 7m related nonsense, and found out later that the car had a compromised chassis. If I could go back in time, I'd slap myself, buy back my clean (nearly immaculate aside from faded bumpers) 88 for the 2k I sold it for. Then, I would have spent about 4-5k on the 1j swap I ended up doing anyway, and in the long run, I would have had a better car, for about 5k less overall.

All in how you do things... Nothing at all wrong with sticking with the 7m, *if done right*. ;)

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
te72;1805531 said:
Eh, live and learn I suppose. In my case, I spent 5k on a car that had a turbo 7m, suspension, exhaust, and a few other nice bits. I spent about 3k on 7m related nonsense, and found out later that the car had a compromised chassis. If I could go back in time, I'd slap myself, buy back my clean (nearly immaculate aside from faded bumpers) 88 for the 2k I sold it for. Then, I would have spent about 4-5k on the 1j swap I ended up doing anyway, and in the long run, I would have had a better car, for about 5k less overall.

All in how you do things... Nothing at all wrong with sticking with the 7m, *if done right*. ;)

Well said....very well said!

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
te72;1805531 said:
There's nothing wrong with either engine, if done right.

However, dropping an unknown condition engine in your car, whether it's a 2J, 7M, or SBC, is a recipe for disaster, IMO.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Grim, so you don't support JDM engines even from good supplier?

A local Supra shop has bought numerous engine, 2JZ and 1JZ from our local importer and while their prices are about one to two hundred more than online, all of them have been great motors and some have been going for over five years now in stock form. Only time a few were pulled apart, was just to build the head.

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
GrimJack;1805542 said:

However, dropping an unknown condition engine in your car, whether it's a 2J, 7M, or SBC, is a recipe for disaster, IMO.

'Unknown' in what purpose? Unknown because you haven't seen it running or Unknown because you don't know in what sort of condition it is in mechanically, and if it is the later, would you consider pulling the engine out of every second hand car you bought just to make the unknowns known?

Soarers are getting broken up for 1JZs over here all of the time. When it does come to putting a 1J in my NA track car I'll probably end up buying a doner Soarer, taking the engine and binning the shell mainly because for the few hundred dollars maximum it would cost buying the complete car over buying an already pulled engine I'll know for sure that it ran well. Would you go a step further and tear the doner engine down and check for wear, even though it ran perfectly fine?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
IBoughtASupra;1805547 said:
Grim, so you don't support JDM engines even from good supplier?

A local Supra shop has bought numerous engine, 2JZ and 1JZ from our local importer and while their prices are about one to two hundred more than online, all of them have been great motors and some have been going for over five years now in stock form. Only time a few were pulled apart, was just to build the head.
I don't have any problem buying a JDM engine, but I wouldn't put one in my car without taking it apart. The main reason for this is simply insurance. Look at it this way, there are three possible scenarios:

1. Buy engine and install in car without checking - cheapest in terms of both time and money invested
2. Buy engine, tear apart and inspect, re-assemble, install in car - extra costs over #1 incurred are gaskets, bearings, and a few extra hours
3. Buy engine and install in car without checking, then run into problems - extra costs over #1 include the costs of #2, PLUS at least 16 extra hours invested for the extra engine removal and reinstallation.

#2 is a minimal investment with a high return.

DonS1mpson;1805577 said:
'Unknown' in what purpose? Unknown because you haven't seen it running or Unknown because you don't know in what sort of condition it is in mechanically, and if it is the later, would you consider pulling the engine out of every second hand car you bought just to make the unknowns known?

Soarers are getting broken up for 1JZs over here all of the time. When it does come to putting a 1J in my NA track car I'll probably end up buying a doner Soarer, taking the engine and binning the shell mainly because for the few hundred dollars maximum it would cost buying the complete car over buying an already pulled engine I'll know for sure that it ran well. Would you go a step further and tear the doner engine down and check for wear, even though it ran perfectly fine?
I'm talking about the unknown quality of the engine, not the fact that I haven't seen it running, although taking it from a running car would go a long way towards easing my paranoia, especially if I could get a leakdown check, oil sample, etc.

I wouldn't pull the engine on a second hand car - it's not the same situation. When swapping an engine into a Supra, you already have the engine outside of a vehicle on a stand initially. Breaking it open and inspecting it, replacing all it's gaskets and bearings at that point can be done at the cost of a few hours and a few dollars.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
IBoughtASupra;1805536 said:
Well said....very well said!
Cost me a lot of money to learn that lesson... also taught me to have an end goal in mind, or learn to be less picky. ;)

GrimJack;1805542 said:

GrimJack;1805608 said:
When swapping an engine into a Supra, you already have the engine outside of a vehicle on a stand initially. Breaking it open and inspecting it, replacing all it's gaskets and bearings at that point can be done at the cost of a few hours and a few dollars.
This is true. ALL things like this are easier to do with the engine out than trying to troubleshoot leaks, wiring issues, etc, with the engine is in the car. Like I've always said, it's faster, and cheaper, to do it right the first time.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Nick M;1806139 said:
Somebody besides Toyota builds the JZ series of engines?

What are you talking about? Let me break it down for you.

JDM engines - Meaning all engines, not just a JZ

Good supplier - One who doesn't sell motors that has broken parts and stands by/offers a warranty.